How can I tell my parents that I'm experiencing anxiety?

Australia

Catherine Davis, I aim to help you to beat your blues and to feel empowered. Fast and effective psychotherapy.

Therapist

Hello. I'm Catherine. I am a psychotherapist. It's my aim to help you beat your blues and to feel empowered.

Anonymous
be straight up, honest, write it down on a piece of paper everything your feeling inside and hand it to them, if it helps leave the room while they read it
Killer4Karra
Just be open and honest with them. Sit down with them and tell them what's going on, and tell them that you want to keep communication lines open. They care about you and I'm sure will be supportive of you and help you get the help you need.
ChocolateOrange
It depends on the individual situation, but I'd suggest: trying to find out how much they know about the subject-not their opinions but their knowledge having plenty of information on hand to show them prepare yourself for a potentially difficult conversation. Even the best of parents can become defensive about things like this because no matter their understanding of it, they will very likely blame themselves. Guilt can make a person irrational. Frustrating as it can be, you may have to reassure them a little as well as explain how they can help you. If you do have some form of help or reassurance in mind that you need, make it clear to them what you want. If you let them know you don't blame them for your anxiety and you'd like their help, it could be a bit smoother.
Anonymous
Just tell them in the most precise way possible, maybe over dinner or at a time when they're not preoccupied. Try not to stall though. It'll be okay.
Anonymous
It shouldn't be difficult to tell your parents that you have anxiety. General anxiety is an ok thing to have, but if it's severe, you need to talk to someone. If you need to tell them, it's important to do so. Just come out with it, give it to them straight and say that you're experiencing it and you think that you can use some help.
Anonymous
Telling your parents about anxiety is difficulty but not for parents usually its the person with anxiety, deciding your going to tell your parents your anxiety is bad is hard and requires alot of confidence try saying... "hi mum/dad can I talk to you for a minute I need to tell you something" then explain that you have been feeling anxious and you could use some help.
Anonymous
Make sure your parents are in a good mood, and then start speaking about your anxiety, juss start telling u have something important to tell and continue
4thepeople20
Just tell them. Parents can seem kind of scary when you have something to talk to them about, but just letting them know will get you a long way.
NorthernLights30
You can approach them then they are not busy doing anything and tell them that you have been experiencing some anxiety lately.
Anonymous
Go to them and tell them you have something important to talk about. They are there for you. Teach them as much about it as you can to give them a better understanding of what you’re going through
Anonymous
Start by sitting down with them in a comfortable environment, tell them you have been experiencing anxiety. I'm sure they will be super supportive!
Rwtrek22
Your parents love you and care for you, you should find a good time where there won’t be any distractions and you can have a meaningful conversation.
BeeboIsQueen
This can be a tricky question for pretty much everyone, especially depending on the parents. If your parents are typically accepting people, then you could typically ask if you could take a mental health screening at your next doctor visit (ask them, text them, write a letter, etc. Whatever you are most comfortable with). As hard as that can be, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. Some parents are not accepting or willing to listen, and some don't believe in mental health at all. You may have to open the conversation about stigmatism around topics and just casually ask about their opinion on mental health. Some doctors require a mental health screening (or offer), and you can just take that as honestly as possible and have doctors take it from there. If none of this works for you, resources like 7 cups of tea are wonderful to help you move forward on your adventure in life.
Anonymous
Parents chose to bring you into the world. If they chose this as a path (to have you) then they are more than willing to support you even at your worst. find a time that best suites you and your parents and explain to them as much, do not hold back what you think should be said and be open for their advice too. They may have experienced the same too. If you feel your parents are unapproachable, you can see a therapist and ask them to be there with you. I am sure they will either give you a listening ear and if you are not comfortable then they will agree to accompany you to the therapist, do not beat yourself for what you are experiencing
professionalOasis2902
When is the best time to talk with your parents during the day where they will be most receptive to an active conversation? Also, consider if there are certain times of the day when they will not be receptive, or are already busy with work. When I need to talk with someone about a serious issue, I try to choose a time during the day when they can focus completely on our conversation. Focusing on their best time of day will allow for a fluid conversation. Sometimes I write down what I want to say before a conversation, or even have bullet points so I can express myself fluently.