How can you stop anxiety attacks?

How can you stop anxiety attacks?

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

FrancescaGabrielle
Diaphragmatic breathing is a great strategy to help calm you down during a panic or anxiety attack. Please visit one of 7 Cups of Tea's Self Help Guides dealing with Panic Attacks or Anxiety in general. There will be a video listed underneath the breathing category. Attempt to learn how to breathe and visit www.calm.com (make sure your volume is turned up!). Slowly breathe as you watch and listen to the serene imagery and meditation music. Try to clear your thoughts and think of a place where you feel the most comfortable or relaxed (the ocean, your home, etc). Let me know how it goes! I hope this helps.
Anonymous
Realizing that what your experiencing in the moment is an anxiety attack and that it will pass. The sense of impending doom might be there but telling yourself that nothing bad is happening and it will be over soon. Close your eyes and take a deep breath, try to relax and not think about anything stressful. Get up and walk around if needed to get the blood circulating. Putting your hands in warm running water seems to be a great trick to use if you are still feeling anxious. It's calming and at the same time get's the blood flowing a little better.
24hoursaday
The number-one thing I do is try to shift my awareness from some feared future event to the present moment. Am I safe and relatively comfortable now? If so, I can pause, breathe, and re-assess the situation. In my experience, anxiety is often the result of distorted thinking. I have to ask myself whether my fears are rational, and explore what has caused it. What is the worst possible outcome? How likely is it? These considerations can help "right size" the problem.
Savana13
Deep breaths, distraction, grounding techniques, therapy, medicine, facing fears slowly, avoidance only makes it worse.
Anonymous
im not sure if there is a stop. usually i just have to ride them out and use my coping mechanisms that i learned at therapy
Krovnikkk
Find trustworthy friends and talk it out, mostly your true friends will listen and help you get through it :)
beccabear
It can feel childish after the fact, but covering my face is my #1 reaction. Taking away all outside stimulation like that can allow me to focus on breathing and grounding myself. I recite my name, my age, where I am, what year it is, and continue onto affirmations from there.
Emilybrewer1
I'm sure you have heard it before. Deep breaths! You are probably tired of hearing about it but I promise you! It works! A lot! When you are doing this, don't focus on anything else but your breathing! Give it a try
Nelgatha7
I find that stopping anxiety attacks is something that can be really hard, what helps me the most is thinking about the situation, almost constantly, without letting my fear take control, thinking things over, is an ''easy'' way of remaining calmer, even if just a little, and that in turn will help keep anxiety attacks at bay.
ams96
It's very hard to stop anxiety attacks. A good way that I relieve my anxiety attacks is to find something that keeps me busy, such as reading, or something to keep me distracted.
Axelle360
Count to 10 and close your eyes, go to the toilet and wash your hands with cold water. Listen to your favorite not sad song.
MllePenguin
Take inventory of details that exist around you and what your thoughts are saying. Are these things rational? Or not?
Anonymous
You can stop anxiety attacks by just taking deep breaths I know it's clique but it helps. Over thinking things is not going to help, clear you mind and know that I'm always here to help
TheBroda
Deep breathe and remember that there are people all over the world feeling like you feel and you are not alone!
Nervana1
By taking few deep breaths ..and by relaxing while you are taking those deep breaths ..you can do meditation too as it helps in releasing out anxiety ..you can also start practicing the things that you love .
Anonymous
You can stop anxiety attacks by exercising daily, Retraining Breathing and Checking your diet, although it cant affect your anxiety levels as much.
blissfulKoala22
Seperate yourself from everyone and get to ANY location where you can meditate. Take deep breaths, inhaling from your nose and exhaling through your mouth, and clear your mind from the thoughts that are racing in your head.
AkieraFTW
I typically think of the worst case scenario, getting to the very bottom of my anxiety. Once I'm faced with this fear, I try to think of a solution and eventually the panic fades and I can breathe again.
Anonymous
Deep breathing and stress relieving techniques. 7 cups offers a variety of self help guides that can help manage this.
neothehelper
by thinking about the thing you care about most and doing what you like, like start singing or do crazy dance moves anything to divert your mind
jakfullofwandering
Some ways to stop anxiety attacks are controlling your breathing and focusing on that, telling yourself that you are going to be okay while controlling your breathing, and talking to your doctor about a medication whether that be preventative or situation.
imLostinTime
What works for me personally,Is to stop for a minute,take long breaths and find out what is causing it,and ask yourself,but is that realistic?.When i was at an therapist he recomennded me this method,to i could stop it before it really hit me hard.
Anonymous
Just focus on your breathing and realise that it will pass. Don't panic further and make it worse. Relax
ErinW
I've been suffering from the occasional anxiety attack since 2013. Anxiety attacks are among the most terrifying things a person can go through, so to feel overwhelmed and helpless, even fearful in regard to them is completely normal. The best thing you can do to stop an anxiety attack is to follow the same rules you'd follow for falling into quicksand. 1) Don't fight it. Trying to struggle against the pull of quicksand only makes it worse. Same goes for anxiety attacks. To try and force yourself to calm down only compounds the stress and anxiety, making you sink deeper. Instead, recognize that you are having an anxiety attack and get ready for step two. 2) Search for a vine or a branch. After you've stopped flailing and fighting against the quicksand, you need to find something to help you pull yourself out. In the case of anxiety attacks, your branch could be a favorite song, a favorite movie, a stuffed animal you love, a real animal you love, or a good old fashioned person who's willing to listen to you. Or your branch could be all of these things. Or your branch could be a literal branch if you're into that sort of thing. Whatever it is, just keep reaching for that branch and before you know it, you'll be out of that quicksand and back safely on solid ground.
neverendingForest20
When I have an anxiety attack, I try to talk to someone who understands and can help. What really helps is when someone does these breathing exercises with me. I also try to distract myself by reading, nothing triggering, or watching a series, film or funny video, again, nothing triggering!
peacefulUnicorns15
November 2nd, 2015 10:43am
keep calm and focus on one thing that you like to do the most.either listen to some good music.go on a walk.talk to someone who understands you better
LivieLove
It's different for each person because we are all unique, but I overcame my anxiety attacks in several ways. I did all the breathing stuff that people always suggest, and that definitely did help, but what really helped me in my specific was that I started becoming more confident in myself and I kind of told and convinced myself that I wasn't scared anymore, and after a while, it worked.
Anonymous
There's a broad spectum of coping mechanisms for preventing, delaying, and managing anxietyattacks. Ranging from "Avoiding stressful situations as much as possible", to "Regular execise to increase endurance and lower blood pressure", to "Taking deep, calm regular breaths to calm you down", to "Counting slowly to 50 to allow time to pass and anxiety with it", to "medication", to home remedies like "Anise, mint tea, baboong".....etc Good luck :)
SoialWorkerAllan
One good way of stopping anxiety attacks is going outside and getting some fresh air and having a nice power walk. Another one is taking long deep breaths. You can also listen or watch relaxation videos
HelloImMe143
It really depends on the level of the panic attack and the things it effects. try finding things that calm you and make you feel safe.