How can you stop anxiety attacks?

How can you stop anxiety attacks?

Penny Dahlen, Ed.D., LPC

I am committed to helping you find your passion, heal old wounds, and flow smoother in all aspects of your life path! I use a compassionate listening approach.

Mia27Elephants
The best to stop a panic attack is to not think of having one. Keep telling yourself you wont have a panic attack. Also talking about why you are getting this anxiety attacks is a great first step to finding the root of the problem.
Anonymous
A good way is to stop and breathe slowly in and out. Tell yourself that it's just a moment in time and it will pass. That seems to help me. Also distracting yourself with a funny video or by going for a walk outside can help as well.
Anonymous
The bravest people out there are the ones with battle scars. Think of happy thoughts and good things that will happen in the future. A birth, marriage, etc.
Anonymous
Anxiety attacks are pretty scary. Especially when you're alone. Something that works for me is laying on my back on the ground and taking deep breaths. I try to take my mind off of the anxiety attack by focusing entirely on my breathing. Sometimes I count to three for each breath I take. Other times I turn on a song and focus on the instruments.
Anonymous
Anxiety attacks cannot stop immediately. A good way to calm down is to try and get away from what is making you anxious. Listening to music or reading is a good way to calm down. Deep breaths help a lot as wwll
GingerWatermelon1999
In my opinion to stop an anxiety attack is to distract yourself mental and physically, once you have calmed yourself down by distracting yourself, you then have a clear mind to strip down the problem one step at a time and at your own pace, never rush yourself :)
Hayleigh2112
Coping with anxiety attacks is tough. For me I went for professional help and got some medication and talking therapy which has helped a great deal.
Anonymous
By breathing slowly and taking yourself out of the situation that caused you to have it. Take slow, deep breaths and clear your mind.
Anonymous
1) Learn to manage what is causing your anxiety - are you avoiding some sort of responsibility? at work? at school? in a relationship? at home? what are you desperately trying to escape from?? Try and list everything out. 2) Make routine exercise and routine sleep a top priority - these will help you not only increase the endorphins in your body, and help you to be comfortable with a faster heart rate in the context of a safe environment (I recommend at least one period of high intensity exercise per week, and two to three periods of low intensity exercise per week, totally no less than three hours of exercise, weekly!), but the routine sleep will help you stabilize the chemicals in your brain, while keeping your day somewhat in a comfortable routine. Set aside all your distractions, and aim for 7~9 hours per night, and no less than 6 hours on any given day, no matter what! 3) Eat a healthy, nutritious diet - cut out on junk food more than once per week! 4) Reduce alcohol and coffee intake - depending on how severe your anxiety is. These things are only minor refinements, and I suggest completely stopping your intake of these drinks if you are extremely prone to anxiety, as they have immediate impacts on your brain chemicals, your ability to think and rationalize, and your heart rate. 5) Breathe - learn methods of deep breathing. When you feel your heart beating, learn the 4-7-8 method of breathing. Inhale for four counts, hold your breath for seven counts, and exhale deeply (and loudly) for eight counts. Repeat this for 2~3 minutes or as long as you desire until you feel comfortable. My general tip is to learn to continue with what you are doing (work, or whatever) as you are breathing, and do not be afraid to stop though, if you need to.
Kiahleaz
Breathe and go on 7cups! Its helps to talk to someone and its even better that you can't see them, because some people can get social anxiety that way!
TurtleBrooke2
Personally I try grounding myself for a sense of reality. I look for what i can see, hear, feel, etc. Also, stress toys are amazing!
kylahh
Understand what starts them and know what helps you best. When you feel it coming on start taking deep breaths and let yourself know you can control and stop it from getting worse!
FlowerTheSun
Searching for distractions! Whether it be a game, or by having someone talk to me- anything to keep my mind off my current state and the lowness that I'm feeling!
EnigmaticPetrichor
Try taking a deep breath in, tensing all of the muscles in your body at the same time. Hold it for 5 seconds, and then as you exhale and relax your body, picture yourself blowing out the anxiety/emotional tension. Keep doing this until you're calmer. You can also try Progressive Muscle Relaxation tapes on youtube to try and calm down. Allow yourself to have the panic attack-- otherwise, it will get a lot worse.
humminghawk
Preventative measures are the best way to address anxiety. By practicing mindfulness, for example, you will be more aware of when an anxiety attack is about to occur, and thus can avoid it sooner. If you are already experiencing an attack, deep breathing is a very effective method to ease your anxiety. If you are able, pause what you are doing, close your eyes, and take deep breaths, each one deeper than the last, counting as you go. Peace, Devin
Anonymous
If you feel an anxiety beginning, it is important to calm yourself down as much as you can. Sit yourself comfortably, take deep breaths and just relax. If possible, have someone with you to keep you safe incase anything happens and to help with anything you need. Drinking water is important as it keeps you hydrated and can prevent you feeling faint. The main solution however, would be to just keep yourself calm and relaxed, and the attack should slowly ease off.
Anonymous
I get this... i cant stop shaking and i cant see clearly. I cant hear or think. Its terifying to be honest. im sorry but i have no advice for you. Does anyone have any for me? x
Sollas
Find what works best for you and try pin point your triggers. Deep breathing can be effective, distraction techniques and changing your thoughts can assist
grassence
the main thing you can control is your breathing. try the 4 7 8 breathing technique. in for four seconds hold it for seven seconds and out for eight seconds. repeat.
taybay2k16
You can stop anxiety attacks, in my own opinion, by having what I call an "Emergency Squishy". Which is like a stress ball, essentially, but it can be anything you can grip onto without breaking. I usually take mine everywhere because attacks can happen out of nowhere, I understand, so when I feel like one could pop up, I take it out and squeeeeeeze it til I'm better! :)
Anonymous
Breathing is very powerful. Try to focus on deep belly breathing, put your entire focus on controlling your breathing and when the thoughts try to go back to why you should panick, redirect them back to deep belly breathing for several minutes until you feel better. Takes focus but is powerful!
TehRingmaster
Stop. Breath. Focus. Take time to consider what has triggered the attack. Remind yourself that this too shall pass. Whatever is happening is not permanent and you will survive this. The world may seem like it's crashing down, but if you recognize what is happening and accept it you can move forward. Find a way to focus. Make sure you a breathing. Find five things you can see, four things you can hear, three things you can smell, two you can touch and one you can taste.
HeartfulJewel38
Concentrating on your breathing is the best way to start when you are felling anxiety or having an attack. Mindfulness exercises and meditation does wonders. Breathe in slowly through your nose and into your belly.This sends a soothing signal to your brain. Then exhale slowly through your mouth. This will help calm you. Focus on your breathing and nothing else.
Anonymous
Anxiety attacks can't necessarily be stopped, but by being aware of your surroundings and your emotions you can attempt to remove yourself from an anxiety-inducing situation before an anxiety attack occurs. Medication is also an option.
colourfulmiragee
April 22nd, 2016 9:49am
By identifying the trigger that causes anxiety and taking control of it, for example if any of the habit of your loved ones causes anxiety among you, you should communicate it with him rather than suppres it.
Anonymous
Try to shuffle Your thoughts this will help you to stay relax. Sharing is the best solution for this too
justanotherteenhelping
breathe. reminisce over times you felt in control, whether that be alone or in someone elses company
iseeseashells
In my experience, sometimes it's best to identify what is causing the attack. For example, are you feeling overwhelmed by a crowd? Sometimes you need to step away for a moment, get a breath of fresh air, focus on your breathing. Telling a close friend who understands can also help soothe you. Remember to focus on that the feeling with pass, and don't blame yourself for these feelings.
booklover1224
The best way to stop an anxiety attack is to try and get out of the situation. Find a space apart where you can wait a little bit. Hopefully it will subside. If it doesn't, it's perfectly ok to ask for help. One thing that seems to work for me is counting multiples 12, since it's my lucky number.
Iknowyou
Meditate It is important to release the tension in your body. So focus on that tension (especially in the belly). Act normal and call a friend or play some music Try to stay calm and grab your phone if that is possible. Do something that can keep your mind off of your negative thoughts. If you can't use your phone then leave the room for a few minutes. If you're in an airplane then go to the toilet for example. Go back to the cause of anxiety Usually the cause is not as heavy as you might think. Be honest to yourself while you think deeply about the cause. You don't have to do this alone. In fact, it is better to do this with someone else. Maybe with family or a good friend or perhaps you could talk with a professional. Maybe you need to change your lifestyle. Whatever it is, try not to be afraid of it (the cause). As long as you're not avoiding it, it will get better and better.