How do I attend my online classes (video conferencing) when I have terrible social anxiety? My classes are important but I don't think I can attend them.

Deane Rain Marie, LMFT

I take a holistic approach in working with eating disorders, mood disorders, relationships, and the LGBTQ community. I use EMDR, Dreamwork, Stories, CBT and Cinema therapy.

greentea12034
I would recommend joining the video conference, but turning off your camera and microphone. This way, you can be sure that no one is looking at you or paying attention to you, which can be extremely stressful. Most teachers like their classes to be muted anyway, so that they can teach in a silent setting. If your classes are meeting on google meets or zoom, the teacher usually has screen presenting on and no one will notice if a student doesn't have their camera on. If you absolutely cannot join these calls, be honest and email your teacher about it to see if you can receive work and instructions separately. More often than not, teachers will understand that the current situation creates various issues and will try to help you out.
Valkyrjan
Maybe it will help to get into comfy clothes and go to the place you like the most so you have a nice, comfortable atmosphere. If its possible, you may join the online class without video. But if so, you also don't need to worry. The other people will focus on the topic. So maybe it will also help to focus just on what the professor will tell and not on the other people. Maybe there is also some kind of functionality that you just see the slides of the presentation and the person which is talking right now.