How do I deal with all the anxiety and stress from school?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

Anonymous
Calm them down. Even if they are not having an anxiety surge right at that moment, they will still feel restless and stressed, Try your best to create a calming environment, one in which they feel safe to let go a little and just take a breath. Instruct and guide them through a few relaxation exercises, such as breathing through the abdomen, deep muscle relaxation, and visualisation. You may as well combine these three exercises, according to the speaker's feedback. Urge them to use those systematically in their everyday lives and turn them into a coping or distraction mechanism for when they start to feel overwhelmed.
JoyfulHeart822
Take a deep breath. You can do this. Just think, everyone you know has gone through some form of school and not everyone has enjoyed it. But you can get through it. Take it one step at a time and remember that this is just a phase of your life that will not last forever. Try to see school as a positive step towards reaching your future goals, and remember not to sweat the small stuff.
Anonymous
Take a deep breathe. Take time for you. School is extremely stressful. School is super important, but so is your health. You need to take care of yourself.
Matt5698
The best way to deal with anxiety due to school, is the speak to your school counsellor or special educational needs department, as they are able to put things in place to help you enjoy school a little bit more. I realise this can be daunting at first, but it is there job.
originalLion57
Reach out, talk to teachers and friends and family and please please PLEASE realize that your grades don't equal your worth or how intelligent you are.
Anonymous
For starters, you can plan ahead (including building time to relax into your schedule!), try not to overload yourself with work (do you really need those extra course units?), and know you do not have to perform *everything* perfectly. In five or ten years, no one will care or know to ask what grade you earned in Cultural Landscapes 1. However, you might remember something useful you learned from that course — so, personally, I would focus on retaining whatever information you think will truly help you in your future pursuits, whatever you guess they may be. School is about learning, learning is internalizing information you did not have previously, and the true measure of your learning is not your grades, extracurriculars or honors, but how you gather knowledge you can actually put to good use. You can set your own learning goals and keep them at heart, first and foremost (and even discuss them with your instructors and advisers), and hopefully those internal goals will keep you from stressing too much about arbitrary measures, like that random quiz on Thursday.
Anonymous
Anxiety is very common for all who learns. But it's ourselves who has to take initiative to overcome it. I used to study according to the timetable daily and keep time for playing ,develop my hobbies and watching TV. Relax well when you do all these. Sleep on time by 10pm for 7hrs. When everything goes well on track obviously your anxiety will reduce. And at last I used to think if I fails or couldn't answer for anything at school, nobody can kill us right?? :) Then why to worry so much? Make lots of friends to enjoy your life..
confidentSoul35
Find a passion/interest and start working towards it, with all your skill. Once you get good at it, You'll free yourself from all sorts of anxiety and stress.
Uniqueg
Maybe you can find some time to relax and do activities that you enjoy that will take your mind off of the stresses and anxiety of school.
Anonymous
If you've got loads of homework, try to take one thing at a time. like if you have math, chemistry and history, focus at one thing, get that completely done and then move on to next.
Erynn
Having a schedule and managing my time helps me, as does journaling and making sure I have enough sleep. I try to do some studying every day AND do something relaxing every day. It's hard to always be balanced, but it's something to strive for because it reduces stress. TIme with friends and/or acquaintances is important, and a hobby or two can help (but not so many they stress you out too) If anxiety is impairing your daily life, you might see a doctor, counselor, and/or psychiatrist for advice and further support.
LouisaCT
Hey there, I know school can be stressful, especially if you're going through exam times right now. Firstly, remember that at some point this stress and anxiety will pass, so here are some things you can do in the mean time to help ease anxiety! Minfulness - is the practice of awareness and attention to what's going on inside of you, around you, or anything you notice. To practice mindfulness you can do anything (breathing, walking, sitting, reading, etc) as long as you do it with attention and awareness.. For example, breathe (my favorite one) in one big breath, feel it go down to your diaphragm, fill up your belly for a minute, then slowly feel yourself exhale it.. repeat this a few times and ONLY pay attention to your breath and what your body is doing. If you get distracted THAT'S OKAY, just come back to your breath and try again.. do this for at least 5 minutes a day (I suggest)... do ANYTHING mindfully for a few minutes.. it helps your mind ease away from all the worries constantly fluttering around there.. and distracts you. Making schedules might help also. prioritize what you have to get done and when they need to be done by.. but remember you need to schedule some self-care time in there , every day.. :) If you find your anxiety still persists when you're trying your best to manage it, please consider going and talking to someone (therapist, school counsellor, teacher, doctor, etc) about how you're feeling! I know it's difficult, but from my own personal experience, it really does help!! :)
Anonymous
What I do is I control my breath and tackle things little by little. With my breathing, I take in 4 breaths, hold it for 4, let go for 4 and hold for 4. It really helps me. If my mind wanders from the breathing, I slowly bring it back and it really relaxes me. Also, when it comes to the work, I make lists on what I have to do, and just focus on one thing I can do in that time frame. When I tackle things one by one, it makes it seem less overwhelming.
smileitswhit
I make out list, and due dates, so I know what I need to get done and when. Each time I mark off a task it's like this block of stress is lifted off my shoulders.
braveIris99
Organise your life little,exercise,take long baths,talk about it with friends,laugh a little,have a sit down and prioritise things(it's a test,no matter how your parents and society have conditioned you to think it's not a major factor I your life)MEDITATE,lay off the caffeine and sugars,sleep well and be mindful.
Anonymous
What I found worked best for me is to treat myself. With make up, walks, flowers, chocolate, fun movie.
iwillalwayscare
I've always dealt with anxiety and stress from school. I always wanted to have straight A's and if I didn't I got mad, depressed and I was confused , and kept thinking about me ruining that grade, and how I could have studied more and I would have got better grades. Ever since being in a relationship, I kind of got loose. I still got mostly straight A's, I got the same grades, I just didn't stress out that much. I studied as much as I felt, maybe more times over. MY TIPS, for dealing with all the anxiety is that you should find a hobby where you can forget about school and concentrate on that hobby. Get a chart and write down when you want to study, and study about an hour a day, and don't leave it for the last day. As tempting as it seems, and as lazy you might feel, if you leave it for the last day, because of stress you won't remember as good, you will mix it up and you won't study as happily than otherwise. Make studying fun! Start early so you don't feel like you will run out of time, but that you could study as much as you want. Highlight important words with different colors, write down on sticky notes words and test yourself. Make yourself a test. Draw down history or biology to help you understand it more!
NanaAthene
Just do whatever helps you distract yourself from the negativity. Like for me, I listen to calm music and I write poetry or even play with my cats and that's what helps me calm down and distracts me from everything going on at school. If you don't have coping skills already, just look some up or do something that's healthy like exercising or hanging out with positive people.
vrayza
when i feel anxiety and stress from school, first time i think that my future, i going to school is for my future, not for someone else future, and i must be very grateful that i can go to school, many people want to go to school but they can't, and last think about your parent, make them proud to have you as their child, school is the best way for secure your future :D
CHardbroom
If you're stressed with school, you need to have time out time, time to reflect on other things apart from school.
Bobcott
December 22nd, 2015 3:57am
Hmm, for me, I had anxiety regarding my health while at school. I overcame this by focusing on my work, engaging in the class activities, and participating in after school clubs like breakdance and parkour :)
ListenerDakota
Try talking to your school counsellor about lowering your class loads, or maybe spacing them out better. I personally studied two maths classes and physics, and on Tuesday I had all three. Usually they're willing to work things out with you to help you get by easier. Eventually, I had to drop physics, but that's ok. Always take breaks, and talk to your teacher in advance if you think you'll have issues, and keep them updated on how you are. If you're met with that poorly, contact someone higher up. There are always compassionate people. Yes, even in schools.
daintydragonflies
Plan out your time but make sure you give time to relax too. It can't all be work, you need a balance.
Melody293
Self-care is extra important when you're feeling down due to school. Make sure you schedule time for yourself! Exercising or meditating is beneficial to many people, and helps them destress, but we all have different things that help us the most :)
ashade77
Every person deals with stress and anxiety differently. Exercise tends to help as an outlet to release tension and clear your mind. For me being as organized as possible helps. Prioritizing what needs to be done now, what can be done later, and whats most important are useful tools. Learning to interact and understand your classmates also helps.
Anonymous
Relaxation, mindfulness exercises and calming activities, such as reading a good book, spending a night every week off for a break with friends.
lifeisBeautiful05
Firstly start sharing your thoughts with someone in the family you trust and are comfortable being with. Remember everyone goes through that phase and you will learn a lot from there. And anxiety and stress are part of our lives and we can beat them
Learn how to better time your activities. Plan your day. Break big assignment into manageable parts. Plan ahead.
Anonymous
You need to realise what exactly in school gives you anxiety and stress, once you're able to do that you need to work upon dealing with those things.
shiningDay80
The way I deal with anxiety and stress and school is to take a break. I will work on assignments for a couple of hours and then do something recreationally, like watching tv. I also like to encourage myself and remind myself that it will all pay off in the end when I receive that degree. It is all for a purpose.