How do I know if I did the right thing?

How do I know if I did the right thing?

Tricia Saviano, MA, ATR, LCPC

Art Therapist

Life can be tough. Finding creative ways to get through issues and live a happy life is important. As an art therapist and licensed counselor, I can help you reach your goals.

aflameaflower
I think that if you listen to your gut feeling, you will know. Our bodies and subcouncious minds are good at talking too us through sensations in the body, we can feel shame in the stomach when we have done something bad or a warm feeling in our chests when we like someone. I think you need to be mindful about the way your body speaks to you to know what's right.
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2017 7:05am
The tricky truth is that sometimes you won't know! The concept of 'right' differs very much from person to person and what might be right for one person might be wrong for another. So, the first thing to consider is whether or not you did the right thing for you. Did you look after yourself? Did doing this thing cause any harm to others? Or harm to the world? If you have done something that helped you to look after you and did not harm others, then that might be about as close as you might get to feeling you did the 'right' thing. And even then, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we feel we've done the right thing, but it turns out not to have the outcome that we wanted. That's ok. It's how we learn.
Anonymous
Knowing what the right thing to do is hard, and everybody will have a different opinion on what the right thing is. I would say if you feel like you have done the right thing, then you probably have. Don't let other people's opinions and beliefs get in the way of how you feel. We all need to trust our own moral compass and things will work themselves out in the end
Anonymous
The "right" thing is ever changing and a difficult thing to pin down. Sometimes it can be simple and you know exactly what the right thing is. Other times it's not so simple and you might need to choose between options where people might be affected either way. Weighing up all the pros and cons and making the best decision you can is sometimes all you can do and the closest to making the "right" decision.
Anonymous
The gut always knows right from wrong. The mind will play tricks on you and the heart wants what is best but is blind a lot of times. Trust your gut instinct
Anonymous
Your gut and conscience - it also depends on your personal beliefs and morals. Doing the right thing may not feel good right now, but as time passes, it will become clearer and clearer if what you did was right or not.
Anonymous
Discerning right from wrong can be challenging when every decision has its good and bad outcomes. If you feel as though an issue is unresolved and it is growing in the back of your mind, it doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong decision, but it is something that is better clarified sooner than later.
Anonymous
If that has added a little peace or satisfaction. Even if externally the results are not visible instantly, but if you done it with right intentions and also for some better purpose, it won't go in vain. You may get results expected or unexpected, but you will not regret choosing courageously and holding clarity ever. Do have some vision behind it and some prediction about it. Cheers!
ZoodleDoodle
An interesting question because the answer can really change depending on the situation. I suppose most of the time you have to consult your own beliefs, morals, and opinions, and see if they match up to your actions. What I do is ask myself what I would think if my friend told me something they had done. What would I say if I wasn't invested in this situation?
Anonymous
Sometime you never do! And sometimes you'll feel you did the wrong thin even when it was the right thing. Just know that decision is in the past now xxx
Anonymous
You know it, based on the peace you have in your heart, knowing the fact you didn't harm somebody by hour action.. or maybe you just did the right for yourself that was hard to reach.
presocratics
Your question is so general that it can only be answered generally. You know you did the right thing when the outcome is what you expected. Here are 3 areas to focus on: (1) did you meet your objective? (2) did you improve your relationship to the other people involved? (3) did you maintain self-respect?
HelpWisely
Simple, be aware of how you feel. If you feel happy, content, pleased then it is the indication for you that you did the right thing.
Anonymous
When you are happy and feel contented, you did the right thing. Don't doubt yourself about what you can do.
SilentSerenityy
If you felt it was right in your heart and you followed your instincts when doing it. It may be right for you but not for someone else, but that's how life goes sometimes.
TheSagittarius
You can't. Only time will tell if it was the right thing to do or not. Be patient and have faith. Good luck!
KitesandHappiness
I always say listen to your gut. The fact that you tried to do the right things is admirable in itself, always do what feels right for you.
GenderRolesTM
From my experiences, Ive found that if it feels right in your heart, and you cant see yourself having done it any different with a better outcome, then you've done the right thing.
SweetNori
It's hard to make the right decision every time. It's hard to even know what the right decision is. Two different people will have two different answers. I think we just have to make the best decision we can at the time with the tools and knowledge that we have.
Anonymous
When a person you are chatting with says that it helped them. One person even wanted to chat with me again!v
NyanEar
It takes time, very often. Think about who you did the right thing for. Someone else? Yourself? It's very much possible that you have done the right thing and the bad thing at the same time, just for different people. The best choice keeps you happy. We're humans, we're self-centered- whether we like it or not.
fancyButterfly
Follow your heart. Try flipping a coin to see which outcome it lands on. This cann help show you where you heart really lies if you are hoping that the coin will land in a certain way.
Anonymous
Nice question :) I would suggest you to ask your inner self. We humans can fool the world but not ourselves. The answer lies within. Deep inside you know if you're going right or wrong. Sometimes it's really good to retrospect just to make sure we're moving in the right direction. The more time you spend with yourself, more certain you will be about the things you do in life and the decisions that you make. Also, if you can look in the mirror and make an eye contact with your reflection and tell what you did and why you did it without altering facts and not feeling bad about it then you're going right :)
Swish2Swish
Sometimes doing the right thing hurts a little. The most important thing is your intention. I think that if you meditate on the issue, think critically, and get your own mind and mood in a good space, then you will make decisions with a good intention that make sense to the best of your ability. Remember your ultimate goals and values. Your values can come from your faith, culture, or experiences. Put your biggest values first and give yourself space to think about it.
Anonymous
Stuff can be hard to tell if you did the right thing. Let’s say you were worried about a friend that you think self harms, and you told the school counselor. You did the best thing for them. They might not see it like that yet, but you just have to give it time. You stopped the issue before it got out of hand, before something worst could of happened. You helped them get their life back on track, you are their life savor.
Anonymous
There is nothing right or wrong but thinking makes it so. You have done the right thing if you're happy with the results. Sometimes things takes time but the important thing is what you learned from your decision πŸ™‚
draggon47
It's always a struggle to know if we did the right thing. No matter in which area of our lives, sometimes we doubt our choices. The best way to know if you did the right thing is to ask yourself if you agree with your choice. Ask yourself how would you feel if you didn't do it? To know if we did the right thing we must find the answer within us. Sometimes it is hard, since it doesn't affect us as individuals only. But, think about how it makes you feel. If you are okay with what you did, and deep inside feel like it's right, then you have your answer.
Anonymous
Doing the right thing will result in a positive feeling. A feeling of hope, uplifting joy, correctness, and will feel morally good. Doing the right thing can be something that you do with integrity and mindfulness to show dignity to yourself and others. Should be something that does not place shame or blame on yourself or others in life. Think to yourself about how whatever action(s) makes you feel internally. Do you feel happy with your actions or do you feel concerned? What state of emotion are you having during the choices you made in doing whatever you are referencing at this moment.
Anonymous
Hi, I do not know the situation nor what this "right thing" is. What I can say is belief in the self will not lead you astray. So, if you took an action because it felt like it was in your highest and greatest good, then it was the "right" thing as whatever the outcome or consequences you are prepared to either proudly stand by or defend. And when we honor ourselves, our thoughts and feelings, there is no right or wrong, good or bad, there is only faith and trust and those are always the best choices to make. We don't know what the future portends so something in the moment may feel wrong, post choice, then later we commend ourselves for the same choice seeing that it was aligned with our destiny, so keep trusting yourself. And do not take action or say things until you feel sure within yourself, as it is important to believe in your choices.
Sunisshiningandsoareyou
I think alot of us are on constant battle with our mind and heart, questioning ourselves repeatedly if we're doing the right thing . It's understandable to worry about doing the right thing, but it's also important to remind ourselves that , there's no absolute truth to what's right or wrong..what may be considered right by one, may not be by the other person, we all make decisions based on our available ,acquired and inherent knowledge and experiences. And there's some comfort in knowing that, if at some point you did something, which felt right at the time, maybe that was the first option that came to you or maybe after weighing all pros and cons, that was something you chose to go forward with...in all honesty, there was a time you thought you were doing the right thing, else you wouldn't Have continued doing that, so maybe just reminding ourselves that, we can try to do what we feel is right and then stick by it , that's in our control...what is not in our hands, is to judge accurately if what we're doing will be right for all...and then again, nobody is perfect and we learn and grow while making mistakes ...so you do you, always , rest will fall in place πŸ’›