How do I know if I did the right thing?

How do I know if I did the right thing?

Andrea Tuck, LCPC

I tackle and discuss a multitude of social and emotional health issues. I have a belief that through empowerment and non-judgmental support clients' can thrive.

VirtualVirgo
The 'right thing' isn't always clear. It can depend on your own internal values and beliefs (personal morals), or it can depend on the values and beliefs of society (ethics). Sometimes, they're the same, but sometimes, they conflict. If you've done the right thing according to your own personal values and beliefs, you may feel satisfied. However, if your own values and beliefs conflict (or you believe conflict) with that of society, you may feel uneasy, unsure, or hesitant. As an example, perhaps society expects you to work hard at a certain age, but due to personal health reasons, maybe that isn't something that you can do. Your health isn't worth sacrificing for society's approval, so this is where your personal values and that of society's conflict. In the end, we all have to do what's right for ourselves.
Anonymous
Hi, I do not know the situation nor what this "right thing" is. What I can say is belief in the self will not lead you astray. So, if you took an action because it felt like it was in your highest and greatest good, then it was the "right" thing as whatever the outcome or consequences you are prepared to either proudly stand by or defend. And when we honor ourselves, our thoughts and feelings, there is no right or wrong, good or bad, there is only faith and trust and those are always the best choices to make. We don't know what the future portends so something in the moment may feel wrong, post choice, then later we commend ourselves for the same choice seeing that it was aligned with our destiny, so keep trusting yourself. And do not take action or say things until you feel sure within yourself, as it is important to believe in your choices.
Sunisshiningandsoareyou
I think alot of us are on constant battle with our mind and heart, questioning ourselves repeatedly if we're doing the right thing . It's understandable to worry about doing the right thing, but it's also important to remind ourselves that , there's no absolute truth to what's right or wrong..what may be considered right by one, may not be by the other person, we all make decisions based on our available ,acquired and inherent knowledge and experiences. And there's some comfort in knowing that, if at some point you did something, which felt right at the time, maybe that was the first option that came to you or maybe after weighing all pros and cons, that was something you chose to go forward with...in all honesty, there was a time you thought you were doing the right thing, else you wouldn't Have continued doing that, so maybe just reminding ourselves that, we can try to do what we feel is right and then stick by it , that's in our control...what is not in our hands, is to judge accurately if what we're doing will be right for all...and then again, nobody is perfect and we learn and grow while making mistakes ...so you do you, always , rest will fall in place 💛
Anonymous
You know you did the right thing if the decision you made ended up benefiting the most people, and was morally okay. If you are in question, you can always ask an adult or peer, or talk to a listener.
Anonymous
Because when you go to bed , you will feel satisfied, calm and happy with your decision so you will know that you are doing right.
Anonymous
If the other person continues the conversation with u, and tells u how the feel without hesitation.
Anonymous
No one knows, only you do. People might say things but its up to you to decide especially if it involves you,
rachtale
It would feel right inside, and you wouldn't feel guilty or stressed. If you still do, then you should talk to those people.
Anonymous
Sometimes it's important to listen to your gut. If something doesn't feel right, it might be a sign that you need to step back and evaluate why it doesn't feel like the right thing.
ItsAlyssa
Well if you feel like tou did the rigth thing you probably would be thinking about it because you know you did the right thing and try to move on to the next
blitzEmpathy
there's this inner voice that we all hear telling us what is right. If you feel totally at peace within you after taking that decision (assuming you don't have a dead conscience) then you did the right thing. If it isn't a decision that will harm another human being or yourself in anyway, then you did the right thing. Listen to the still small voice in you. Peace :)
Anonymous
We dont always know that we have done the right thing, but if no one was hurt or you yourself wasnt hurt then that should be good enough.
NumberEleven
I don't think you ever know if you did the right thing. It's more of what you feel and think is the right thing.
Supergirl94
If you don't feel bad about it, when you don't regret it or feel guilty about it. When you feel content, calm about it and feel comfortable with it. When you feel happy in a manner of speaking about what you did.
Anonymous
It is more easy 5o say if you did wrong thing. I think your heart will have no regrets and you will not be coming back to the action again and again
BronaghC
The "right thing" in your head will never always be the same as the "right thing" in others heads. So it may not always work out. But the right thing is always what you feel is good, ask yourself "am I happy?", "do I have regrets?" etc. The answers to those questions should answer your own.
scotty4947
Was the outcome what you expected and/or wanted? If yes, then you may have done the right thing. Is the outcome hurting someone or making them feel extremely upset? If it is, then you may want to try a new approach to see a different outcome.
Anonymous
If it helps anyone, or myself, that means that I have done the right thing and there's nothing to regret.
Psychiatrist101
How do I know if I did the right thing, is when I ask, asking is the perfect solution to know if you do something right.
Anonymous
If you can sleep well that night. There's no trouble sleeping at all. Regret usually visits those who did something wrong.
Anonymous
You just have to trust yourself and see whether it turns out okay or not, things can go many ways
Gordon123
The only way to know if you did the right thing is to follow your instinct. There is no other way to know.
BintNajem
The mind and heart will be at rest and one will not feel uneasy or guilty about it. Moreover there will be a feeling of inner peace
Anonymous
By feeling good yourself inside of something you did and seeing people acknowledging and thanking you for your actions.
Anonymous
If I personally feel it was the right thing to do, and if the person is happy with the positive outcome, for both parties, I feel confident it was the right thing.
TheTripleS719
If you had done the wrong thing, guilt would be eating away at you right now. Give it time; you'll see if the results are good or bad soon enough.
Godlovesus
every decision has a positive and negative effect. And you already took the decision, so there is no use crying over spilled milk.
Anonymous
There's no way to truly know. If you are happy and you can look in the mirror and not feel guilty, then you made a decision that is best for you.
2cupsofteaa
If you feel better about it. For the most times, your gut feelings will tell if you did the right thing or not.
SunflowerHelp8
October 2nd, 2016 3:12am
You'll know, based on what your heart and conscious is telling you. If its right, it will feel like the best choice of your life