How do I know if I did the right thing?

How do I know if I did the right thing?

Tricia Saviano, MA, ATR, LCPC

Art Therapist

Life can be tough. Finding creative ways to get through issues and live a happy life is important. As an art therapist and licensed counselor, I can help you reach your goals.

Anonymous
Taking decision is really a tough thing...so if u want to know what u did is right just judge urself after making that decision if u feel good...it comes from inside that whether u did was right or wrong...
Anonymous
the line between right and wrong is rather blurry. you are supposed to set lines of ethics for yourself- your own morals. so whatever you do- you should be ready to explain.
Anonymous
Just ask yourself if someone else had done it to you, how would you feel? Would you think it was reasonable?
Viktoria28
There are two type. 1.If we did right thing for someone else. In this modern, fast world to help for each others became important thing. To make easier someone life is a very thankful job. When we can see them satisfied and happy, definitely we made right thing. 2. For ourself: when we do something what doesn't limit some else's life, and we are happy.we can feel ourself in calm, nothing disturbs in normal life
Anonymous
"I've Never Been Very Sure About What is Right, said Bill Door. I am not Sure There is Such a Thing a Right. Or Wrong. Just Places to Stand." - (Terry Pratchett, "Reaper Man") This question hints at self-doubt, anxiety, and unresolved tension. Believe in yourself. You are the expert on you. You know how you feel about this situation, and you know how you feel about how you handled this situation, and it's okay to feel things. We always have options. Examine your feelings when you think about what happened. Think of ways you could have handled the situation worse and better. If other people were involved, try to think of it from their position. I If you feel ultimately you did the right thing, believe in yourself, Try to examine why this issue is still on your mind - if there is something left unsaid for example. Society likes to write rules and one of them is that we only hae one chance: but that's not true. In fact, you can revisit this situaiton and still affect how you feel about it, for example by talking to other people who are involved after the fact. You can say something like, "I'm worried I didn't do the right thing when I _____. Can we talk about it?"
alexluke
Sometimes you might never know, but if it is for the better of someones well being, even if they get mad and you, then it is the right thing
WhimsicalPumpkin27
You know you've done the right things when you feel good with what ever happens and you feel as if you helped someone or something happen
SereneBlueberry
"Go with your gut" Well I did, and here are the after effects OR Well I didn't, I took the logical route and here I am. Often times we overanalyse things to the point that we wish we'd never done them. Maybe you are not at the regret stage yet, maybe you are at the "I could have been..." stage. Thinking up all kinds of different scenarios that could have played out had you not dated Suzy Q. or had you not gone to that tattoo parlor or had you not gone to Disney World with your niece. Whether it be a huge decision you had to make, or a minor choice, the past is the past, and we can't change it. What we can do, is mold the future.
Anonymous
Sometimes it's not as simple as right and wrong, there's a huge grey area in between. If you feel comfortable with the decision you made and you feel it was the best one to take then you can do no more.
Manifestation
It will resonate in the body, heart and mind - and time will tell the rest of the tale. Pay attention to what are the fruits, or results of the action. Learn from them.
ApplePudding
We are always acting our best way we can based on what knowledge we possess at that certain moment. We might evolve after time and realise we could have done better, but in the past we did not have this knowledge, which means we did what we could best at that moment.
Anonymous
You don't. But you learn from your mistakes, and you learn to love the mistakes you've made before, because you wouldn't be you without them
Indiekiddo
You are who judges yourself and your actions, and you know yourself better than anyone, so in the end it all comes down to your personal judgement! And remember, doing the right thing isn't always the best choice, and no matter what your decision is, do not regret it, no good comes out from dwelling on the past, but instead, learn from your experiences so that you do not repeat your mistakes in the future!
Anonymous
If you feel good about the decision that you made and you feel that deep down it was the right thing to do then it was the right thing to do. Sometimes the right thing isn't always the easiest decision to make, However trust your gut feeling on this way, If it felt like the right thing to do then it probably was.
BronaghJD
The right thing is defined completely, different from every person on this earth in some way or another. Hurting somebody, for example, could be brilliant for one person and completely disgusting for the other. So ask yourself some questions: Would others do it? Does it feel right? Am I breaking laws? Am I breaking my morals? Did I make the other person sad or feel any negative emotion? Would you hesitate to tell someone what you did? Will you proudly announce your doings? etc. I wish you the best xx
Hikushi
You'll know if you did the right thing if your decision aligns with your values or goals. Know your values.
Anonymous
You can not. We all make our decisions the best that we can but nobody can see if they are the best, as we can not see the future. Try to acept that you took that decision for a reason that seemed the best in that moment and not overthink about what would had happened if you took another
vibrantesprit
Sometimes you get this feeling of success in your stomach and sometimes you know months down the road something clicks and reminds you of the decision you made months before. In a lot of situations there isn't a for sure way to tell, but honestly, just follow your intuition because he's right most of the time. The universe works in magical ways, just follow your heart, and let happiness lead the way! xoxo
magicallySoul77
We do certain actions and want to know if i have done right or not. As per my understanding if it passes below check then i have taken the right action: If the intention of the action is love Does the action made me peaceful If none of the above condition is passed i guess its not a right action. Right action includes love, compassion and intelligence.
strongforce
Sometimes the lines are blurred and that's okay. If you feel like it helped you and others more than it hurt them, it's generally the right thing, but of course it really depends on the circumstances. The fact that you're questioning it shows you probably have good intentions.
AnimalLover90
It's hard to say as the right thing for me may be completely different than the right thing for you. Sometimes it's easy to identify and you know it immediately. Other times, it's harder to identify and all you can really go on is intuition. Forget others opinions for a moment. How do you feel after the decision you made? If you feel good, then it was the right thing (even if others disagree). If you feel guilt however, then it's the wrong thing (even if it was what others were encouraging you to do). But, honestly, this is a question that you need to answer yourself.
bubblegumTree13
There is no such thing as the right thing. There is only your best thing at that point in time. It is important to accept that our best thing may not be good enough and that it may lead to harm to other people. However so long as we value people, our best efforts will lead in the main to the 'best things' in other people's lives. Perhaps then we have done the right thing.
Rakune
This is going to sound terribly cheesy, but you'll feel the impact of you action in the future. That will help you know if it was right or wrong. For example, I used to overwork myself. I thought it was right, until I got to the point where I was sick all the time and felt bad when I made even just one tiny mistake because I was so used to doing things right.
Anonymous
April 2nd, 2017 3:31am
even if you may face repercussions, somewhere in your heart you may feel a tingle or a sense of warmth that in some way, may it be great or small, you benefited someone else.
Anonymous
Even if it doesn't work out where everyone is happy, even if you are not happy at the moment, the right thing is knowing what is best in the long run. If you see it as what is right, it probably is. Just think carefully!
peacefulkat
By asking yourself exactly what you did, thinking of the outcomes of the situation and thinking of how either you or others reacted to the thing that you did. Think of how it will impact your life in the near future.
darkleaf96
The thing about doing the right thing is how we feel after we do it, On the inside you will always feel a certain way about certain actions, and that's how you will know if you did the right thing, that feeling you get on the inside will let you know.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2017 4:07am
I would suggest, you make your choices built from your heart and your experience. If you have been able to put fear aside in choosing what you did, and think it through, it will prove to have been a good healthy choice for you.
Anonymous
When you feel accomplished and happy, you have done the right thing. That is because you understand, as a person that only you know what is right or wrong in your life. Don't let others tell you it is the wrong thing.
Anonymous
Whatever you start has to come from the heart. The "right thing", comes from a place of wisdom. And wisdom is derived from experience. I'll give you a clear example: At one stage of my life, I loved so much fitness that I thought I would become a personal trainer. I was well off to an excellent start. My grades were excellent. But when I started 1 on 1 training, I felt a disconnect. I preferred the science of training rather than being a trainer. The right path, can be a hobby or passion. But is preferably tested in the real world first. The same goes on with someone wanting to be a public speaker, but realizing he is stressed speaking in public; or a trainer unwilling to train people. Both have the will, but they are going against themselves. Choose a path that looks like you. I would love to help you more specifically, if you need further assistance