How do I learn to quit fearing the unknown?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Laura94
Sometimes you just have to dive in to the deep end without knowing what's going to happen in life..
wonderfulIcicle35
The unknown can be frightening or can be seen as a new challenge/opportunity, something to look forward to, to stretch yourself and to be seen as a window. A new start a way to improve and become the best version of yourself you can.
Anonymous
Fearing the unknown isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's like we're preparing ourselves for whatever bad thing that lies ahead, but it's also important to view the unknown from a different perspective.
Polyethanase
The easy answer would be to just say "The first step is accepting when it's there," but I know it's not always that easy. It's very difficult for people to adjust to new houses, let alone new social/romantic/ect. changes. The best way for you may be to try pushing your boundaries, but never too much than what you believe you can handle. Making a good friend can help with this.
Anonymous
Well goodness if that isn't a hard thing to do. I don't know that I've managed to do that yet. But I guess the key is to accept it. Life is basically one giant ball of unknown, and that can be a pretty scary thought. The thing is though, that it's okay to be scared. You just can't let your fear stop you from taking that plunge.
BrightDarkness
I quit fearing the unknown by changing my perspective of it. I look at it as a new experience, a new challenge.
Anonymous
by focusing on the present and by not thinking negatively about the future may help. thinking about something which we do not know is a waste of time.
Alcazand
By throwing yourself in it with fear in your heart. Hold that fear in your hand and own the mojo out of it, its your inosent inexperiance, treasure it.. and remember to wonder at all that's to be found
gentlePeace95
All you need to do is put courage in your self and belief, dont be scared to approach someone, show your the bigger person.
Anonymous
I think you just have to realize that everything happens for a reason, and eventually everything will work out the way its suppose to
ImaginaryWorld
Actually, it can be really easy, first, you should learn what that unknown is. Once you study and understand , it wont be so scary anymore.
letmelisten98
It's best to teach yourself to live in the now. As cliche as that may seem, having anxiety myself can really drive me up the wall, but keeping yourself occupied will really help.
Anonymous
By understanding that the unknown will be unknown regardless. Life is so much easier when you stop worrying so much about what's out your control. Honestly, try it!
Ashiya
Come in touch with things you don't know bit by bit. Or do research, think on it and be amazed. Try not to be afraid of the uknown.
ChloeRowling
I believe in exposure therapy, which is a technique used in behavioral therapy. If we are exposed to what we are afraid, in a safe setting in which outcomes can be controlled, we have the opportunity to develop ways of coping with what trigger our fears. By facing it, we learn that there are methods to reduce the anxiety it causes, and eventually overcoming the fear all together. It may be difficult in the beginning, however as we attempt multiple times, we not only gain confidence but begin to believe in our own willpower.
Anonymous
Facing the unknown with a bit a of courage can be of immense help. Facing the unknown helps one combat the fear factor.
HoneyStarling
Draw strength from all the times you have gone into the unknown and survived; educate yourself so you know a little more about the unknown thing; talk to people about your fears and hear how they have overcome theirs and develop strategies to help support you - but ultimately dig deep and dive in with courage, knowing you've conquered 'unknown' before, you're not the only one, you're prepared and you have ways to support yourself if the 'unknown' turns out to be tougher than you thought.
Anonymous
When you can stop living in anticipation of the future & honor the here and now, this present moment is all there ever is, or is it not?
klarathealien
You have to find courage. You can ask someone you trust to do this new thing with you or at least stand by your side.
Anonymous
It is normal to fear the unknown, be it a new school, a new job or a different environment. The thing is, you'll get used to the new situation, so over thinking won't get you anywhere. Doing something you really like, or going to a familiar place could also help. Change is good, and fear of unknown is normal.
whatreallymatters
I have always felt a little anxious about my life and the future. The important thing to remember is that each of us has an inner strength that will allow us to overcome anything that we will ourselves to. Keep this in mind always, and approach everything you do with a positive mindset. Then, the fear will go away by itself.
dayvidenda
Remember that you're constantly living the unknown! You never know what's going to happen in the next hour, minute, millisecond. Embrace the fear - allow it to become excitement to explore! Who knows? You might find interest in it, or find a good outcome.