How to forget my one-sided love?

How to forget my one-sided love?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Beanbbg
December 23rd, 2017 12:24am
Maybe try looking for someone who makes you feel more special, or maybe even try waiting a while.
magicalFreedom42
One should not forget a one-sided love/relationship, but learn from it. What did it teach you? What do you want differently in the future? How can you achieve that? Instead of dreading it and trying to bury the memories, try shaping that pain into lessons that can be learned and positivity.
Anonymous
What worked for me in the past was finding something to do that I enjoy that keeps me busy. Having nothing to do can exacerbate problems, there are more pressing things to deal with in life than wasting time and effort on people that can not love you back. I'd say the one thing that helped me the most in the past was my dog. He saved my life and got me through some bad times.
Anonymous
You can always count on your friends and family for support but, honestly, the best thing to do is just let time heal the broken heart. Sounds cliché, but it works.
HanaGB
Spend time reflecting on yourself, your life, and your self worth. Focus on the bigger picture and work on realizing that although there are many things in life that do not go our way, there are still many things that can go right - and finding someone who will love you back is one of them.
medlgbtoutandproud
Go out and meet more people. Spend time with others and get to know more new people helps with getting over one sided love. Don't be afraid to talk about it with your close friends before that. After letting all your feeling out, take some time to recover then continue meeting new friends and new people. Indulge in activities that you enjoy and love.
DarkFang74
It might sound cliche but don’t we all want something from our life and we take our own decisions so when someone else takes a decision for his/her life, arent we suppose to respect that. If you love someone, you want them to be happy and that feeling is fulfilling. Of course it pains to be not with someone as you want to but friendship is important and you need not to forget love, love is not always being together in a romantic relationship. Love is the bond much more stronger than that. If you have not yet confessed about your feeling, be honest and confess it by clearly stating that this will not affect their friendship and no matter what the result is, you will share the friendship as it is. Speaking out something will clear your cloudy thoughts, assumption and apprehension's.
Anonymous
You just have to give yourself time to grieve about it. Yell, scream, cry, do whatever makes you feel better. Then, do what you love (for example reading, exercising) and that can make you forget your one-sided love. But, don't rush anything, take time because time heals.
DreamWeaver80
It’s difficult to get past an unrequited love but it is possible. I once had an unrequited love for someone who was emotionally unavailable and it hurt immensely. What hurt worse is that he was nice about it when he told me he didn’t feel the same way. He tried to be my friend but that didn’t help me get over him so I had to distance myself from him and work through my hurt with time and effort. I didn’t not deal with my feelings. When they came up I didn’t push them down but rather allowed myself to experience them and ancknowledge they were present in my life. I made time to be with friends, pursues hobbies, went on random road trips to experience something new, and filled my life with quality pursuits. As the months went by the hurt became less and less. I never denied myself the feelings or pushed them down. That’s what helped me through the most. One day I realized it didn’t hurt anymore and I no longer felt anything for the guy.
PatTay
Don't forget. Instead, love unconditionally. If you truly love someone, then you understand them, you accept them, you celebrate their freedom to be who they are even if that means unreciprocated love. Love is abstract and the feeling does not require you to burn yourself out looking for that validation. Be kind, be understanding, and love without conditions. Learn this, and you will never have to forget your one-sided love, rather you will expand your capacity to love.
juniper20
I actually went through something similar to a one sided love. Having feelings for someone who doesn't reciprocate them can be difficult and make you feel as if you are unwanted. My advice is to take a break from crushes and relationships. Wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are worthy, that you are amazing and you don't need this person to feel worth it.
Junkberry
Love is a complicated thing. It is amazing but also can be the worst thing you have experienced. You might not forget it at all, but learning how to tackle the problems you experience with it is much more important.
Anonymous
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to truly forget your unrequited love; however, you can try to learn and move on from it. For starters, it will take time. Lots. You can also try to focus on improving yourself and making yourself a better person whether it be by studying, exercising, starting a new hobby etc. This can be a form of distraction. Seek comfort in your friends and family. Talk to people. If it seems like you can't move on, consider a therapist or a professional. I know this is very painful, and I wish the best to you.
SacredArtist
KNOW that you are good enough, worthy, deserving, and loved. Love yourself, know what the situation is telling you, and begin there. After a while, maybe you won't forget them, but the quality of the memory of them will change. And you WILL be able to move on. Look forward to the rest of your life and how what is in store for you, you can't even guess at. Therefore, who you're "meant" to be with is yet to come. Even if you have to give it a few tries. But do it all with love. Love yourself. Let things go. Hold things lightly. Focus on what you find beautiful and one day you'll notice someone whose looking at the same thing.
Anonymous
Forgetting an unrequitted love can be hard! The truth is, the answer to your question can depend on so many different factors. Time will heal a lot of wounds, and it's best to just focus on yourself and on what makes you happy! Surround yourself with good people, and put yourself first.
kindPanda75
By moving on and finding a person that will love you as much as you love them, it is always a two way thing
Sunlights
I understand going thru a heartbreak like this is though, but you always have to remember: he/she doesn’t deserve you if they don’t love you back, give your love to the people who do love you and care for you.
Anonymous
Throw yourself into what you love. Go out and spend time with friends and remember to find happiness in other places. Pick up new hobbies and try new foods and always find a way to laugh.
wonderfulWaterfall19
Try concentrating on something else, clean your mind. Going to the beach is always a good way to clean your mind. We trust and support you here in 7 cups.
Rozeedream
By simply forgetting. Again I'll say don't think too much. Divert your mind to positive things that keeps you happy.
Anonymous
Everything takes time to process and forget. Do hobbies or activities to keep your mind off of them. Also, think of only the bad qualities than the good qualities.
wonderingsoul212
You can see what work best for you like find a new hobby, catching up with friends, find a new book to read, explore yourself more like get to know yourself better, watch new series or movies alone or wih friends, listen to new band. It's a way to tell you that you need to love yourself first. Good luck!
Anonymous
to be able to move on from one sided love is to be able to distance yourself from any situations you feel yourself catching more feelings, distancing uourself from the person you love is the best way to move on
Praticalsupport
Stop triggering yourself with thoughts of them. Allow yourself time to move on. Find other positive things to focus on such as exercise, coffee with friends, helping others etc.
Anonymous
Love is never easy, especially love that is not reciprocated. In this case it's important to let yourself heal, and possibly even make space between you and the person you love so that you can focus on yourself. Things like pampering yourself, finding new interests and pursuing new things on your own can make you feel complete on your own and rid you of the feeling of needing someone. It may also be helpful to remind yourself that you are WORTHY of love and there are plenty of people out there who are willing to return that love. You just have to pick yourself up eventually, and go on with life by having your best interests in mind. :)
Mountainmystic777
September 2nd, 2018 9:05am
To forget one-sided love, one must start loving oneself with the same intensity they loved the other person. Try spending time with yourself doing things you like, pamper and spoil yourself. Try taking yourself out for dates to your favourite places. Discover your hobbies or new interests. A one sided love is at times hard to forget, so try spending time worth friends and family who genuinely love, appreciate and cherish you for who you are. Don't stop believing in yourself because you all are amazing and awesome people! Also, don't skip on meals, rather, give yourself a treat :)
vanillawest88
Relationships are not easy at all. They are full of ups and downs, problems, emotions, etc. A relationship should always be two-sided including love. I think the best way to get over a one-sided love is to learn to love yourself first. If you are giving someone all of you, and they are not doing the same in return, its not fair. We have to bar for ourselves, and learn what we need. If we find a partner who cannot reach those bars, or does not want to, then we have to move on. We know we deserve so much better.
Joseph016
Focus on doing your passion and what you love doing. It's hard in the beginning, but understand that you gave every effort you could have done. This is the most important thing to remember. Find someone to talk to, it can help a lot. Know that somethings aren't meant to work out, not because you did something wrong, simply because people are blinded by their own individual pain to see. Nowadays, you can be everything someone ever wanted but still be rejected. This is sadly life, and though it might be unfair, you still have to be yourself. There's a quotes by someone and it goes like this, 'some people lose diamonds searching for stones' If you have tried and put effort, never feel as if you failed, as its the best you can do. If someone can't see your greatness, shine brighter, as they have mitigated the opportunity to see that.
magnanimousWinter46
To forget my one-sided love i needed to forgive the person for maybe not knowing how to love or not being able to love. I would never say my “one-sided love” in order to love and feel loved the other person has to be capable of being loved and feeling loved. Love is never a one sided thing. I don’t believe you can love someone fully if they don’t love you. You can only do what someone allows you to do. If I don’t want to be loved then I won’t accept your love, if I don’t understand love then I’m gunna push you away. To fully be loved you have to love. I apologize if that was all over the place!
iSina
Love is an important but common issue in life. So, it is completely understandable that you have faced a problem to deal with this issue. It may have difficulty to overcome love related problem but fortunately nearly everyone can handle it. I've had problem too. I agree that some of love problems takes time and energy to overcome, but I found kindness and passion in you that definitely helps you to find a new and more similar person to fall in love. With your social capabilities, you'll have a lot of persons to deal with in your daily life and this helps you to forget the recent issue.