I feel extremely sick whenever I leave my house, what can I do?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

SquishyRaspberries
If you feel ill when leaving your house, you likely have a psychological condition that would be helped by a medical professional. There are several different therapies to treat agoraphobia and similar conditions and they have been very effective.
Anonymous
If you feel extremely sick whenever you leave your house, it sounds like you have social anxiety. You can try exercises to help with that and take it slow.
Anonymous
Talk to your doctor about it. If anything they can help you figure out why you are feeling like that.
Anonymous
If you feel that all the time, then you should go get it checked out at the doctors. Don't prolong it because you never know what could happen to you. Better to be safe than sorry
Anonymous
Try to fond out the cause of anxiety that you feel now.. It would be helpful to talk to a therapist and come to a suitable reason and therapy for overcoming this..
cherry09
You can ask a friend or family member to leave the house with you so you feel protected. It may be a sign or anxiety if you feel sick whenever you leave your house
Anonymous
If you are feeling sick, I usually will take medicine. You have to take little steps, until you can leave your house and not turn back. Take little steps, for example going on your front porch one day. Then the next, going into your yard, etc.
IntuitiveDrops
Do you connect being outside of your house with being less safe? If so, is there anything that can make you feel safer about going out?
brightJoy72
Unless you are truly physically sick it's probably conditioned response or anxiety and me personally I have dealt with debilitating agoraphobia and I won but it took a little time. I personally grounded myself and I got professional help.
RobRH
There are multiple steps that can be found through the anxiety guide on 7 cups- I would recommend reading through to learn techniques to overcome these feelings
Anonymous
When I feel nervous leaving my house I like to take a friend with me so I feel safer. My friend is there to help me while I am out and if something happens
snowyylola
Whenever I have to leave the house and feel anxious and sick about it I try to listen to music to keep me occupied as well as blocking out the noises around me and just focusing on where I am headed and what I am listening to. The songs can be personal, something you find comfort in listening to etc. Another thing that I sometimes do is call someone that knows about my anxiety and talk to them during the walk (if it is a walk) to create the illusion that I am not alone. A cup of tea might also be good to settle the stomach but if the sickness is caused by anxiety as it is often in my case it sometimes works to tune out of f the world as I move from place to place.
supportiveSunshine22
one should try yoga or meditation for getting relieve from all those fears... its only us how can overcome our fears or sickness
Anonymous
Small steps, try going to the mailbox first, sit outside your front door and breath in deep breathes, get a feel of the environment, once your comfortable walk around the block, -avoid large crowds until your ready
majesticturtle33
Go to your GP and ask if this is a system of any disorders. Talk to people about how you're feeling and ask for advise.
Anonymous
Can you maybe think of any reason why you may be feeling un-well? It could be a sense of nervousness.
Anonymous
You could try taking deep breaths, I know it sounds cliche but just stopping a taking deep breaths and being in tune with your surroundings really helps. Also before leaving home sometimes I like like to mentally prepare myself for what's outside and do a bit of breathing exercises to calm myself. I make it a point to leave the house in a positive mood.
avamadueno22
Depending on if it's actual physical sickness then I'd recommend seeing a doctor, but if it's just because you miss people and how calm and relaxed everything is when you're home it's most likely being homesick, everyone gets it and it's nothing to worry about.
amiableTree17
A great way to help yourself feel more motivated to go outside is set small goals for yourself. You can start slow, don't force yourself or rush into it. Maybe start small by going outside to get the mail or pick up something for dinner. Make every time you go out have a purpose so you're more focused on that end result.
Midnightislistening
You should first access the situation why do you feel upset or sick when you leave. Is there a particular fear, or reason Access that first and then try to solve the problem
Mila76
You might feel sick whenever you leave the house because you might be homesick or dealing with social anxiety. Reflect yourself on who or what made you feel this way. Is it because you don't go outside much? Most people who stay inside a lot feel sick when they go out. If that's not the case, then it most likely is anxiety. I suggest to make yourself feel better, the least you can do is dress your best. Most people tend to feel more confident in themselves when they wear their favorite outfits or try on some makeup. I'm not saying you should completely change yourself, just try doing something which can make you feel happier inside.
CaptainBlueEyes
Is it just a feeling? Are you ever actually sick? If not then just keep reminding yourself that you aren't going to be sick, that you are going to be okay. Do things to distract yourself; such as listening to music, saying the colours of the things you see, counting how many cars you can see, etc. Start small to begin with and build it up but the more you go out the more your brain will realise there's no reason to feel so sick (from anxiety?) and the feeling should start to go. It's going to take time, you'll probably still have days/weeks/months where you feel like it's not getting better but it does. The more you go out and overcome it, the higher the chances of that feeling going are.
Paulaaaa
Before stepping outside of your house, put in your earphones and start playing a playlist of your favourite songs. Get into the music, take a deep breath, and walk outside at your own pace. Just focus on the music, and get lost in it. You'll find yourself thinking less about the act of leaving your house, therefore not feeling so anxious and nauseous.
AutumnLeigh
March 2nd, 2017 10:30pm
It sounds as though you may have a social anxiety. Can you think of something that happened outside of the comfort zone of your home in the past? Have you avoided leaving the house for a long time? Either of these circumstances can make you feel anxious or ill when you leave your home. Perhaps work with a trusted friend to be with you when you have to go somewhere and work your way to becoming OK with being in public again.
Anonymous
take a deep breath, put your earphones in, walk out the door and remember that its just another day and you're alright
Lena00
There may be a lot of reasons as to why this may occur. If it's minor, then consider it as being "home sick." Maybe this is due to the fact of being to obsessive of your place at home, or this could be as a result of rarely going out. Whichever, they're both going to affect you towards the long run. Best solution, would be to balance the amount of time you spend outside. Like even if it's a thirty minute walk nearby, try and balance how many times you do it and for how long. Try spotting the positives to leaving your house. Like make sure you pick or search for an appropriate reason (hobbies, friends, etc), and an appropriate place that suits your comfort zone (even if balanced time) such as (a park nearby, your backyard (starting point), etc. If major however, maybe try and speak to a doctor. Have him do a full-on check up. Thanks and I hope this has helped!
TaranWanderer
Try giving yourself little rewards when you leave your house, like a piece of candy you enjoy, read a book your love outside, paint, or whatever you enjoy doing. By associating outside with positive things, it would help you feel less sick about going out, and instead will make you feel happy to be outside because you know you will get something you like out of it.
softpinkmomlistens
Create a routine when you leave, such as checking for your keys, phone, and money in that order, or anything else. Make sure to take a bottle of water or snack with you if you travel to work, job, or even for a walk.
Anonymous
Have you been to see a doctor about this? I know the thought of leaving your house when you have had experiences of feeling sick when you leave, but it would really help to talk to a doctor about this so you can get professional advice.
BlueButterfly4
Well first it really depends on what kind of sick you're feeling. I assume you're talking about being homesick though. If that's the case, a few things you could do is warm yourself up. Go outside one day and walk away from your house. Don't go anywhere, just walk outside. Allow yourself to escape the shell that your house provides, and learn to break away from those chains.