I feel extremely sick whenever I leave my house, what can I do?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

Anonymous
Practice grounding. Distract yourself. Practice mindfulness. Get fresh air. Smell something soothing. Take anxiety medicine. Hold onto something comforting. Remind yourself you are okay. Go with a buddy. Reward yourself. Think positive. Wear comfortable clothes. Be aware of if you are too hot or cold. Drink chamomile or green tea. Suck on a piece of candy. Chew gum. Practice breathing techniques. Focus on your breathing. Make sure you are taking care of yourself. Bring some water. Make sure you are eating enough. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Get a stress ball. Try relaxing techniques. Get a "That was easy", button.
beautifulsoul247
A number people feel this way sometimes. The intensity of reluctance to leave the house may vary, as do the reasons behind it. If the feeling is extreme to the point of hindering your day-to-day life, it is important to acknowledge that professional consultation might be called for. How does one overcome that which they do not know? Especially where mental health is concerned, when the discomfort is not visible, one may feel doubtful of its existence and therefore unsure of how to act. A professional can help to diagnose that a condition definitely exists based on facts and not mere feeling. They can identify the degree or intensity. They would be in the best position to advise on a course of action based on findings. While seeking professional help might seem daunting, imagine the peace of mind you can feel when you truly know what you are experiencing and the best ways to cope.
Morgannn92
Bringing comforting things that remind you of your house or safe place can be helpful, or even taking a specific scent or taste with you. I put essential oils that I put in my candles at home on my wrists when I go to school and whenever I feel nervous I smell my wrists. You can also put home-related items in jewelry (like a locket) that you can open up and look at, or just put a little something in your pocket that reminds you of home. I also chew gum that reminds me of home and family (my aunt, whom I love with, chews the same gum).
Dad1st
I would seek the help of a therapist. There are plenty of options to speak to one online, even here on 7 cups, so there is no leaving the house required. Another good thing to try is a short walk just around your house. Could be a stroll through your yard or maybe just maybe a small walk down the sidewalk. Contact a friend or family member to go with you if you feel like that would make you more comfortable. There is a great big wide world out there with lots to do and see, you dont want to miss out.
JennMarie2
It sounds like you are having some anxiety related to leaving a place where you feel comfortable. Some things that can be helpful including bringing something with you when you leave that reminds you of being home, and setting a time table for yourself so you know that even though you are spending "X" hours away from your house, you will be able to go home where you feel comfortable after those "X" hours have passed. A lot of people find it comforting to brig something small with them every time that they leave. They leave it in their pockets and then when they get back home, they put it back where it is supposed to go for the next time that they have to leave. It usually helps if the item is centrally located in your house so that you see it frequently when you are at home and comfortable. Associating comforting feelings with the object can relieve anxiety when you are away from home.
kindDreamer9743
The best way to deal with this issue is always to have in your mind that your home is your sanctuary and you can return to it as often and when you like to there are no restrictions, taking controlled breaths and remaining calm will reducing the anxiety level and reducing the "sick" feeling we all get from time to time although its more prominant in others, just take a few moments before leaving the house to reassure yourself that you will return at any time you wish no one else has the control of that but you, on your journey out feel calm that you will return and have the feeling of empowerment that you have overcome that situation even if you have only been away for a few moments this will get longer the more you work on this.
Snehapunna1
Have something exciting planned outside your house, like picking up flowers or doing something for yourself that you absolutely love. Change the outdoor setup that once you step out of the house, you want to spend more like there, make it your transformation zone, when you feel good, put up things like more plants, or a simple favorite quote that reminds you "an adventure is about to begin" or a peaceful statue that you like staring it. It could be literally anything you love. Schedule the day with something you love doing outdoors, it need not necessarily be a sport, even a good meal / something for yourself will do.
Anonymous
I would suggest taking a gradual approach, short trips to and from your home. Maybe start off with spending a few minutes outside the front of your home , then progressing to maybe short trips to the shops.Acknowledge and be kind to your self with each journey. Overtime take longer journeys. I would say patience and kindness with yourself is key.If you have a trusted friend or family member to accompany and support that would be great. Speaking with your doctor for further support and advice regarding this may be a good idea if you have not done so already. Small steps make a long journey over time.
Anonymous
If feeling sick from leaving your house is your result, then find what is the cause. When you leave your house, what goes through your mind or around in your surroundings that is triggering this response. Be aware of what may be causing it. If you find out what is triggering it, you can learn how to properly deal with the triggers. There may be multiple things that could be triggering you before you even leave the house causing the stress to build more each time you leave your house. You must be feeling extremely stressed whenever you have to leave the house which I can understand. 7 cups is here to support you in any way we can!
Anonymous
When I feel like that, I try to focus my brain solely on my goal. What do I want to do while I'm out of the house? What is the next baby step that I need to take to get me where I'm going? Just focus on the immediate next step. I also make sure that I'm breathing deeply, in and out, in and out. If I need to take a break from what I'm doing to focus on my breath, I will do that. It is important to not get overwhelmed and focusing on my breath usually helps me.
rachelyaey
This reminds me when I realized I had social anxiety. I hated leaving and when I left the house I felt like I was going to throw up. I told my sister about it and she told me it seemed like anxiety. She started to leave the house with me to make me feel more comfortable. This helped a lot because I felt safe with her. After a while I started leaving without her. It was really nice having her there to support me, but I got to push myself after months of going out only with her and my anxiety started to go away. My fear of leaving is still there but its a lot better than before. I think realizing that I had social anxiety really helped me because I was able to get help with that.
Anonymous
The world is full of possibilites and when you go out, you give yourself a chance to welcome those possibilites so they bring a positive change in your life. Pat yourself for that! Take a deep breath, tell yourself that you'll be okay and give yourself a chance to believe it. Whenever you feel burdered or sickened, remind yourself of how you're actually doing yourself good by going out. Another way of processing what you're feeling is by writing about it. When you know what thoughts you're dealing with, you can address them and prepare yourself mentally to combat them. Next time you go out, you know what thoughts are bothering you and you know they're only thoughts at the end of the day. You will always have more power over your mind than it will have over you.
JohnSteel1984
trust your gut either your in a area that is not safe or you are overly anxious! you want to take herbal teas to lesson your anxiety. Another way is try and get someone on board that you feel safe around and see if they will accompany you out side of your home with you so you feel less anxious! you need to also be thankful and grateful for being safe out side of your home when ever these feelings come up...picture yourself outside of your home happy and safe and see yourself in your mind happy and safe. with a little effort you will be able to train your brain to feel safe outside of your home enough to venture by yourself outside.
CountlessWishesL
I think there is more information and that I am missing something in the root of your question. What do you mean when you say “sick” - sick physically, as in nauseated, or allergies? Or emotionally triggered when you leave your home? I want you to feel listened to and supported, but without specific information, it’s hard to come up with an answer or the best help for you. If it is emotionally triggered when leaving your house, what specific triggers have you identified by leaving? Is it many people, anxious or unsure feelings about responsibilities or safety fears? Are you occupied by certain thoughts in your mind, and what kinds?
stargirl0813
There is nothing wrong with feeling that way! There are plenty of activities to do indoors. Whether it is curling up in bed to read a good book, learning a new recipe, or watching your favorite show, staying at home can be fun. There is always a time and place for everything and leaving the house can be done best when feeling comfortable. If you have come to the point where you feel sick, focus on the reasons why and tackle them. Finding support should be considered. Talk to some friends, a neighbor, or even your parents. Always remember to be positive and focus on the good.
breezy786
Feeling sick when leaving the house is a symptom of social anxiety. Firstly I would recommend telling your loved ones and seeking professional help. Secondly, I would recommend going out in public with someone who makes you feel safe. This could be a parent, sibling, cousin, family member, friend, coworker, etc. You can take small steps by first having someone come to your house, and then going out one on one with someone in public and later moving to group hangouts. In addition to that, take baby steps with the places you go to as well. Maybe going to less busy areas makes you feel better than going to crowded places.
Branka32
That is a hard and challenging situation to overcome, have patience, and give yourself time, you will overcome it one step at a time. Can you open a door to your house and sit just in front of the open door (on the inside side)? Maybe do something fun or calming while sitting, maybe talking with a loved one on the phone. If that is too easy, could you do that in front of the open door, on the outside? For 5, or 10 or 15 minutes. If it is too hard, can you move that chair a little further away from the open door? Think of this life challenge as a game children play, with many levels. Once one level is completed, you go on to the next one, harder level. Compled here means - feeling OK and safe for a reasonable duration. Harder is - further and longer away from the house.
herefory0u
Try to work out what's making you feel like this, is it physically getting out go bed which is making you sick or just leaving your house that's making you feel extremely sick? The best thing here to do is get in touch with a medical professional to find out why you are feeling extremely sick as it may be something which isn't obvious. It could possibly be a physical illness or even something mentally. I think that would be the first step if you are not sure what's triggering this.