I feel extremely sick whenever I leave my house, what can I do?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

Anonymous
Many of us struggle with social situations; some to the point of living with social anxiety. The thought of having to speak to others can leave us feeling nauseous, shaking, going clammy, and stuttering. The way I get through this feeling is by slowly exposing myself to the outdoors for 10 minutes at a time until I am unable to tolerate it. When I begin to feel sick, I use relaxation techniques such as deep breathing exercises. Once the 10 minutes is over, I go back home and try again for a little bit longer the next day. It is a process called systematic desensitization which I have found very helpful for myself.
Anonymous
January 23rd, 2021 10:31am
Grounding techniques can be very helpful to manage anxiety. Grounding is where you take a minute to observe your surroundings helping to break unhelpful thoughts. Deep breathing exercises as well. I also find apps like "Calm" to be great ways to begin these sorts of exercises. However, if not being able to leave the house is interfering with your daily life, seeing a psychiatrist is always a great option. They can help you get in touch with other resources to help you better be able to function. It is never a bad thing to ask for help from others.
Anonymous
Leaving home can be scary especially when your going to interact with others and I get that. Whenever you start feeling sick start doing some breathing exercises to help calm you down. If that doesn’t help, maybe you should leave the house more, just for a little bit at a time so your mind can get more used to the thought of going out. If you still feel sick leaving your house, try staying hydrated and keeping an optimistic mind when you leave. Just test all this little exercises out to see is they help at all. I really hope that they do!
Anonymous
It seems you're a home body or you're socially very anxious. There are ways that could actually help, a great deal of exercise and try going out more. Try not to think about the stares you will get when you leave the comfort of your home. You shouldn't feel bad about this tho. Visiting your therapist when necessary will also help and most importantly, avoid places to put you at stake or make you feel socially anxious Try going to the market with your mom. If you have a pet dog, go for a walk daily. The gym is another place you can go to.
Anonymous
I used to feel this way when I would leave my house. I learned to pinpoint what exactly made me nervous about leaving my house. Was it the place I was going to? The people I was meeting? What made the stakes so high for me? Once I pinpointed that, I brought along things that I knew would make me feel better about going. If I felt nauseous, I would bring a hefty bag with me in case I got sick. Once that was all in order, I started taking things one at a time. I would just focus on locking the door, getting into my car, driving, arriving at the destination, etc. Instead of looking at the larger scale, I looked at the little actions I needed to do. After a while, I started just naturally flowing through them without needing certain things, like my hefty bag. Hope this helps!
Rain0813
I had a friend before that has the same situation as you. What I suggested her to do was to use an umbrella to shadow herself whenever she leaves the house for necessary. By using the umbrella, she is able to imagine that she is still under coverage by her house. And as time passed by, the time she used the umbrella to go out started to decrease because she gradually realize that it's not scary and anxious going out. It's just a small suggestion that I gave to my friend and that worked out. I hope you can find your way to reduce your anxiety when leaving your house. Hope you can feel better next time when you leave the house :)