I feel extremely sick whenever I leave my house, what can I do?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
January 23rd, 2021 10:31am
Grounding techniques can be very helpful to manage anxiety. Grounding is where you take a minute to observe your surroundings helping to break unhelpful thoughts. Deep breathing exercises as well. I also find apps like "Calm" to be great ways to begin these sorts of exercises. However, if not being able to leave the house is interfering with your daily life, seeing a psychiatrist is always a great option. They can help you get in touch with other resources to help you better be able to function. It is never a bad thing to ask for help from others.
Anonymous
Leaving home can be scary especially when your going to interact with others and I get that. Whenever you start feeling sick start doing some breathing exercises to help calm you down. If that doesn’t help, maybe you should leave the house more, just for a little bit at a time so your mind can get more used to the thought of going out. If you still feel sick leaving your house, try staying hydrated and keeping an optimistic mind when you leave. Just test all this little exercises out to see is they help at all. I really hope that they do!
Anonymous
It seems you're a home body or you're socially very anxious. There are ways that could actually help, a great deal of exercise and try going out more. Try not to think about the stares you will get when you leave the comfort of your home. You shouldn't feel bad about this tho. Visiting your therapist when necessary will also help and most importantly, avoid places to put you at stake or make you feel socially anxious Try going to the market with your mom. If you have a pet dog, go for a walk daily. The gym is another place you can go to.
Anonymous
I used to feel this way when I would leave my house. I learned to pinpoint what exactly made me nervous about leaving my house. Was it the place I was going to? The people I was meeting? What made the stakes so high for me? Once I pinpointed that, I brought along things that I knew would make me feel better about going. If I felt nauseous, I would bring a hefty bag with me in case I got sick. Once that was all in order, I started taking things one at a time. I would just focus on locking the door, getting into my car, driving, arriving at the destination, etc. Instead of looking at the larger scale, I looked at the little actions I needed to do. After a while, I started just naturally flowing through them without needing certain things, like my hefty bag. Hope this helps!
Rain0813
I had a friend before that has the same situation as you. What I suggested her to do was to use an umbrella to shadow herself whenever she leaves the house for necessary. By using the umbrella, she is able to imagine that she is still under coverage by her house. And as time passed by, the time she used the umbrella to go out started to decrease because she gradually realize that it's not scary and anxious going out. It's just a small suggestion that I gave to my friend and that worked out. I hope you can find your way to reduce your anxiety when leaving your house. Hope you can feel better next time when you leave the house :)
Anonymous
When I feel sick, I consider the cause. If it's social anxiety, I take a breathing moment, sit down if possible, and try to be mindful of where that's coming from. Sometimes there's air pollution in my city. If that's the cause, I'll bring a heavier mask with me as I go outside and go about my day. Although I haven't experienced it, you might be dealing with musculoskeletal issues related to motion/movement. If that's the case, consider keeping out a medical professional if possible. In this case, there are also a few stretching and yoga-like exercise resources on the internet that can help and are free.
Anonymous
Have you tried to go with some one maybe some one you can trust and some one you know will support you and help you while you experience this difficult time? You could always make sure you are comfortable doing this at a time. And don’t push yourself too hard as I know it may seem like you need to rush but you don’t need to rush anything just go at your own pace and make sure you don’t punish yourself if you don’t complete this straight away as it will take time and work to complete this goal.
Anonymous
Sometimes this happens because of you're scared of what you're going to experience outside of your house, this is okay. The best thing to do is to sit down with yourself and think, what am i going to do today, where am i going to go, what is going to happen, is there anything that i can control? Slowly you will have a plan of what will happen and you can calm your brain with the fact that you've thought of every possible outcome of todays outing. Obviously, you cannot control everything that happens around you, and that is okay, but as long as you take a deep breath and say "okay how can i get back on track" you will feel alot more in control and happy when going out. Hope this helped :)
Veratos
I believe I have experienced this feeling before, a sense of nausea which could be induced by anxiety - This is completely normal, many people experience it, it's simply your fight/flight reacting with what could be worries of something happening while you are out and about. Perhaps it could be an idea to use the idea of gradual exposure, I'm not saying it's a fix, only an idea. By slowly building from small walks out, perhaps to the corner of your street, or even a few feet, up to longer journeys, you could it possible to build your tolerance for this anxiety, and thus reduce that nausea.