Is anxiety something you are born with?

Jovica Grey, LMHC,NCC

I work with issues such as substance abuse, anxiety, depression, low self esteem, trauma, anger management, women issues, emotional disturbances and other life stressors.

Anonymous
No , anxiety is gained after time, built up on a fear of something that may happen, and consists of bad thoughts
ListeningJ
I think anxiety is both environmental and inherited. For example, some people are born more introvert than others, naturally. However, some people like myself are made to be so anxious because of their past experiences. For example, I have a dog. When she was a pup, she met a baby Labrador, and the lab got a bit excited and pushed her into a shrub. Since then, she has been afraid of any and all dogs she meets. Just like her, I think people can also be conditioned to be more anxious and nervy in certain situations.
Anonymous
yes. it is something that you have always had but it usually comes by a trigger during puberty but also there is earlier onset.
Ashleighskye
No. Anxiety is something you feel due to experiences and stressors in life. Anxiety is manageable. :)
Savana13
It depends on the person. Some have it as long as they can remember, but sometimes it emerges after trauma, or at adolsecent(like mine).
BrightOrchid
I do not think anxiety (or any mental illness) is something a person is born with. Rather, it is something that many people come to experience during their lifetimes. It is accepted within the medical community, however, that those with a family history of anxiety (or any mental illness) have a genetic predisposition to anxiety. In other words, if a parent or grandparent had anxiety, the person will be more likely to experience anxiety due to biological factors (imbalance of hormones, neurotransmitters, and other such chemicals in the brain).
ShannynMayyy
Personally, I think anxiety is something you develop over time, and with experiences. I struggled with anxiety for a while around high school, its tough to overcome, but with time and patience, you'll get there.
Anonymous
Anxiety runs in my family. I have struggled with it, just like my mom and my grandma. But, I think my anxiety growing up was mainly caused by my abusive father. I feel like if it wasn't for him, I might have not struggled with anxiety.
MaryP
Not necessarily, but it is something that can develop early in your life, depending on the circumstances of your upbringing.
bouncyMist58
I'm really not sure if anxiety is something you are born with or not....it seems like something you might be.
Jedda
I think that anxiety is something we experience when conditions are not right like high stress and extreme pressure.
cloudia
Anxiety can be something you are born with, through genetics, but it can also be something experienced, through cognitive influence, where anxiety can be caused by faulty thinking processes in the brain, or through behavioural influence, where anxiety is learnt through association.
FrancescaGabrielle
You can be genetically predisposed to be more likely to experience anxiety. So yes, you can sometimes be born with anxiety.
UniqueLife
yeah, it is. anxiety is part of human and every other being's instinct to stay alive and survive the world. it's natural, but the level of anxiety varies.
Anonymous
I personally think that anxiety is developed over time. I got anxiety around the time I was nine. :/
msltoe
Yes. My mom reported that the night I was born, I was startled in my crib by a nurse closing the door.
teddylovebear
Anxiety is what everyone has. It is a defense mechanism in our body, some are moderate, some suffers from anxiety disorder. I personally don't use to have anxiety disorders but society has molded me to one with judgement and harsh criticism, I became afraid of opening up, and sometimes, anxious when I have to be on camera or stand on stage. Fortunately, it is something I acknowledge and am working on getting better at.
UmbraOlim
No, anxiety is something shaped by the people around you, your situations, and the emotions encouraged as a child. Some people are more susceptible to it due to conditions or genes, but most of it is influenced by those around them.
MorenaJasmine
From my experience, anxiety isn't something that you are born with although some may be more prone to developing anxiety, anxiety is a gradual process that often relates to a hidden fear, either from past traumas or present problems.
simmi1612
It's a feeling which is felt by everyone at some point of time in their lives. It's just that diffrent people feel it during different kind of situations .
emilycraft
I believe that anxiety is something that comes over a period of overwelming stress. You aren't born with it.
Simplyilse14
Anxiety has not been with me since I was born. As soon as my family started having issues was when it jump started and then got progressively worse but exercise and reading helped me get through it.
Anonymous
No, Anxiety isnt something people are born with. It's something we acquire over the years. Like, when we are born, do we fear the dark? Or be afraid of closed spaces? No, it's only when we grow up do we develop these fears. The same way, we develop anxiety due to the happenings all around us.
RaleighC
There is research to indicate that anxiety can be passed down genetically, but in order to have it develop situational or environmental triggers or circumstances often occur. Everyone experiences anxiety at some point; even infants do. Whether anxiety becomes a condition in someone depends on their environment, their circumstances, and possibly their genes.
Anonymous
No, and it can be overcome with "easy" effort. If you are informing your self on the internet it is a great first step. Good luck & much love ;)
tipra
It's not something I born with but it's something I got when I started dealing with lot of problems at the same time.
AlwaysJen
An anxiety disorder may have genetic basis, but it can also be triggered by stress and the environment. Often times, the appearance of an anxiety disorder can be based on both genetic predisposition, and the environment one is exposed to.
heyitssaf
I think that feeling more concerned about people, plans, details, etc. than someone else might can be something you are born with, and can be very useful. It can allow you to be a better planner, a better manager, a better friend- the purposes are limitless. However, I think the incorporation of fear is learned, and this is what creates anxiety.
fromthesea
In my experience, anxiety is something you are born with. Some people feel anxious about things other people don't feel anxious about and that is just you. You can get it through certain experiences as well. If you're laughed at because of something you said in front of the class, you might get anxious for speaking in class.
Anonymous
Often times anxiety is caused by neurotransmitter deficiencies in the brain, so in some cases, yes.