Is anxiety something you are born with?

Hisham Tawfik, M.S.W.

Counseling and psychological services are my passion more than my work, It is all about love, and love is the only real value.

Anonymous
No, Anxiety is something which we are responsible for primarily to create it, we feed it and then it grows someway or the other
EIB94
There is state anxiety (in the current moment) and trait anxiety (related to specific events). Anxiety can be learned and there is evidence supporting a biological connection though it is not solid. Anxiety is not inherited rather people have or are born with specific trait markers which predispose them to types of anxiety. To this point anxiety is possibly inherited but the triggers for both types of anxiety would be different from parent to child, in either state or trait anxiety.
Alex1618
Anxiety is a regular part of life. Everyone feels anxiety at many different times in their life. From an existential viewpoint, we are chronically anxious about our fears of dying right from birth. It's all a matter of dealing with anxiety through healthy outlet. I don't think anyone is free of anxiety.
Drummaboi
Yes. We all have anxiety from time to time. Some are able to control it better than others, who tend to push it deep inside and shy away from solutions as I have always done. Those who are having trouble with their anxiety just need a push in the right direction with help to find ways of combatting this fixable issue :)
Anonymous
I don't believe anxiety is something you are born with, I think it is a learned reaction we gain through life experiences. A baby doesn't learn seperation anxiety until they are seperated from their mother. Its not always something we can control, but we can take steps to help ourselves covercome it.
Anonymous
No not at all. Anxiety is very complexed issue. In most cases it triggered by an traumatic expirence.
ListenerMike
No. You gain anxiety through experiences that you have. You lose anxiety through others' support. Friends, family, and even anonymous listeners help you through any problems.
zelda7879
Anxiety can be something your born with, though most of the time is caused by the situation you are in, for example tests can give anxiety to certain people.
Anonymous
I think it's different for everyone. Some people develop it later in life, and others are born with it, like me. I actually don'tknow if I was, but I've had it for as long as I can remember.
Bobcott
December 22nd, 2015 3:59am
I've heard that those with anxiety issues and maybe hypochondria often have other family members who've had similar experiences. I cannot verify this statement, but if this is true, then it may be something genetic. Hope this helps :)
Akatsuya
February 22nd, 2016 6:54am
No. Anxiety can be developed due to traumatic events, or you could have inherited a trait from your parents that makes you prone to anxiety.
Anonymous
Not necessarily, as you can absolutely develop it at any point in your life. Anxious behaviors can also be inherited.
JumpyGoiaba
It depends on a variety of factors. Most people who experience anxiety are already born with a tendency for it, but it's not just genetics that influence it. The overall environment, social context and life experiences can fuel anxiety just as much as genetics. I think it has to do with a bit of everything.
theezx
There are different types of anxiety(in the moment and at specific events) and I donĀ“t think you are born with it. There may be some evidence about it but Anxiety mostly develops through your puberty and is mostly inhereted and environmental, or after traumatic or just events that may help it develop.
SpiceWithATouchOfNice
Anxiety can be something you are born with. People can be born with panic attacks or just being naturally shy. Its human nature.
SilentSerenityy
March 23rd, 2016 9:48pm
You're born with the flight or fight response which could be considered a natural anxiety, but the anxiety you're referring to is something you develop from stressful experiences throughout your life. A baby/toddler/child could develop anxiety about something after a bad experience.
Anonymous
I think I've had it as long as I can remember, but that's not the case with everyone. Sometimes it can develop after a traumatic event in one's life.
goodlistener8
No, I don't think so. I don't believe I was born with anxiety, I didn't even had anxiety up until few years back. I don't think anyone is born with mental illness.
AthenaHope122
No. Anxiety builds up over time if not dealt with in a healthy way. Anxiety is normal, but too much isn't
Sara1506
It's usually developed. You might think you were born with it but it may have been developed at a young age.
Anonymous
Anxiety is something you are not born with, you can get it throughout your life. Most people get it when they are teenagers.
Anonymous
maybe? i'm sure its something that you develop though but of course you could develop it at a young age and therefore it becoming something so normal to yourself.
nlpinspiration
Yes, we are all born with anxiety. The anxiety prevents from unwanted situations. Sometimes anxiety is based on our irrelevant thought, and than it has bad influence on our behavior
dogswinenetflix
Anxiety is a condition that you can be genetically predisposed to, but depending on your environment as you grow up, you can develop it or not. You may develop anxiety at a young age if you experience trauma such as abuse or bullying (these are examples and are not limited to that). But even if it is not something you are genetically predisposed to, you can still develop anxiety if exposed to enough trauma, especially if it all happens in a short amount of time!
Anonymous
I think not, Anxiety can be caused by either physical or psychological reasons. and it can also can be caused from fear. I, personally, don't think that anyone was born with it. I think it comes when you get older and older and start worrying about life, I also think that every time you get older it comes more. But that doesn't mean that you can't beat it.
Alden94
I don't think anxiety is something you're born with. I've always been nervous but it's been a lot worse since I've grown up
Skylarsanders
For some it is, but for others, it develops with emotional stress. There's different types of anxiety
LittleMissJoy
No. We are born with only 2 fears which are the fear of loud noises and falling. Everything else we develop throughout our lives and, unfortunately anxiety is something that is a result due to our fears.
Anonymous
Anxiety can run in families, and it can be influenced by your environment. Are you feeling anxious about something that you would like to talk about? I"m here to listen.
dxphne
I feel like it is something that you are born with, in some way. I kind of feel like I've always been more nervous about things than most people, however I feel like most of the time it takes a hard experience to make it worse enough to really be labeled as anxiety. For example, as a child I've always had issues with going to school and doing things or even just going places alone/without my parents. As a teen I struggeled with bullying at school, this made it even harder to go to school and it made me even more insecure and more scared to do things alone or without my parents. The bullying made it a lot worse, but the problem has kind of always been there.