Is it hard to think critically about something you love?

Jessica McDaniel, LPC, LCPC

I have been practicing cognitive behavioral psychotherapy since 2007 with a diverse group of adult clients with various diagnoses, all races, and socioeconomic classes.

Anonymous
It can be hard to handle or be around someone who acts like a diva. However, it is important to realize that they may be struggling with something in their personal life, and this is how they behave to cope. Just try not to let their attitude or behavior effect you in a personal way. On the other hand, do want to still treat them kindly, no matter how they treat you. And if their behavior does start to negatively affect you, it is okay to excuse yourself from the conversation. The important thing to take away from this is that you never know what someone is going through and how they cope, so try not to jump to conclusions or be harsh.
Khanak
I think it works the same way as you think about a person you love. You begin to love their flaws and imperfections too, and hence you may have a difficult time thinking critically about them. Furthermore, when you love something or someone, you tend to focus on the positives - that's a part of love. However that does not mean that a bit of constructive criticism is bad. It is often helpful to think critically about something you love with the goal of making it better, and overcome or even just come to terms with the downsides of it.
Anonymous
I feel that it is difficult to be critical of something you love. There is a sense that you may be disrespecting it or betraying it when you do thing critically of it. For me i like to make a issues list and write whether the issue is big or small and to write out possible solutions to this way of thinking. I have found that it allows for me to weigh out things before I make any remarks that I might soon regret or by making the situation worse. This tool is quite helpful and often has led to healthy resolutions to many issues.
safeshoulder2CryOn
As Love has many facets to it, a lover need to explore various perspectives before he/she can invest emotionally. Emotional servitude necessitates critical thinking to prevent stress and suffering. Thinking critically about What to do, Who should be included or excluded, What could go right, What could go wrong, What is required and How to get it are all necessary for love because it promotes physical, intellectual n spiritual well-being. Those who are negligent or who cannot be bothered with critical thinking will end by frustrating both themselves and those they love. In the worse case, the lack of it might result in short-term and/or long-term breakups. This is a very important skill to develop for anyone who truly love their partners.
peacefulPraval
Love is an emotion that in some cases can blind your logical and ethical side of thinking. For example, when many people are in love, they don't think every aspect of the person or thing clearly. This is some cases can lead to negative repercussions. However, for some people, this can be easy to do and it isn't that hard for someone to critically think about a topic that relates to something or someone you love. This once again emphasizes that fact that everyone is made different and has a different way of approaching something. All in all, I believe that it may be hard for someone to critically think about something they love.
Anonymous
One of the hardest things is to think critically and deeply about something I love. Although it brings me momentary happiness I then remember how I can lose that thing so easily and it causes me to go into a downward spiral. Having to actively think about something i love so deeply causes me so much stress and anxiety. I often notice myself making up scenarios of how things would be if I lost that thing and it isn’t easy. A way I have it helpful to ease the worries and pain that come along with thinking critically about something I love, is to do the anxiety guide here on 7 cups. Keep my self calm and collected and try not to jump to conclusions or endings about anything.
charmingdeer909
In my opinion, no. While you probably think of something you love in a positive light, at times you may feel like you could do better at something you love. Perhaps this is a hobby of yours, such as dance. At first, your goal is to simply pick up choreography and improve as much as you can. However, as you become a more experienced dancer, your standards become to creep higher and higher while your growth plateaus. Thus, you might become very self-critical of your ability to dance, even though it's something you love. I am mostly speaking from personal experience.
Anonymous
It can be hard to move yourself into a neutral place when it comes to something you love or even respect. But, it isn't impossible. Just like when people love a celebrity, but perhaps there might be some problematic things that they have done. Many people would have the tendency to ignore or be in denial that this person can be anything less than perfect, so they cannot really think critically about this person or their actions. When they remove the mindset, though, that this person is not a superhero and that they are human, I do think that you remove the rose-colored glasses in order to think in a neutral manner. So, when it comes to something you love, maybe it is hard to remove yourself from your experience that this thing is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it when someone else has a completely different viewpoint. You will simply have to pause and try to be open to hearing and understand another point of view, even if it isn't your experience. Really hope this helps some.
Anonymous
I think it can be very hard to think critically of something you love. Love can be blinding sometimes if we let it take precedence over the things we believe are right. Though it can be very difficult, I think it's good to take a step back and try your hardest to see your situation with a fresh perspective. Though this can be hard, try to keep your hold on your morals and what you believe in. Loving something is not a bad thing, but you shouldn't let your love cloud your judgement. You are loved and you are enough. Best of luck to you!
Justheretohelpyouloves
It is always going to be a conscious effort to think ethically about something that you love and care so much for. Personal bias is inevitable and we tend to implement this bias into our train of thought unintentionally when we're analyzing situations that are personal to us. How difficult it is think critically about something or someone you love is subjective, because some people are more prone to being willing to step outside themselves and look at situations objectively. We all have the ability to put our bias aside and think critically, it's only dependent on how willing one is to take these steps.
ShareWidSandy
It depends. As we develop emotional abilities with time and experiences make us better on how we deal with love. You can be selfless in love yet know perfectly well if you are being fooled or exploited in some way. It's about how our brains are wired, In love matters things tend to go more caring and blind by default but I think being too critical or being really less critical will not turn out to be a good soluion. So how do we know what's the perfect balance for each individual. Love and share. Beware of exploitation and unnecessary caring.
Anonymous
When we love something a lot, our emotional attachment to that thing can sometimes sway our thoughts about it. Feelings (like love) are always valid, but that doesn't mean they follow a strict code of logic, or that they are necessarily rational. The heart and the head can sometimes disagree, which can make decision making very tricky. If you're finding it hard to use cold hard logic to consider issues having to do with something you love, you are not alone. Many people feel that significant emotional attachment can cloud their judgement when they need to decide a best course of action.
OrganicPassionFruit
Yes it can be hard to think critically about something you love. Love is like looking through rose tinted glasses. Your perception might not necessarily be an accurate outlook on the thing you love. Love can provide more compassion and acceptance towards the thing you love, where in reality this thing requires more of your resistance and uncompromising stance. When you love something it can unintentionally form a barrier of protection, protecting it from criticisms, negativity and un-favoured opinions. This is where it is important to really sit with yourself and your deep thoughts and gut feelings and attempt to look at the situation with an un-biased eye, as hard as that can be when love comes into play.
Anonymous
It is. Critical thinking requires you to be completely objective in your judgement, which can be particularly hard for something (or someone) that you love. Although decision making should theoretically be completely from the head, having a bit of emotion sprinkled in shouldn't be a bad thing. Humans are creatures of emotion, although we shouldn't let that totally govern our actions and cause us to make a decision we might regret in the future. Asking other people for their outlook and advice would also help, mainly because they might have a different and more compatible solution than us in the heat of the moment.