Is it normal to feel more anxious when you're alone?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

Anonymous
Personally I believe it is. It's incredibly hard when I'm alone to clear my thoughts and get rid of all that anxiety, and sometimes I just can't. I struggle with falling asleep at night because of this and I'm sure I am not the only one. Anxiety can be a real jerks sometimes. Normally I listen to music or something to distract myself, but sometimes that's not something I can do so I distract myself with hobbies. My parents don't seem to think that is a good idea and take them all away. They think I need to deal with the voices in my head without distractions to make things easier on me. I'm not so sure.
Birog
Absolutely! When I'm alone, it's easy to get "trapped" into ruminating. Sometimes we think about prior social interactions, things we've done, and/or relationships and we consider what could have done better. Could I have said the wrong thing? Did I miss an important social cue? What is this person thinking about me since I did or said this *wrong* thing? Could I have done a better job on this project? A lot of "what ifs" tend to pop up when I'm alone, too. What if this goes wrong, or my health declines, or I get into a car accident. How will I cope? These, to me, are all normal ruminations that can be combatted with CBT methods and being kind to ourselves.
Anonymous
Yes, it is normal to feel more anxious when alone. Sometimes talking to someone or having someone watch your back can relieve some stress. Feeling anxious is normal. No one should ever feel like hiding their anxiety because almost everyone experiences some form of it anyways. That's why it is important to talk to someone you trust or find a professional. Being alone, whether it be living alone, feeling lonely, or feeling isolated, is anxiety-inducing. In my own experience, I've felt moments of complete isolation. I thought no one would understand how I felt. But that is not true. There is always someone there, and even if they don't understand, they are willing to try.
genesisrose1212
yes. you might have a comfort person or group that you constantly want to have around but during those times when you’re alone, you get that overwhelming anxious fear of the emptiness that surrounds you. sometimes you just need to find something to fill that so the anxiety doesn’t, drawing, music, writing, reading. anything that will draw that anxious feeling away and refresh you. You can only do so much for you. Find that comfort object that takes that anxiety away when you cannot be with your comfort people. once you find that certain place or thing, it will help you so much in the long run. loneliness is anxiety’s partner in crime. do not let it take you over.
Anonymous
In my opinion, it's completely normal. We may have been used to being around a lot of people because it makes you feel safe. But when you're alone, you feel like you're being followed and it just never fails to give you the creeps. You just never know when someone's watching you. Though some people may feel normal when they're alone, the danger is still there. It lurks in every corner so we all have to be really careful. Even when you're hanging out in a group, your safety isn't stable as you think it is. Risky things may happen anywhere and anytime. So be careful when you're alone. Look at your back..
Anonymous
That makes sense, absolutely. When you're alone, it can feel like there's no one there to protect you if something bad happens, which is scary. Or, sometimes, I find that when I'm alone and there's no one around to distract me from my own mind, it's easier for my thoughts to run wild or spiral down and make me overthink things, which can certainly cause a lot of anxiety. Being alone can really get you stuck inside your head, for sure. Do you feel that you're more anxious when you're alone, or do you think these things are true for you at all?
Anonymous
It is absolutely normal to feel anxious when alone. Often, our friends and family are our support systems. Without them, even little things can be hard to deal with. Loneliness can also be awful to deal with. If you're going through something difficult and need company, try to surround yourself with people you know are going to make you feel better. If that's not possible, though, make sure to be kind to yourself and think about what kind of advice your loved ones would give you. Be brave. Hang in there. Know that everyone experiences fear. Always, your emotions are valid.
comfortablePoetry863
January 3rd, 2021 2:22am
Yes, it is completely normal to feel more anxious when you are alone because people tend to feel like there is no one around to help support them. It really helps to talk to other people who will listen to you. I personally feel anxious at times when I am alone because I feel like there is no one around to understand what I am feeling. This causes me to keep my emotions bottled up which distracts me throughout the day. That is why it is best to reach out to empathetic people around you, so you can help feel calmer.