Is it normal to feel more anxious when you're alone?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

Anonymous
Yes, it is normal. People get highly anixous when they're alone for several reasons. It could be because there scared of what will happen or they just might have a fear of being alone
Anonymous
Anxiety is a feeling that we all experience at one time or another. It sounds as though on top of this you are feeling lonely. I understand how you are feeling, and I’m sorry that you feel as though your situation has made you more anxious. It’s natural to feel worried about different aspects of life. Sometimes talking through anxiety can help to ease it a little or understand what is going on. Could you help me understand what’s going on by describing the situation you are in a bit better? Why do you feel like you are alone?
MrsAshleyMarie
That's absolutely normal. Sometimes when we're alone, we have less distractions and therefore more time to think and dwell over our worries. Finding something to distract you might be helpful, such as watching TV, reading a book, listening to music, or exercising. The idea is to get your mind focused on something specific (bonus points if it's something you enjoy). The busier the mind is, the less time it has to be anxious. For example, if you like reading, and you find yourself with some alone time, pick up a good book. You can keep your mind busy while also doing something fun and relaxing.
Anonymous
Yes, of course. When you're alone, it's more difficult to distract yourself from your thoughts and feelings.
RogerDan555
Yes it is. This is because all our thoughts coagulate our mind when we have nothing to do or nobody to talk to. I would recommend you to keep yourself busy in some or the other thing. You can also talk to someone here on 7cups. This way you'll feel less anxious.
oneness1
It depends .If you have dominant fearful thoughts, guilt feelings and tendency to brood over the past suffering , you will feel bad when you are alone. if you choose to enjoy your loneliness , you have to face your fears and feel ease with yourself
psychopsychologist1896
Yess it's completely normal.. loneliness cause you to feel more anxious and frustrated sometimes. It's completely natural. But turn your loneliness into solitude and enjoy your own company.
miraculousPink30
no its not normal. if you feel more anxious when you're alone its better to consult with a therapist
Godlovesus
Every mind functions differently so yes it is normal. But if u r frequently getting anxious without any specific reason then you must seek a professional's help.
Anonymous
Yes. It all depends on what kind of person you are. Some people, including myself, are introverts and feel more comfortable when alone. Introverts tend to feel the most anxious when confronted with social situations. Others, such as a very good friend of mine, are extroverts and thrive in the company of other people, and therefore are more anxious when left with their own thoughts free of distraction. However, this doesn't mean introverted people can't experience the same anxiety when alone. I have found that, occasionally, I get very anxious when my I'm not surrounded by others and my mind is allowed to wander to topics that trigger my anxiety.
Anonymous
Everyone is different, so some people feel anxious when alone and some feel anxious around others! All fears are valid because they are your emotions. I don't know if it is considered "normal," but I know that I certainly feel that way sometimes too.
DuaneYupDuane68
Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm certain. A lot of our anxiety comes from our own self talk. Self talk is that internal conversation we have with ourselves When we are alone that internal self talk is the loudest. Even casual conversation with others can help reduce anxiety.
Anonymous
I think it is. Anxiety for me often stems off of fear of danger or harm. When one is alone, it makes sense that that fear would multiply, as there is one nobody to protect you from these sensed dangers.
avanef
Sometimes it can be, it all depends on what is happening that you feel this way. When I was with my boyfriend for a long time and when he left to go back home and it was back to my normal life, I felt a little "boyfriend sickness" like I was homesick missing him, but that's a little different.
Anonymous
it is very normal to feel more anxious when you're alone, because it is then when you feel most vulnerable and sad
Shunyata
Yes. Every human has the fear of rejection and being left alone. Anxiety is a normal response for a rational fear.
taboo123987
It is totally normal for you to feel anxious when alone! You may not know what to do or can't help your mind from wondering. This is totally normal! Try using grounding techniques to refocus and realize you're not alone.
Anonymous
yups. That's the situation where you more likely to feel anxious and depressed. talk to someone it'll help you out.
letthesuncomestreamingin
Yes. When you're alone, you are *alone*, there is nothing to stop you from listening to those dark, disastrous thoughts. They consume you and you can't stop them from making you worry,
SerenaReiki
I think it depends on individual character, for some people being alone means they don't have much distraction from their thoughts. Anxious thinking tends to escalate quickly and when they're alone they can get caught up in the mind too easily and not see things as clearly. If there is someone with them it can draw the person out of a spiral, if the company is compassionate. However for some people who have social anxiety and are naturally loners being alone is often more peaceful and calming than having company. For people like this company is frequently the cause of their anxious feelings and therefore time alone is time to reset their brain and calm down. So I think it all depends on individual circumstances and character.
confussia
February 22nd, 2019 6:05am
I’d say yes, it is normal to be more anxious when you’re alone because this is when your mind is unbusy with everything else going on and its soley focusing on everything you’ve been stressing about. For me, I won’t panic abot something in public for the fear of my friends knowing or somebody looking at me in a weird way. When i’m alone it feels like all my stress from the day has just piled up and now I can finally break down. I usually feel the most anxious when i’m in a quiet place because it feels like i can hesr my thoughts aloud, which can be very stressful at times. So from personal expirences, I would say that it is 100% normal to feel more anxious when you’re alone.
cloudystarlight
Yes. When you're alone, you have the peace of mind to ruminate, which is good and bad at the same time. Thoughts tend to run wild if we let them, and the same goes for anxious thoughts. With no social interaction to distract us or give us a certain tether to reality, we're focused on what goes on inside our mind, so much so that sometimes it can spiral out of control and things that might not feel as grave in a social setting, now feel threatening and take up your entire day. Meditation or just simple mindfulness of your thoughts can help with this.
Anonymous
Anxious is an unexplained fear which can occur anytime. Since the fear has no particular base to it, it can occur when we are alone or amongst a group of people. So it is normal to feel anxious even when your alone because that's the time we have to think and self assess. So it might trigger the fear which is inside us more easily. It may also be easy for us to imagine various situation and over think leading to more fear. So feeling anxious is normal when one is alone as we are thinking in our alone time in excess
Anonymous
Yes, it is normal to feel anxious when alone. Often times, when you’re by yourself, that’s when your mind begins to over-analyze everything. It’s like your mind starts running a marathon of thoughts, and you can’t quiet them down, which can spark anxiety. If this happens, you ought to surround yourself with positive people that will engage in conversations with you, so that you can be more focused. Sometimes it’s refreshing to have some alone time, but you can definitely have too much alone time. You have to make sure there’s a good balance of both, as they’re equally important.
Anonymous
As an extrovert definitely. I consider myself an extrovert, and if I'm alone for any longer periods I usually get really sad and anxious, for really no reason, other than being alone. Of course if you're not an extrovert i can't tell what or why etc, but i can speak for my own experiences:) if you're an extrovert try and find social hobbies if you feel like you have too much time alone and nothing to do!
Anonymous
I am not a doctor. But, Yes (Depending on the context...but since I don't know who's asking I'll just spout out some answers, hopefully this post is helpful and versatile for everyone) Mental illnesses such as anxiety or depression both stem from overthinking. Anxiety roots from "what if?" questions and always keeping an extra mental tab on alert for threats. What happens when we are isolated and left alone with our thoughts is we tend to entertain them and dive into them, sometimes without even realizing. Before we know it, we are wondering why Sally from Bio was glaring at us and what if we were really born not enough. Because when we are not occupied with other tasks (which can be socializing), we can fall back into Thinking Traps. We begin to ruminate and dwell on baggage. Additionally, I know one thing that is common among people suffering from all ranges from mental illness is that they do tend to become much much more reserved than normal (which can be unhelpful to their condition). Another possibility is you could be experiencing some separation anxiety, or the fear of being alone. Have you ever been left by someone in the past? Do you ever fear others around you may leave based on previous trauma? Though I say it depends on the circumstances because some people find socializing draining(introversion) or even stress inducing (ie. they have social anxiety, or body dysmorphia, etc.), so it all depends on the person. But what you are feeling is completely normal, it makes sense and I'm sure many people share the same sentiment of feeling anxious when are(n't) alone (to whichever of the two you can relate to). :) Don't worry
HappyBeach
I think it is because we are more in our minds. When we are alone we tend to overthink things and this leads to that place in your brains where anxious people go. We have to use distractions and learn to love ourselves so that when we are alone we are not self doubting or over thinking. I used to hate being alone and now I love it. Being alone gives me time for me; if I had told my other self that before I would have laughed or cried. Now I cherish those moments because being alone can be so relaxing and refreshing. I can be me. I can do what I want. I can just sit and not talk or have to be something for somebody else. It took me a long time to get here but I used distractions and stopped that over thinking and negative self talk of the big WHAT IF'S. If I can do it, anybody can do it! Small steps to get here but I got here and you can too.
zaatarHoney
Well, if you cope through anxiety, it’s very common. “Normal” is an odd word to use even out of the mental health context, because.. everyone is so unique— everyone has different responses and perceptions of the world around them. You aren’t less normal because you cope through anxiety when alone. It seems like you could really use someone to talk to though, so if you haven’t already, seeking out support here at 7C could be a great option for you! ♡ There are many ways to cope through anxietjy when we feel it, no matter where we are or why it’s happening. Even when you are feeling anxious because you are physically alone, doesn’t mean you are ever alone in this. We’re here for you.
plushUnicorn4912
Yes. It is normal to feel more anxious when alone. When you are with others, most of the time, your mind would be distracted from all your thoughts. If not, you'll be able to share your thoughts with other and they'd be there to validate them or telling you they're absurd, so you wouldn't give a second thought to them. When you're alone, if you don't discipline yourself, your mind can wander, pay attention to details, focus on things that might not be relevant but become relevant because you have no one to tell you if it's okay. Even with discipline, people can get easily lost in their thoughts and it's hard to not fixate on them. That's what could be causing you to feel more anxious when alone.
wonderfullComfort17
It is totally normal. Because you're alone you're more in your own thoughts with no escape or some then to talk too.