Is it normal to feel more anxious when you're alone?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

Anonymous
well different people have different kinds of anxieties and it varies.. it is totally normal to feel this way and its like anxiety is in every single human being at one certain point of life ... we just have to switch to being positive and confident... all is gonna be ok if you will to make it fine
zenoz199
Absolutely! Some people feel anxious when they're alone, others feel anxious in company - sometimes people get a mix of both! Anxiety is quite complex and to be honest it varies from person to person, but it is not uncommon to feel anxious when you're alone - I often do, some company will often make me feel at ease so I don't feel so isolated, but hey that's why I've got two puppies!
Anonymous
Anxiety always has more of a negative of present effect on me when I am alone. When we are alone, we sometimes feel the need to obsess over thoughts and hypotheticals because we are not surrounded and supported by distractions, loved ones, and healthy activity.
JennaMarie18
Yes, typically people feel more anxious when they are alone with there thoughts, do you find you are anxious more?
Anonymous
Many people feel anxious for different reasons. Some people feel more anxious in social settings. Others feel anxious when they're alone. There are many reasons to feel anxious, and all of them are valid.
jakfullofwandering
October 2nd, 2016 4:12am
Yes, because no one is there to take your mind off what is making you anxious and create those distractions.
Anonymous
Being alone makes you prone to living inside of your head, which in turn, can bring anxiety and depression.
Anonymous
Absolutely, it's normal to feel anxious whenever you feel anxious, our anxiety are tailored to us personally
jmb12945
Yes, in my experiences when your alone is when the mind starts playing games with you. Totally normal!
Anonymous
Yes, it may be. Some people just naturally do not like being alone, it is a part of human nature.
fantasticKoala34
It is normal to feel anxious when you are alone however that is also time that you can use to decompress or calm down from your day.
Butterfly121
It is very normal to feel anxiety more strongly or intense when you are alone as their is usually less to distract you from these feelings.
Anonymous
Yes. There are more worries when you are alone, like what if you got hurt, if someone broke in or mugged you, etc.
CatC84
Yes I would say it is very normal, when you are alone you only have the thoughts in your head as company and it often will give negative thoughts about yourself or your life center stage.
CircleHettie
Yes; being alone means that there is little to no exterior stimulus, which can lead your mind to wander, race and focus on things that have been bothering you. This is why night time can be so difficult for people, because as you lay in the dark and the silence of your bed, there is nothing and no one to fill your brain but yourself and that's when it is easiest for you anxiety to come out to play.
Meible
I think it depends on the person. From personal experience, I used to love being alone until I spent less time alone. I learned to enjoy someone else's company, and this is just one case - but as soon as that person left. I felt very anxious when I was alone because they had always been there.
Anonymous
Yes, This is completely normal! Most people feel more anxious alone because there is no one around to distract you from those feelings!
LexTheListener
Yes, it is, believe me. Talking to someone you really trust with these feelings of yours, or talk to a close friend or a parent! I’m sure they’d really be able to help you. :)
Anonymous
Yes, when you are alone there are fewer distractions (nobody to talk to) and you may naturally feel more vulnerable even if you know you are in a safe place. Both of these things could aggravate your anxiety.
lovebestrong
It's normal to feel anxious when you're alone because your thoughts can consume you and take over. I personally like to sit down, put on my favorite show or turn on youtube because those are the things that get me to stop feeling anxious or any sort of bad emotion. They're therapeutic and a quick fix to my anxiety. Talking to someone about your anxiety can help you though.
Hopefulhealing
April 2nd, 2017 5:39am
Based on my personal experience it is , because when you are alone you tend to overthink about things. Especially if there is something significant that is happening in your life. However you can control anxiety but keeping yourself busy. I have found it to be that if I am physically busy even if I am alone I am not as anxious. So sometimes I do cleaning around the house or go out for a walk or a bike ride and all these things have helped me control my anxiety. You have to find what works for you.
Weed
Definitely, just as it is normal to feel stressed before sleep as both times your thoughts go out of control, and cross that line which makes you feel uncomfortable. The best thing to do would be not to worry, and find little things to occupy your mind. Long term solution, would be meditation and relaxation breathing method. Good Luck!
adventurousHazel
When you're alone with your feelings and thoughts, it's natural that you pay attention to them more and get tempted to overthink or dwell on bothersome matter longer. Anxiety can be distracting or even numbing you and keep you from what you were originally up to, but beating yourself up about it or thinking there's anything wrong with you will not make it better. The more comfortable you get with yourself and your own thoughts, the easier it will be to be alone without overthinking or filling yourself up with negativity.
Bra1nwaved
Completely. Anxiety can interrupt life at any moment in time. There's no "normal" with anxiety. It's an individual thing - what could be normal to one person may be rare to another. It's unique to you. There are many ways to manage anxiety when you're alone, these include things like breathing exercises, listening to music, and writing your feelings down. There are also lots of people for you to talk to and people who want to listen and help you.
Anonymous
Yes it's completely normal being alone majority of the time raises anxiety as if something bad is going to happen
Anonymous
It is very normal to feel anxious when you're alone. I've felt it before because when I'm alone, I have time to over think certain situations.
Anonymous
In my experience, yes it is. When I'm alone, I tend to get in my own head more, and am therefore more anxious.
xmadelinex
It is normal to feel anxious when you're alone, totally normal! I sometimes get anxious when I'm home alone/by myself, but I stay strong and fight anxiety!
beautifullycomplicated
Yes because you're more consumed with your thoughts than you would be if you were around other people.
Anonymous
I think it is. When we're busy and hanging out with people sometimes we don't have the time to feel anxious but when we're alone we can focus on these thoughts more and then we can make ourselves more anxious.