Is it normal to feel more anxious when you're alone?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

Anonymous
It is! When you're with others, you keep your mind busy with dialogue, and that sort of pushes anxiety away.
Anonymous
Yeah. We're social creatures. We need others and we always find comfort in their company. So it's normal to fell that way when you feel like you're alone. What you have to do is reach out to someone, make a contact. Talk, feel, touch.
AmethystUnicorn
Yes it is. Your mind can run through many thoughts when you are alone and not occupied with company. It can cause you stress.
lindaeu
It's kinda normal, but there's a lot of ways to reduce your anxiety with activities such as watching tv, read book and others
Harlan
I think people tend to feel more anxious when they're alone because you have the time to think more. You aren't distracted by other people and other things going on, so it makes sense that you might start overthinking during those times.
Nuki6
It’s more than normal. When you’re alone, you’re left with your own thoughts and they can be pretty dangerous sometimes.
Naiawalker
Yes it is when you’re alone you’re having a rough time you have no idea what to do and that can cause many many people a lot of anxiety just make sure to find someone that can help you through this like talk to your parents
Anonymous
Yes, it definitely is normal to feel more anxious when your alone because in a way your thoughts get to you. One second your calm and composed and next your brain fills itself with stressful thoughts.
Anonymous
I understand, we all at times feel this way. It is completely normal. The best advice I can give you is to always keep occupied! Hope this helps.
Anonymous
A lot of people feel anxious when they're alone! Sometimes, when we quiet our minds from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it can be difficult to stop these feelings from creeping in. These feelings can be controlled, however! If you are feeling increased anxiety when you are alone, and it is affecting your mental health, you may want to seek guidance from a therapist.
Anonymous
I think it can be, as it gives you more time to think when everything is quiet. But I have also felt incredibly anxious when surrounded by others, due to social anxiety
Allears247
Yes, a lot of people feel anxious when they are left alone and a lot of people feel at ease when left alone. Just like some feel anxious around crowds, and some don't mind it at all.
beccawebb7
It isn’t normal because there is no normal. Anxiety affects people in many different ways, and loneliness is only one of the many factors that may be more of a trigger for anxiety.
Anonymous
It can be a sign of loneliness, I know I can relate so you're not alone :) But if something happened, just remember to talk to someone about it so you don't carry the stress and burden alone
IveSurvivedAndSoCanYou
It is very normal to feel like that because you are more vulnerable when you are alone and can feel unsafe because you have to deal with anything alone.
CallumJ
Of course it is! Being around other people gives you a sense of security and gives you a huge feeling of warmth! Being alone should not be seen as a negative thing, it's sometimes good to be on your own, reflect on thoughts and take time to care for yourself!
Anonymous
You think more when you're on your own. It's normal to feel anxious when you think too much. Get yourself a job. The brain can't think of two things at once. Keep your brain busy. Don't worry you're not alone. Most anxious people are like you. This is totally normal!
gaypotato235
Yes, that cam be because you may be used to being around people more and when you find yourself alone it may cause you distress. Just remember to breath and remember that it is all going to be okay.
GabrielaaTaker
Yes! You can feel very anxious at any point and time and it is very normal. Just make sure you talk to someone, and let your voice be heard.
HelpAndHealing
Sometimes anxiety peaks when we have nothing to distract us, as the anxious thoughts can then escalate. While people can sometimes trigger anxiety, sometimes they can also sooth it (depending on who they are and your relationship with them). If you're able to, I recommend reaching out to someone you trust (or a stranger here, if that's easier!) if you're struggling by yourself with anxious feelings. Longer term, counselling/therapy may help you to deal with the root causes of your anxiety, and to find ways of dealing with the anxious feelings, both alone and around others.
courageousSun35
It is normal, some people have a fear of being alone which could be due to past traumatic experience while being alone or isolated, which can cause you to become anxious while you are by yourself.
Anonymous
Yes, the mind tends to fill with more anxious thoughts because there is less distracting you when you are alone. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed by the anxiety or like you can not deal with it alone then you can try reaching out to a trusted friend or to a listener here on 7cups.
RachaelEmma
Although not everyone everyone experiences anxiety in the same way, it is perfectly normal to feel more anxious when you are alone. From my experience, I've found that this happened because, when you are alone you can become 'lost in your own thoughts.' The main thing that helped me with this is to try and distract myself when this happens, for example watching TV, reading a book, walking my dog or just trying to get out of the house. I understand this is easier said than done sometimes, however, with practice it can become a useful technique.
MissLisa
Often we as humans find great comfort in those around us be it our friends, family and loved ones. Many people feel anxious whenever they are used to company and then they find themselves on their own. It can be a case of not feeling comfortable in our own body or not feeling comfortable around other people. It is important to look into why you feel anxious as by identifying and exploring the cause, it creates the opportunity to work on skills and techniques to curb these feelings. We cannot work on helping these feelings if we are unaware why we are feeling this way.
Anonymous
Yeah, this is completely normal. When you're alone there's less noise, less noise means you're more likely to start thinking, and more thinking leads to Not Fun Thoughts. The best advice I can give to you is find something to distract you. Play a video game. Watch a stupid TV show. Text a friend and ask to vent. As crazy as it sounds, just because no one is around you doesn't mean no one cares. Feeling anxious is kind of the worst, but in order to get a handle on it, you should be prepared for the times when no one else can help you but yourself.
ElephantTiger1
When you are alone you are left with more time to think and wallow over how you are feeling whereas when you are surrounded by others they can distract you from how you feel. Maybe it would be worth noting the things that made you feel anxious and what helps to take away this anxiety, this may assist you in finding ways to better manage your anxiety. Also, perhaps reaching out to a listener, (I am always available if you ever want to chat) can help you to deal with your anxiety. But it is natural to feel more anxious when you are alone.
MammaFroggie
I personally think so! When we are alone, it's easier to think and sometimes over think. We replay things and analyze them mercilessly when alone if we have nothing distracting us. If there is something you are specifically anxious about, it may be good to address it either professionally or with a listener. Even if you are just generally anxious that is a good idea if it is affecting you negatively. Just remember you are not alone in feelings of anxiety and there are lots of people happy to listen and help you out. Especially when you feel alone or are alone.
Anonymous
I think that it is quite normal to feel more anxious when you are alone, and specially when you are having a quite moment. Why? Because in this quite moment you have the time to listen to yourself. Normally our attention is engaged in lot of things each second, but when we are lonely and without high mental activity, our inner come to surface and says: I´m afraid, I´m constantly afraid...This is the moment when we feel our heart beating strongly, maybe butterflies in the stomach, maybe a little dizzy...and it can be scaring, specially if you are alone...take the chance to find out what scares you and produce the anxiety, ask for help to friends listeners or professionals, but don´t let the anxiety to beat you!
Anonymous
I think experiencing anxiety a lot more when you are alone is very common. Its because when we are surrounded by others it usually means that we feel safer and at peace. On the other hand, when we all alone this feeling of anxiety is coming to us. Personally, I was feeling a lot more anxious when alone. In a situation like this, it's always better to occupy your mind with something than just thinking about your thoughts. Meeting with someone close to you or doing an activity you find amusing and calming is also a way to go.
Anonymous
Yes of course! A lot of people may be extrovert and being alone is like draining your battery. But being with people charges your battery. It's okay to feel anxious while being alone, but it's totally fine if you are not as well. Being lonely to an extent is fine. If for any reason you are feeling really lonely maybe it isn't so 'normal'. You may have anxiety or depression. So it's all on a spectrum if it is 'normal' or if it's out of the ordinary or a mental illness. Be aware though it's not odd or peculiar in anyway.