Is it normal to have trouble breathing during a panic attack?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Anonymous
It is normal to have trouble breathing during a panic attack because when you are in one you're mind stops thinking of possible ways to resolve it and instead you are left to wonder why it all happened during this you may have trouble trying to breathe.
Anonymous
Yes. People tend to have breathing problems during a panic attack, but what you should do is try to breath in and out slowly, that will help you get to the normal rhythm of breathing again.
Anonymous
It is normal to feel short of breath during a panic attack. I also often experience a paralysing fear that sometimes makes me stop in the middle of a crowd or make me cry in difficult situations. Physical responses to stress are normal and can be delt with as you deal with anxiety
friendlyHeart9279
Absolutely. One of the common symptoms of the panic attack is shortness of breath. Interestingly enough, regulating your breath is also the solution to calm your panic attack. Bringing in oxygen will tell your body that you are okay and all the other symptoms will soon go away. Practice the 4-4-8 breathing method. Inhale for 4 seconds. Hold your breath for 4 seconds. Then exhale for 8 seconds. Focus on the movement of the belly going up and down. In order to calm down, you must avoid thinking that you are sick, or dying. Panic attacks feel awful, but they are not dangerous and nothing bad will happen to you. So focus on your breathing and not on your fears.