Is it okay to avoid situations that make me anxious, or is that giving up to it?

New Zealand

Maree Stachel-Williamson, Diploma in Counselling, B.A., Master Practitioner in NLP

My areas of expertise are anxiety, depression & relationships. I am caring & give practical advice. I support you in finding clarity & helping you move forward.

Inapix
I think it's really important to protect yourself - avoiding situations that make you anxious or upset you is not weak or 'giving up', it's self care. Looking after yourself is the first step to happiness and sometimes a bit of 'selfishness' is necessary!
Anonymous
I've had issues with anxiety in the past and what I have learned is not to try and avoid triggers and to combat the behaviour and thinking that leads to continuing anxiety. During an anxiety attack, doing things that play into the feelings of emergency and danger (like leaving the place, breathing exercises, drinking water or tea) strengthen the reflex that leads your brain to assess a situation as an emergency which leads to anxiety. If you're having an attack, leaving the situation that is causing it can be the worst thing you can do because you are giving credibility to a response that says a situation is threatening even if its not (obviously this is different if you are actually in danger). The more you treat it like an emergency,the more adrenaline your body will produce, increasing your symptoms and prolonging the episode. The best thing to do is to continue as normal, treat it as an every day occurrence and your body will learn that it doesn't need to have a special response to deal with stressful situations. Regardless of what you do to deal with the symptoms of anxiety, an attack will generally only last 5-10 minutes anyway unless you continue to feed into the anxious behaviour. Just ride it out and treat it like any other part of your day; a little uncomfortable but no big deal.
Zora17
While you don't want to put yourself in overwhelming situations that will reinforce your fears, it's important to gradually expand your comfort zone. So, small steps at a time, and each time challenge yourself to do a little more until you're able to feel comfortable and tackle the most anxious situations. Overall, build up your confidence to cope by tackling small challenges, allowing you to cope and overcome in the big challenges. For example, perhaps talking to strangers makes you really anxious. Therefore, gradually, make challenges to talk to some acquaintances more, then eventually people you don't know in your class, and finally complete strangers. Do not rush yourself, it is a process.
Mel
If a certain type of situation makes you feel anxious, it’s OK to simply avoid it. It's not giving up, it's self care! Know your limits, and practice self preservation!
Roadie
Another response from my experience (sorry!) One of the things about anxiety is that is a perfectly natural response to a life and death situation. We're supposed to be anxious from time to time, it's perfectly natural and is designed to make you think twice about undertaking an action, going somewhere, or making a decision that has the potential to put us at great danger. Where it becomes an issue is when it gets in the way of you doing every day sorts of activities and interactions. It's important to recognise your present boundaries with anxiety and that slowly stretching them over time is a good thing. And as you do, recognise that you will get through those moments, keep note of your achievements, and give yourself credit for them. If you can't cope with a situation and you need to back out then don't fret too much. Take note of what you learned from the situation and use that for the next situation. You can do this! :)
Anonymous
It's totally okay. Small steps make you to be more comfortable with yourself. You can try it little by little.
chriskopp7
I find from my personal expedience that avoiding situations help in short term, and not in the long term. If you face what is wrong you might be able to fix what is making you anxious.
Anonymous
Although a lot of people say it is best to face up to what makes you anxious, I think that it all depends on what the situation is and how anxious it makes you feel. If you are feeling anxious for something social then I think it is best to figure out how anxious it will make you and whether it is worth it. If you feel like you won't receive anything from the situation and you are getting anxious over it then I think it is completely up to you whether or not you avoid it.
Anonymous
I've been having panic attacks for a long while now. The more you let it take over, the more you avoid living your life because of this, the easier it will be to not do anything. To just sit there and never leave your house, always being alone. Nobody really wants to be completely alone.
Asparagus515
It's good to push yourself out of your comfort zone and teach yourself to hand anxiety-inducing situations but at the same time it's important for you to know your limits and not push yourself past your breaking point.
tallfriend
It is not giving up. Anxiety is like any other illness, and taking care of yourself is mandatory. Staying away from anxiety-inducing situations is healthy and wise.
ToNeverland
I think that it is okay in small amounts. For example take it one place or situation at a time, work on it slowly and at your own pace. Once you feel comfortable i one situation that made you nervous then you can move on to the next with the confidence that you can achieve what you want and you are not your anxiety.
Anonymous
I think that is perfectly fine. I wouldn't consider that "giving up" at all! Then over time, you can learn ways to manage your anxiety, and these situations won't make you as anxious.
Alwaysdreamin
I believe it depends. If the situation is making you panic, then you could possibly avoid it for a time, in my opinion, until you are able to take some time to get well, practice strategies for your anxiety, and use self-care. It is also important to get back to you life soon when you are ready and so that you are not adding to the anxiety. You are here to live you life, but you also deserve a break to get well. It also depends on if the anxiety is interfering with your daily life. If so, you may want to possibly consider talking to a professional or a doctor, but this is your choice. I am not giving medical advice, however, I wish you the best in getting better. You can do this. I know it. I wish you happiness.
ThatManKevin
October 22nd, 2014 12:57am
this refers to the flight or fight plan, flight, meaning you get away from the situation. fight being you stand and face your fears. If you are trying your best to avoid the situation this problem will continue to haunt you unless you allow that problem in and let it abuse you mentally
Yida
It is okay to avoid situations, if they cause you to feel uncomfortable, and you know that they will cause panic attacks really rapidly, however, holding these situations away from you not overcome them, and can actually create more anxiety about that situation in the future.
Helper6754
yes it is okay it just means you are not ready to deal with the situation yet and might not ever be but sometimes you can't avoid it
ImperfectlyPerfect
Sometimes, avoiding situations whilst coming to terms with anxiety is ideal. You need to find ways to cope. Once you are coping, anxious situations will help you to overcome the anxiety.
DancerInCali
It can be okay, and not okay at the same time. If the situations that are making you anxious are a recurring thing, it might be a better choice to confront it and figure out how and why this is making you anxious. If it is a situation that you know for a fact cannot change and something you would rather not deal with, it can be okay to avoid the situation altogether if that would make you feel more comfortable and safe.
Mayaisthename
It's never a bad if you feel it's right, but maybe theres more to it, which you should look into
Anonymous
That's totally fine! If you don't feel comfortable doing something you shouldn't do it. It's your body and you have to take care of it. You know if you want to do something and you know if you don't. So if you avoid certain kind of situations that totally fine.
TheCreator
I don't think it's giving up to it. The best solution is to avoid it. I know that many people say "face your fear to get over it" that's NOT TRUE in all situation. Anxiety is a serious thing and it might lead to worse problems so avoid it in order to not ruin your day. Stay Awesome.
Anonymous
It is completely okay to avoid situations that make you anxious. Please don't think that means you're giving up to it. Anxiety is a really hard feeling to deal with and avoiding it is the most effective way of doing so.
heyitssaf
If there are certain triggers you know of, and there is no reason to expose yourself to them, then why should you? In my life there is a road, and on this road live lots of people that I spent almost all of the first 20 years of my life with. They were family friends and neighbors that became family friends. They are bad people, who did disgusting things to me and many of my friends. I do not drive down this road. I have no reason to. However, sometimes I get anxious doing average things like going to the grocery store for fear of running into these people. This is something I know I must overcome.
Anonymous
Avoiding situations wont help you overcome them. Take a step forward like you were to do if you overcome a fear. If you begin to feel like you can not do it, try think positive. But if you start to feel like you can't breathe or dizzy or how you feel with an anxiety attack, take a step back, listen to calm music, breathe slowly and understand your surroundings. Try not avoid things because you wont get better. Face your fears, you can do it!! :D
MsMarieMac
For me, avoiding situations makes your anxiety worse in the long run. It is better to stick it out.
Anonymous
I honestly would say yes, but I am simply here only to guide you through. You are the expert on you. What do you think is best?
Doc3Mar
I believe facing them helps to realize the situation and makes you that much stronger for next time.
NoNeedToFearHayleyIsHere
It's ok to avoid situations that make you anxious, but eventually you will have to face them and try to get over your anxiety.
Saraahh
November 1st, 2014 8:19am
In some situations where you are feeling very overwhelmed and avoiding the situation will not make a major change in your life, it might be acceptable. But running away from your fears is not okay, you have to be in situations that make you anxious and be stronger than anxiety.