Is it possible for someone with anxiety disorder to have never experienced a panic attack?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

Anonymous
Certainly possible! It depends on what you would define as a panic attack as well. Personally, I have never experienced a panic attack that I could not breathe or was shaking and rocking. However, I have sweated profusely, had light shakes within my fingers and hands, felt overwhelming fear, and was nauseous. Typically, that is not what my mind would usually correlate with a panic attack. But, they are in fact symptoms of them. Even if you do not experience those, it is still possible to have anxiety without ever experiencing a panic attack. Anxiety on its own is challenging to deal with and I am sorry that you have to. Be proud of yourself for reaching out :)
Anonymous
It is possible because we take our anxiety disorders differently. Some may have panic attacks, the others really get nervous and can't stop worrying. But still you need to be careful because you may get one someday.
Melody293
It's very possible for someone with an anxiety disorder to never experience a panic attack. Symptoms of anxiety manifest differently in different people. An person's anxiety is no less real because they don't experience panic attacks.
elliotjay123
Yes. You can have many physical symptoms of anxiety without ever having a panic attack. Often, many people with a social anxiety disorder will never experience a panic attack. Some of us with anxiety, if we every have panic attacks, they might only crop up once a year but others can have them nearly every single day. It varies on the spectrum for different people, as anxiety feels different in each individual one of us.
PrincessDove13
Yes, I do believe so. Anxiety attacks are similar to panic attacks, but they do have their differences.
Lauren1035
Absolutely! Symptoms of anxiety are different for everyone and can be bought on by different circumstances. Common symptoms can include feeling anxious or uncomfortable, a feeling of needing to escape, freezing, having mental blanks, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, dizziness, chest pains ect. There is some useful information on this sight in regards to anxiety under self help guides. I hope this information has helped :)
Anonymous
Absolutely! Some feel anxiety different and more intensely than others. Just because you have not experienced a full blown panic attack doesn't mean you dont have anxiety disorder and experience anxeity
Kate
Yes! Panic disorder (which is characterized by panic attacks) is just one kind of anxiety disorder. You can have generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, phobia, etc. Having a panic attack is not a required symptoms to be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.
Anonymous
Yes, this is possible. Panic attacks can be a very painful factor of anxiety disorders, but whether or not a person gets one depends on themselves and their own specific situation. Everyone handles things differently, and so anxiety manifests itself differently in every person suffering from it.
Anonymous
Yes. I have GAD, and I have never experienced a full blown panic attack. Instead, I get fidgety, really irritable, and I have trouble focusing on tasks. I try to take some time to meditate and focus on my breathing to help.
Fiercelyalive
Yes, it is possible for someone with anxiety disorder to have never experienced a panic attack. It is because anxiety disorders include generalized anxiety disorder, specific phobias, PTSD, OCD, panic disorder etc. Each type includes varying/overlapping symptoms and fall under a single category known as anxiety disorder. Besides, not everyone experiences anxiety the same way, it differs from person to person.
RewindTheClock
In short yes. Anxiety is not always a package deal. You could just get the nerves or the anxiety. Or you could find yourself with rapid heart rate and sweating.
sunshineBreeze69
Yes, because everyone has different types of anxiety. It works differently for everyone.............
luminousSky96
Yes. Anxiety disorder can look like lots of different things. People might feel dizzy, have a pounding heart or feel like they want to run away, but they might never have labeled this as a panic attack.
Anonymous
Yes, it is always possible. Anyone can have a panic attack, you don't need anxiety to have it. It also doesn't *have to* mean you have an anxiety disorder, sometimes panic attacks just happen to healthy individuals. :)
Anonymous
Yes, not all people with anxiety disorders experience full-blown panic attacks. It would be necessary to diagnose Panic Disorder but not every kind of anxiety disorder involves panic attacks.
Anonymous
I believe so, maybe its just starting or sometimes they haven't been triggered enough to experience a panic attack. you can feel the symptoms, the pressure, the overall anxiety without an official attack.