Is there an actual cure for anxiety?

Graham Barrone, Adip ICHP, MCBT

If you've found that your quality of life has reduced because of anxiety, fear or some kind of mental hurdle that you just can't get over then lets chat.

toFindPeace89
No and yes. There is no magical elixir or quick fix for anxiety. Overcoming anxiety is a process, and the process is different for everyone. An individuals process is dependent on their own neural network and patterns, as no one's is exactly alike. Frequent to habitual anxiety is the result years of strengthening specific neural pathways. Just like learning, the more you study, the more you strengthen the neural pathway to that knowledge. The stronger the pathway, the easier that information is to retrieve when you want it. Our brain responds to situations in the way that is easiest. So, the more you worry now, the more you will continue to worry in the future. In order to overcome anxiety, one must begin to practice mindfulness, which can be extremely challenging at first. You have to create NEW neural pathways. Once the new pathway is just as strong as the old, overcoming anxiety will start to seem easier. Steering yourself toward positive thinking, even then though, will not be automatic. It will still require effort. I cannot say that the original negative worry pathway will ever diminish, as I think that will always be the initial automatic response. But with mindfulness, you can choose in that moment to redirect your thinking.
LouisaCT
No, there is no set "cure" for anxiety. There are management strategies - coping skills - but no "cure" in the sense of medical solution. Since anxiety is a naturally occurring emotion that can be helpful the medical staff is not looking for a "cure." I know when you feel severe anxiety it feels like it shouldn't exist, like it's horrible, but there are uses and reasons we experience anxiety that are needed for us to function. For example, if you have anxiety over a test you need to study for it's usually a feeling to motivate you into studying, to help alleviate the anxiety. The problem comes in when we don't know how to manage the anxiety to keep it within a reasonable healthy level. This is where the use of coping skills like grounding, breathing, and meditation helps - as well as potential medications. The intent of medications is not to eliminate anxiety, but rather reduce anxiety, because it is a very positive emotion that's vital to our survival!
EmberT
You can try meds and some relaxtion methods, but there are no magical cures and it's a long process, since you have to learn to think in a different way. You can pm me if you want to talk about it.
KatHellsing
There are medication and and techniques to help it, but I'm not sure if there is an actual cure for it. Even with medication and techniques, everybody is different, so what works on one person, might not work for another.
Korlix44
No, their is no actual cure for anxiety. This is because anxiety can be healthy for us. If we have no anxiety about running into traffic we might do it. But what we can do is learn to process and cope with situations that make us anxious better
AriM
There is not really a cure. There is medication to suppress the anxiety but you have to stop with the medication someday. There are different kinds of therapy to help you live with it and sometimes people actually ''lose''their anxiety.
Bellerina
I think that it is possible for anyone to overcome anxiety if they really want to. The path to this, however, is different for everyone. There is no single definitive 'cure' that works for all people with anxiety. You need to first become self aware by recognising what triggers your anxiety and to be able to identify when you are feeling anxious. For me personally, recognising that I am feeling anxiety in itself helps me to overcome it. Next, you need to learn what methods work for you. Some people like to exercise, for example. I love to draw and spend time with my friends. Everyone's path is unique, you just need to find yours.
ghostPastry
No. But there are coping mechanisms and ways to handle your anxiety. There are also pills that can be prescribed to manage anxiety, but only for as long as you're taking them.
Anonymous
No there is not an actual cure, which includes medicines, herbal remedies etc. Those just treat the symptoms however you can overcome anxiety by understanding what things work for you
Anonymous
There is no cure for anxiety. It can be controlled through meds and breathing but there will never be a cure. Some of us are just more prone to having it than others.
ScreenNamesAreHardToChoose
Unfortunately not. There are treatments that can work wonders and make it go away by 99.99999%, but there's always that sliver of chance that it could come back. You should start looking into different treatments and see which one(s) work(s) best for you.
glowingpeace18339
Unfortunately, no. There are many things you can do to minimize anxiety, like prescribed medication, coping skills, and therapy. But there is no ultimate cure for anxiety
Diiviiniity
I don't believe there is a cure, but there are various techniques to help you calm the anxiousness.
imperfectperfection0
No, unfortunately. But there are a whole lot of good positive ways we can cope with anxiety. Here are a 3 that i find most helpful: Breathing techniques, positive thinking, and positive daily reminders.
Anonymous
I believe that anxiety can be reduced massively but not cured. Life is very stressful so its normal for you to be anxious from time to time. You just have to work on how you deal with your problems and face them
caringBubbles7
Yes, at least that is in my point of view, sharing, if you share with people who can really get through to you, you might get less anxious
NaturalScience
Since anxiety is not a disease, no. There are anxiety disorders that ARE diseases, and there are many techniques to treat them. Exercise, diet, therapy, and in some cases medicine are all used to combat anxiety. We can only "cure" something can be understood pathologically, because otherwise we might just be masking symptoms, or worse, treating something like a disease that isn't a disease at all! For example, if you feel anxiety over taking a test, the cure is basically just to get through the experience, learn that you are OK, and continue that process until the anxiety is dispelled. If you suffer from anxiety enough for it to be disruptive to your life or health, then you might want to find out if you have an anxiety disorder (or some other underlying problem that is causing that anxiety). So, the short answer is, yes and no.
Birdabo
I think that there's a journey that you need to go on to overcome anxiety, and this is okay! Everyone is on their own journey and some may never find the answer their looking for but they might find better ways with dealing with anxiety with the help and support of friends and family.
Anonymous
I don't think there's so much as "a" cure, as each person is different. You can have therapy though, that can be very useful. But there's no such thing as one actual cure for anxiety, it differs per person.
CalmWhisper85
Yes, keeping the mind calm through yoga, meditation, tai Chi and other relaxation techniques. It's all in the mind.
YellowSunshine14
April 2nd, 2018 10:08am
I myself have anxiety and have wondered this too. I don't think there is such a thing as curing anxiety as such, but you can make it a lot more manageable with therapy and medicine if needed.
SweetDiamondHeart
findind love and finding ppl that love u the way you are~ just being aound ppl that love u for u who u are ~ they just give u the strenght to be urself and face ur fears because at the end they showed u that thy will be beside u no matter what happens. so yep in my opinion love,care and acceptance are the cure to many things not only anxiety
Anonymous
Sadly there is not a complete cure for anxiety but there are many ways to get help! This can include getting started with seeing a therapist or someone to talk to who can help you find ways to make things better or calm yourself down when you are having a breakdown (i.e. breathing exercises). And on the topic of medicine. Medicine does not cure you completely but it puts you in a state of mind where you can help yourself instead of letting it consume you like anxiety can tend to do. I hope this helps! Stay safe and know that you are loved!
Anonymous
There could be a cure to anxiety if you take it as part of your life. It may come and go but if you accept it and deal with it. It will stop bothering you and make you a stronger person. I think you need to find out what caused it. That is the best way to deal with it. Anxiety could be just an idea that someone else plant in our mind. It could be a bad experience. It could be a strong feeling. Face it. Deal with it in a way that suits. Give it time. It will pass.