My mind is always racing with thoughts. What should I do?

Greece

Johanna Liasides, MSc

I work with youth and young adults to help them improve depressive symptoms and self-esteem as well as effectively address family, relationship and peer conflicts.

KindVision3
You canĀ“t not think, but what I would do is try some relaxing exercises or maybe just do something i enjoy.
Porong
What you have to do first is to keep calm and try to focus on what you're currently doing at the moment. Deep breaths would help.
CaringJoy
Try to find some healthy distractions and if that doesn't help you can try meditation and mindful exercises.
silentbeauty98
Always remember that our mind can be a terrible master and a very obedient servant, it depends on how strong we keep our will power and have our mind under our control and not the other way round. Since ancient times man has tried to gain control over his mind and the result we have is meditation and mindfulness. The 7 cups self help guide is a great tool to start with mindfulness and meditation practice which would surely help in calming our racing thoughts. :)
dancingOcean
Having your mind feel like it's racing can feel uncomfortable ...and even scary....but there are some things you can do to slow that down and feel like you're in better control of them. Would you like to hear a few ways to help that when it happens?
Anonymous
Try some breathing exercises. They always help. Focus on your breathing, and try to breathe more slowly.
Freebirdie
Let ir race. Think of it as a plus point. If it hinders your day to day life then meditation might help. Also try to keep yourself busy with some activities not realted to other people and including only you. Try to practice some control over your brain and try to work with it instead of working against it
Anonymous
I should panic until I can't breathe then be on the other hand and feel bombarded with strength hats.
Anonymous
What I ussually do,is to have some special phrase, sentence, paragraph or quote that makes me feel happy. Everytime my mind is like that, I say those words (mine is a little story) like a mantra. They usually calm me down. I hope it helps! :)
Blink182andNirvana
I would suggest yoga. I have been doing it for several weeks now in a class and in my dorm.It is a beautiful way to calm your thoughts and soul. You can learn from youtube videos.
enjoyiableLight51
You should bring pen and paper and arrange your ideas and opportunities and when and negative idea get in your mid to must get rid of this immediately by making something you love to do
Anonymous
Write it down. See what are the things that are bothering you and what are the things that are troubling you.
gentleSunset73
February 21st, 2016 4:13pm
I experience this all the time. Try taking a bath or being with people that make you calm. Maybe get a new hobby (a sport, cooking class, art classes.) that should take your mind off things.
pleasinglyPoetic
First thing's first: take a deep breath! Find a place where you can relax. By quieting ourselves, we can quiet our minds. Next, have you had any caffeine today? Caffeine and other stimulants can induce these sorts of anxious periods, and limiting your intake of them may help. If the problem persists, consider speaking to your primary care physician, as this may be a sign of an anxiety disorder.
Unicornsparkles94
When these thought come into your head imagine that your brain is a boxing glove punching all the negative away, breathe deeply, listen to some relaxing music
serenePerspective29
Take a deep breath in try clearing your head then out. And repeat until you feel calm again. Listen to some music
yatish
Meditation is a way. take 10 deep breaths. after that close your eyes and focus of your normal breathing. watch the breaths going inside and going out. do it for 15 minutes.
purplesunny98
Deep breathing is very helpful for me. I breath in for 3 counts (count to three) and then you hold your breath for 3 counts (count to three) and then you breath out for 6 counts (count to six). Hope this helps!
Vaux
You should try to stop yourself by telling yourself to "STOP". Then you should distract yourself from whatever you are thinking.
Sam177
Try to write down your thoughts in a journal. You may have a reason it's racing and seeing everything on paper in front of you might help you figure out what the cause of it is.
AnnieWizz
Do not try to judge or to block off the thoughts just try a "mindfulness" approach. Be aware of your thoughts with objectivity and curiosity. Let them float in and out. Also try a breathing technique whereby you focus solely on your breath coming in and out for a few minutes. Can be calming when done on a regular basis. Do not deny your thoughts as thinking is a natural process.. by denying thoughts you instantly put yourself in a negative "self-punishing" frame of mind.
someoneoutthereblr
Practice meditation. There are some guided meditations on 7cups and on Youtube... Hopefuly those help.
blanket7
March 2nd, 2016 1:44pm
Try and calm down and meditate. You can try to watch something funny and entertain yourself to slow down these racing thoughts.
GentleSoul13
March 2nd, 2016 7:31pm
Take a moment for yourself to clear your mind. By closing your eyes and listening to calming music, or even having a bath with a tea in hand can be a relaxing way to try and clear your mind and not have a reason to think about the racing thoughts at that very moment. Also reading a book could be a good way to have your mind filled with a different imagination that calms your mind for a while.
YellowCurtains1
There are two things that I instantly thought of when I saw this question so I'll share them. First thing is mediation, from my experience it has been one of the most helpful thins I've tried, all you need is ten minutes, you can download free meditation apps or even use the exercises here on 7 cups. The second thing is journalling, after a tough day it always helps me to just sit down write out how I'm feeling, this doesn't work for everyone but it might work for you. Nobody has to read it, you don't even have to read it after it's written, just write.
Leah2016
Take a step back and breathe and think whats the worst that can happen accept its happening and keep yourself occupied to relieve yourself of all this thinking
alxmia
Try yoga, you concentrate on your breathing as this will help you deepen your stretches and relax your mind and body. Also meditation where you focus your mind on one thing, you can light a candle and concentrate on it.
Anonymous
Meditate. It's the best way to keep your mind calm. Focus on breathing exercises as it helps you to concentrate on a single point.
JayJules
Sit in a calm, relaxing place and focus on your breathing and try to let your mind go blank. This will help your mind to relax.
Anonymous
You should try to meditate, every time when your mind is racing with thoughts just sit down and breath in and out, eventually you'll calm down and your mind will as well.