My mind is always racing with thoughts. What should I do?

Greece

Johanna Liasides, MSc

I work with youth and young adults to help them improve depressive symptoms and self-esteem as well as effectively address family, relationship and peer conflicts.

zaix
Try calming yourself down, Meditate, do some yoga, listen to some calming music or do something fun, that you don't need to think about.
Anonymous
Majority of people ,who suffer from mental illnesses in particular ..get to have their thoughts running in their heads that can get uncontrollable and persistent , specially before sleeping..These uncontrollable unpleasant thoughts are called " Thought loops " that continues running from a point and then getting back to that point like a cycle...Trying to listen to music , or reading a book , watching something , can decrease the thoughts , or just speaking with someone at these moments can help...And If the " Thought loop " occurred specifically before sleeping , getting up and doing something else would help , and after a short amount of time getting to sleep might work..
Caed
Sometimes writing all your thoughts down in a journal helps to slow down all the thoughts in your head. Next time you feel your thoughts racing, find a quiet place, take a few, deep breaths, and write it all down. Then, you can reflect more easily on what you've been thinking about.
bluetriangle
For immediate, short-term relief try a breathing exercise like square breathing. For long-term relief try building a daily mindfulness meditation practice. With regular practice it has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
Anonymous
Mind is always going to be racing with thoughts, its designed that way, what we can do is clear the thoughts, focus more on positive, kind, productive thoughts to overcome untoward situations, that way you won't feel the mind is stressed, you'd be rather surprised how beautiful the mind is!!
Skygivesyoulight
Talk to someone who I feel comfortable talking to. Someone who can understand me and how I feel. Get everything that's bothering me off my mind.
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 11:11am
You can try yoga! Or take a deep breath, think of what exactly that is filling your brain, and figure out how to calm yourself down!
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 12:15pm
My mind also races a lot. Especially when I want to sleep. So I created a place in my mind that I go to when I want to sleep. It's a bit like meditation. I visualise myself falling through my bed and layers of clouds and then landing in this place I created. Usually I fall asleep before I can even start exploring the place. Just meditate. It helps.
Bubbyduckie
Write them down if you really want to see them clearly. It will help you see everything that you're thinking, and it can really help you understand what you're thinking
Anonymous
Well, they always say that you should distract yourself. Find something that will derive you from your deep thoughts. But remember, distracting is not permanent. I think it's just a way for us to cope uo with it. I think it would be better if we just let it happen. Perhaps, embrace these thoughts? Write it out. Paint it. Sing it. Dance it. Nurture it until you realized you just made a garden.
GratefulSpring
I have found that taking time out of one's day to release one's mind of all thoughts through activities such as meditation or exercise helps a person to clear one's mind. Alternatively, keeping oneself busy can help the mind focus on the activity at hand instead of whatever is flowing through one's mind.
SingingPhoenix
Anxiety is not something you are born with. It is something that develops in life as things occur in your life.
MajesticTurtle
Let those thoughts be free, let ideas free. Don't hold them back, let go and just think. It is very easy
Anonymous
If your mind is racing with thoughts, and seems like it will never stop thinking, first take some deep breaths. For me, my thoughts go crazy every night I try to sleep. Sometimes I drink some water, other times I go for a walk, or I message a friend and rant. Any of those things are good distractions. You could also put headphones in and listen to music. Any possible distraction would be great.
nlpinspiration
It is in the nature of human beings. Just you try to find a good way to relax yourself and practice some mental activities such meditation, yoga, pray....This will change the way of your thinking and ultimately your whole life
Anonymous
Try to place those thoughts to mental piles, like good and bad. That way you could manage one side and make sure you're good thoughts always have your mind racing with them all day!
FarahFaith66
Thinking is good. But make sure that the thoughts are positive in your mind. It will help both your self- development and abilities.
Anonymous
Try not to panic so easily. Have faith in yourself to know that you have the power to calm yourself down and to understand why you're feeling this way.
justagirlfromgermany
You should try relaxing exercises to let your mind stop racing,you can find some online by google them
thisrideisawildone
Be mindful of these thoughts, don't just let them brush past without acknowledging them. It's okay to have a mind full of thoughts, but recognising what these thoughts are and potentially why you having them may be the first step. Write these thoughts down on a piece of paper, talk these thoughts through with a friend of family member - or even a professional if you are able to access this help. Finding correlations between the thoughts and recognising that these thoughts are there and that it's okay to have them is important.
ConnorO
Write them down on a piece of notebook paper and then shred it to give your brain closure. This symbolizes to your unconsious mind that you don't want to think about it anymore.
Jadhar
April 22nd, 2016 1:22am
Take 10-20 minutes to write down all the thoughts that occur to you on a piece of paper. Knowing that the thoughts are mostly recorded, and can be revisited, can help put your mind at ease.
Varee
April 22nd, 2016 11:40am
Start by breathing slowly into your stomach. Then breathe out just as slowly. Do that 10-20 times. That will help you feel more calm. Grab a journal/notebook/piece of paper and start writing. It doesn't matter what you right, just let out whatever's going on in your head. You don't have to show it to anyone or even read it yourself, the point of writing is to help your head relax and slow down.
Spfee
This is my general protocol, maybe it will help you out. :) First thing first - Don't beat yourself up for thinking a bunch. You're probably upset about some part of it, and your brain is trying to help - even if it's not really helping right now. Breathe. Gather your strength. Do whatever relaxation methods you've found most helpful. If you have trouble relaxing, try and find some time to practice. Distraction has it's place, but remember, distraction isn't going to help you cope long-term. Write down all the thoughts - just a short sentence for each one. Then look at them. What's in the past? What's in the future? Are some of these simply judgements about yourself and others? Try and identify what the *now* problems are, what you *can* actually do about them. Still stuck ?Schedule some time to think about things more deeply, for a set amount of time when you're more rested and capable of dealing with things. Get some exercise, even just stretch, have a shower, connect with somebody who has time to listen. 7cups is a good place for that. :)
Lipejohereforyou
Breath in for 4 seconds, then hold your breath for five seconds, then breath out for 7 seconds and repeat at least 10 times. You relax your breath this way and you'll be so busy thinking about breathing that your mind calms down as well. Works for me everytime!
quietlyReading31
Think of a song that you like that is pretty upbeat. Sing it out loud or in your head to help you focus on the lyrics of the song instead of the thoughts that are racing in your mind. In my experience it helps to sing aloud because then your mind has a more difficult time wandering than if you think the lyrics to yourself.
peacefulIris56
Sit down and take some deep breaths. Or you could distract yourself by listening to music or watching tv or talking to a friend or family member. Or you could reason with yourself and tell yourself how much happier you would be if you didn't have those racing thoughts. Then you will be less inclined to keep them racing. If that doesn't help, then you need to see a therapist and they will get you in the right direction.
justanotherteenhelping
just relax. clear your mind, think about happy times or go to a happy place, don't stress at all!!!
Okaytobeshu
Try to sort through them calmly if this does't help contact ahead doctor or specialist in Philosiphy/therapy
lonestar87
Try writing all these thoughts down on paper and come up with solutions. You will find some of them don't really matter. Also try taking some time to do peaceful activities in. Listen to music, take a walk, meditate