Things are going so well. Why do I feel like everything is just going to fall apart soon after?

Danielle Gonzales, PsyD

Hello! My name is Dani, I am a Psychologist and registered Psych Assistant. I have a passion for helping a different types of clients from all diverse backgrounds!

swiftyanswers
Sometimes, when we have experienced pain and hardship, it can be difficult to believe that good things can happen, and when they happen, that they can last. Because you've been in a dark place, you feel like the light might go out at any time. It's not going to. You are the one who controls the light switch.
HelpfulVision
I think that almost everyone feels that way, after success or feeling like things are falling into place comes a fear that things will once again fall apart. I don't think that it is out of the ordinary to feel that way at all. Just try to keep in mind that life has cycles sometimes the tide comes in and then out again but there will always be change and movement. Staying balanced within yourself and your center is the key to overcoming both the in tide and the out tide.
leahlistens2
When life is feeling great and it's something you're not use to, it can bring a sense of worry like you're living the calm before the storm. But, once we learn to live in the moment that sense will go away, and make this positive time more likely to stay.
GentleStrength
MandaGPanda
A common thing to think when you feel happy is about how it might not last. It feels like the anxiety and depression are lurking in the background waiting to pounce. The important thing to remember is that you made it through the storm before and you can make it through again. Each time you go through the storm, you come out stronger than when you went in.
LaurenPHL
I think it is only natural that human beings cycle in their lives between good times and bad. Our emotions are never mutually exclusive and very rarely are they not complex. There will always be harder times than now, but there will also always be better times than today. Remember that.
PeaceForYou
It sounds like you may have anxiety or depression and unfortunately these are some of the things that tend to come with mental illnesses of this sort.
PashT007
Sometimes we fear the unknown. Embrace where you are and take things day by day. I'm sure you'll be great at whatever is ahead.
Boom0Katz
You may be experiencing anxiety. It is very common to be feeling like things are going to fail. You may just need to take a moment to remind yourself that everything will turn out okay in the end. Keeping a positive mindset is a good step to overcoming anxiety.
Anonymous
It absolutely normal. I feel that way a lot, we tend to worry more about our future than any other time because we really don't know what will happen and what is going to come
JoanMcWench721
It's a general fear we all have. It's not specific to anyone. It's being human. Our concern is things will all go awry
Soldiersinthestorm1
Sometimes if things are going well there might be a fear of losing what you have, maybe because of past experiences.
Rajnin
if you've had this happen in the past it can effect your thinking and cause problems if you can't correct your thinking.
Franciaro75
I’m so scared about it, every time things going well and happy soon I think that something bad happens to that, if I say I didn’t get fined this year booom fine comes, if I say my son calmed down and hope that never going to do anything stupid booom happens, everything around me soon I think positive comes negative, every month something happens, I’m getting tired, worrying that this neve gonna stop, being 20 years like that, I started even thinking that I’m the bad luck in family because of this thinking positive and turns negative, pleas help
arthritisfighter
This is a common thing people do when things in life are going well. Focus on the good things that are happening in your life.
Anonymous
Because you have reason to think that it will all fall apart soon after. Or because you fear it happening.
You might be holding on to a trauma that happened in the past that caused the feeling. Try talking to a counselor/therapist and figure out where the source of the problem is coming from.
Anonymous
we always have that thought that whenever everything is going well, something bad is going to happen. it isn't always the case. i guess it's a matter of perspective. is something really going to go wrong? they say that we have to experience downfalls to appreciate the better days. that's okay.