Things are going so well. Why do I feel like everything is just going to fall apart soon after?

Danielle Gonzales, PsyD

Hello! My name is Dani, I am a Psychologist and registered Psych Assistant. I have a passion for helping a different types of clients from all diverse backgrounds!

swiftyanswers
Sometimes, when we have experienced pain and hardship, it can be difficult to believe that good things can happen, and when they happen, that they can last. Because you've been in a dark place, you feel like the light might go out at any time. It's not going to. You are the one who controls the light switch.
HelpfulVision
I think that almost everyone feels that way, after success or feeling like things are falling into place comes a fear that things will once again fall apart. I don't think that it is out of the ordinary to feel that way at all. Just try to keep in mind that life has cycles sometimes the tide comes in and then out again but there will always be change and movement. Staying balanced within yourself and your center is the key to overcoming both the in tide and the out tide.
leahlistens2
When life is feeling great and it's something you're not use to, it can bring a sense of worry like you're living the calm before the storm. But, once we learn to live in the moment that sense will go away, and make this positive time more likely to stay.
GentleStrength
PeaceForYou
It sounds like you may have anxiety or depression and unfortunately these are some of the things that tend to come with mental illnesses of this sort.
LaurenPHL
I think it is only natural that human beings cycle in their lives between good times and bad. Our emotions are never mutually exclusive and very rarely are they not complex. There will always be harder times than now, but there will also always be better times than today. Remember that.
PashT007
Sometimes we fear the unknown. Embrace where you are and take things day by day. I'm sure you'll be great at whatever is ahead.
MandaGPanda
A common thing to think when you feel happy is about how it might not last. It feels like the anxiety and depression are lurking in the background waiting to pounce. The important thing to remember is that you made it through the storm before and you can make it through again. Each time you go through the storm, you come out stronger than when you went in.
Franciaro75
I’m so scared about it, every time things going well and happy soon I think that something bad happens to that, if I say I didn’t get fined this year booom fine comes, if I say my son calmed down and hope that never going to do anything stupid booom happens, everything around me soon I think positive comes negative, every month something happens, I’m getting tired, worrying that this neve gonna stop, being 20 years like that, I started even thinking that I’m the bad luck in family because of this thinking positive and turns negative, pleas help
Anonymous
It absolutely normal. I feel that way a lot, we tend to worry more about our future than any other time because we really don't know what will happen and what is going to come
Boom0Katz
You may be experiencing anxiety. It is very common to be feeling like things are going to fail. You may just need to take a moment to remind yourself that everything will turn out okay in the end. Keeping a positive mindset is a good step to overcoming anxiety.
Soldiersinthestorm1
Sometimes if things are going well there might be a fear of losing what you have, maybe because of past experiences.
JoanMcWench721
It's a general fear we all have. It's not specific to anyone. It's being human. Our concern is things will all go awry
Rajnin
if you've had this happen in the past it can effect your thinking and cause problems if you can't correct your thinking.
Anonymous
we always have that thought that whenever everything is going well, something bad is going to happen. it isn't always the case. i guess it's a matter of perspective. is something really going to go wrong? they say that we have to experience downfalls to appreciate the better days. that's okay.
miraculousSalamander80
you are not used to things going so well, it feels like its not possible for life to keep being good. Or you have felt this way before, like everything is amazing but it has all come crashing down and now you don't trust any good thing because you don't want to feel disappointed. Sometimes the only way to get out of this trap is to realise that happiness is not something that people should feel all the time, but rather it is a feeling that blossoms out of specific meaningful moments. It's ok to feel down sometimes and happy other times. It is all due to perspective.
arthritisfighter
This is a common thing people do when things in life are going well. Focus on the good things that are happening in your life.
Anonymous
Because you have reason to think that it will all fall apart soon after. Or because you fear it happening.
You might be holding on to a trauma that happened in the past that caused the feeling. Try talking to a counselor/therapist and figure out where the source of the problem is coming from.
ctroya
Can you tell me about the things in your life that are going well. Have you had many experiences where things went well and then fell apart? Can you tell me about some of those experiences? What about experiences that did not end up falling apart and things continued to do well, can you tell me about those times. For me I am always trying to find the good in situations, even if they have some bad in them, that way I am able to see that situations can many times have more good associated with them, than bad.
Laks1
I’m sorry that you feel this way. It is totally understandable to feel this way, but the more we encourage fear and negative thoughts, the more likely we will allow them to happen unconsciously through our actions and choices. It is alright to have good things happening to you without any of it falling apart, you deserve that. The universe is not meant to break us.
The first thing you can do when your brain begins to process such anxious thoughts is to do some deep breathing for a few minutes. Sometimes, the little things can help ground us. It is also really great to spend much time with long time best friends, we are comfortable enough to express ourselves. Speaking up is the first step to fixing our problems. You know what’s better? They might have a story or experience in a similar situation and will know just how to support you. This gives us opportunities to problem solve together. Their comments could prove to be very helpful. Hanging out with friends we have amazing relationships with really keeps our minds busy and our hearts, joyful and content. The last thing is to seek professional help when the thoughts are overwhelming and beyond your control.
Take it a day at a time, read a book, drink enough water and eat well, care for your body and health. Enjoy the very little and beautiful things around you and document them in your journal while you note down plans, ideas and even a bucket list to keep your energy up. Make your world whatever you want it to be.