What are alternative ways besides medication to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

flashbangwallop
Mindfullness practises! Colouring, meditation, yoga are all example of ways to help reduce symptoms of anxiety without the use of medication.
Anonymous
You can listen to music that calms you and you need to try and control your breathing. Maybe take a long warm bath because I have noticed they calm me down
Anonymous
Record the cause and feeling of anxiety.. Review it.. Replace it with alternative thought .. What ever the cause is try to overcome it by tackling it.. Try meditation. Relaxation techniques. :)
kerkyra
Breathing excersises can help. What I do is I bring in for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds then breath out for 8 and repeat until I calm down.
Anonymous
Meditation helps with a lot of people however not with everyone. This can help with your breathing during a panic attack and calming yourself down naturally :)
Anonymous
Anxiety can be tricky. I find therapy whether it is group or individual can be very beneficial, on top of therapy I find keeping a planner helps me to feel on top of my day to life and less nervous about the days to come. For me I journal for an hour at a time. Whether I'm writing short stories or poems or simply expressing my thoughts
Supergirl94
Positive thinking, writing a journal about all of your thoughts, emotions, anxiety moments, why you feel anxious, your overthinking, venting. Listen to music, practice breathing in and out, try to analyze what triggers you, assess why you feel anxious and figure out ways to help yourself feel better. Find scents and colors you love and have them with you or around your house, your car. When you have an anxiety attack, find various things you can see, smell, touch, hear to ground yourself. Talk to people about your anxiety.
Anonymous
Distract yourself with hobbies or something that takes your attention away from it. Do relaxation exercises (count to ten, breath in, count backwards from ten, breathe out). Think happy thoughts.
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
Personally the I have found that pets are the most helpful in dealing with anxiety. When I am feeling really anxious I cuddle with my cat, she is my official emotional support animal, and she lowers my heart rate more then anything else!
calmingHestia91
I have found that medication doesn't work for me or is too expensive to obtain. I prefer to listen to music that I like (classical or hard rock, whatever you feel comforts you), perhaps try meditating if you can focus, and watching feel good movies.
DarkSideoftheRainbow
Some people turn to holistic methods such as meditation and yoga, but any kind of exercise or hobby can be constructive.
Anonymous
Call someone. Drink really cold water. Talk to the person next to you. About anything at all; this especially works if you get anxiety in checkout lines. .
Support4All
Personally, I turn on either my favorite music or relaxing classical music and take slow, deep breaths. Also I talk it out with my friends and people here on 7 Cups!
lovingLynx89
Educate yourself about the problem, seek professional help to learn specific techniques that have helped other in your situation.
RainbowTrie
Taking a break to get away from the cause of anxiety is a great first step. While on your break, try deep breathing exercises and/or mindfulness meditation. Your 7cups Path and feed should have some good tools.
CalmingBreeze16
An excellent and very easy activity is Diaphragmatic Breathing. When you take a deep breath, make sure your belly expands, not your chest. Slowly breath in, hold for 5 seconds, then slowly let it out. Do this for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. You also may want to say to yourself "Calm" or Focus on the Breath to help focus your mind awY from the anxiety feelings. The well proven science behind this is that the slow breathing from the diaphragmatic fills the lungs fully while allowing for an increase in the build up of carbondioxide. The xarbondioxide activates the parasympathetic nervous system which helps calm the body
usefulDreamer13
One way I deal with anxiety without medicine is meditation. It helps me clear my head and not think about things I might have messed up on.
Bristar
There are several ways to ease anxiety without taking medication, Exercise burns stress hormones which contributes to feeling anxious. Changes in your diet can help. Cut back on (or eliminate) sugar. Big fluctuations in blood sugar causes your system to stress out. . Keep your energy tank as full as possible. Rest and not skipping meals helps with that. Mediation works well. It settles your mind.
Anonymous
When I begin to feel anxious, it helps to stop whatever I am doing and breathe. Listen to music, especially moody music, music that will help you feel whatever emotions may be buried behind or with your anxiety. I also find that writing out my thoughts and worries, or even just talking about my day in a journal can help me curb some of the more debilitating aspects of anxiety.
FrenchThea
There is a lot of exercise you can found on the internet, and doing things like Yoga and Painting can never hurt.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2016 3:59am
Exercise is very helpful for addressing anxiety, especially the physical symptoms. Exercising outdoors can be even more helpful. Meditation is also helpful if you are able to keep your mind neutral and relaxed. One meditation activity that works for me involves picturing yourself sitting along a river watching things float by. You can imagine these are your worries. You notice them, but you let them float by. One other interesting activity is to combine sitting in nature by a stream or river and actually watch things float by you imagining that they represent the feelings and troubles that you have floating by and leaving you in a peaceful and mindful way.
brightJoy72
Personally taking deep breaths helps me. Taking the time out every day to do some weight lifting helps as well. Taking my mind off of the unpleasant past which can poison the "now" - focus on what really is...not the past not the future..
bokchoi
Practice mindfulness. An app that i use is headspace, which guides you through mindfulness sessions. Also avoiding triggers for anxiety and avoiding caffeine and other stimulants.
SurvivingPheonix
A friend that helps you put things in perspective. It always works, someone who can resist your mental desire to make the situation much bigger than it is, in a way that consumes you.
RobRH
I always find "5 senses-grounding" a fantastic technique- finding 5 things you can see, 4 you can touch, 3 you can hear, 2 you can smell, 1 you can taste. Helps you reconnect and feel in control.
Anonymous
I find that meditation really helps. You can practice internal martial arts like tai chi or other slow meditative arts like yoga. Point is to train to turn your thoughts in wards and learn to control your thoughts along with your breathing.
Anonymous
Stay calm. Make sure you have someone or something to calm you down.. And breathe. Breathing is super important
Anonymous
First of all, please make sure you're safe : if you are experiencing severe symptoms of anxiety, call for help and/or find someone to be with you. Assuming that you're in safe environment without immediate danger, I found that deeply breathing can sometimes help, as well as listening to calm music. There are some websites that allows you to create a personal music with natural sounds (Noisli.com for example but many others exist). You can also doodle, write about what's happening. Also, this winter, while being in a deep state of anxiety, I found that stroking and cuddling with a very, very soft cloth was calming me.
GrueneTee
I'd try to note down (if the physical symptoms arise from time to time) what was my thought / anxiety when the symptoms appear, or else, I'd try to figure myself out, what could make me anxious starting from getting cleared of what I want the situation to be compared to the real situation I'm in.
Nisee96
Breathing exercises are always a good way , prayer is another that I usually recommend and also meditation helps a lot