What are alternative ways besides medication to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

SoundsOfTheSea24
Breathing exercises. Taking long, deep breaths, inwards and outwards can really help when it comes to calming yourself down.
Mulin
There are plenty of ways that may help deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety. This can include taking deep breaths, trying some light exercise, listening to calming music, or simply doing something that you enjoy. That being said, if taking medication helps you and is medically advised, there is nothing wrong with continuing to do so.
braveSoul91
To best deal with anxiety besides medication is meditation. meditation has helped me so much in my path to healing. Feeling more comfortable and capable within yourself is the most liberating feeling.
CrowFeathers
Focus on breath and body. Notice your breath and then try to slow and steady it. Mentally scan your body for tension, release it were possible. Continue to breathe.
amandaleonard
Exercise, talking it out with someone, listening to music, and learning deep breathing always helps!
Anonymous
October 2nd, 2016 1:38am
Sometimes taking a deep breath and counting to 10, and slowly it down for even a minute can help relieve anxiety.
Overlandprism76
Grounding, looking for things in the room of a certain color or shape. Feeling the textures around you.
Elvalight
Deep breathing, distractions, taking walks, focusing on what you can see/hear/smell/taste/touch, limiting sources of stress, having a safe and peaceful place to calm down in and treating yourself gently during times of stress.
Anonymous
1) Deep breathing, relaxation techniques 2) Meditation (my best bet) 3) Preparing for the anxiety provoking situation 4) Knowledge about how anxiety works; when you see how and why it happens, it lessens the symptoms for you. Read and research on anxiety.
Moonshine
It can be helpful to take deep breaths and focus on a place, person or situation that makes you feel happy.
WorkInProgress11
There are a lot of good things to do like breathing exercises, certain yoga poses, meditation, mindfulness journaling. Naming why I feel anxious (if I know) while slowing my breathing and placing my hand on my chest to ground myself often helps me.
Doelly
Getting up and going outside for a walk really helps me. I think the change of scenery refocuses my mind a bit.
Lizzie1990
I find mindfulness activities, such as colouring in helps me. I also recognise when I am becoming anxious and use breathing techniques to calm me down.
truthSeeker71
Believe it or not, exercise does amazing things for anxiety. Even though it might be the last thing we feel like doing, movement can help shift that sinking feeling in the gut, can clear nausea and headaches. Dancing is awesome.
Anonymous
There will be different methods that will work for different people, anxiety is a very personal issue that will differ from person to person. My personal approach to dealing with anxiety is to visualise a colour or situation that calms me while taking slow, deep breaths.
NyxCain
Some supplements like magnesium can help. Things like meditation, yoga, or breathing exercises can help one calm down.
BelievingInYou
coloring, drawing, taking a walk and noticing nature or the "little things" that we oftentimes miss. Just removing myself from one situation and going somewhere else sometimes help. scenery changes help a lot!
Kelleyd83
October 22nd, 2016 5:23am
Many have told me that exercise and eating well help, though those are still things I'm working on personally. My favorite method of dealing with anxiety is twofold: bringing your full attention and awareness to what is going on in your environment and also what is going on inside your body. This is also called mindfulness, and over the years it has helped me tremendously with managing my panic attacks and other forms of anxiety.
Anonymous
I have found meditation/mindfulness exercises to be very useful. 'Staying in the present' exercises which make you aware of your breathing, and of the different parts of your body help you become in tune with your physical self. Also, acknowledging that the symptoms can't hurt you. Knowing the physiological causes of physical anxiety, like increased heart rate, cold extremities, dry mouth etc are all caused by the fight or flight instinct, and are your body's way of trying to prepare you for a confrontation or difficult situation. It's perfectly natural, and cannot harm you. Understanding that has helped me.
hopefulDream99
Personally, when I have an anxiety attack, I enjoy it when I can talk to someone about it. Or if I'm alone, meditation, screaming, releasing it in physical manners like punching a pillow, or crying helps me. Breathing exercises are also very helpful.
originalbraveheart63
The alternate ways are finding something that make you happy and help forget the world around you. It would definetely be one of the best options.
Cacciato
Exercise, plenty of sleep, and healthy eating can help a lot. Also take time out of your day to do activities that relax you or make you happy.
Oreo
What I usually do when I get anxiety or nervous attacks is to exercise. If I have to deal with it on the spot I have a small lighter in my pocket (I don't smoke, it's just for this purpose) that I use to grip in my hand and focus on it, and nothing else. I just notice its weight, size, warmth, and shape in my hand, and channel my nervous energy into it.
Anonymous
Find a good psychologist, and talk to people you trust about what is causing the problems! Write down toughts and go for refreashing walks!
softBeauty63
I find that walking helps a lot and also meditating, Sometimes a warm bath or shower too. Music is also a powerful tool.
Butterfly121
There are a number of breathing techniques that can be very helpful, and a number of different mental exercises too that can help you over come that. It really depends on a person's personal experience to determine what works the best for them
Bluewolf1229
Deep Breathing, Meditation, Exercise, music anything to get your mind off of anxiety. Yoga helps alot to center and build the body core
earthch1ld
Meditation is very helpful. The reason is because deep breathing in stressful situations helps your body to relax. It's also a good idea to find a person that you are comfortable with, to help you stay in the present moment and calm you down.
Anonymous
When having an episode of anxiety, one of the most key things to have is a good breathing technique. You could also try progressive muscle relaxation, which involves making all of the muscles in your body tense for a period of time, then relaxing them completely. This will help your muscles disconnect from your anxious mind. It's best to try it in one section of your body at a time.
Anonymous
Deep breathing, mindfulness, focusing on your body sensations, observe your surroundings, try to tell yourself the feeling will pass.