what are some good and healthy distractions from my anxiety when it gets really bad?

Israel

Tali Weiser, M.A DRAMA THERAPY

Therapist

I am a social worker and drama therapist emphasizing deep relationship and a dynamic approach.I believe that therapeutic relationship is a ground for new positive reflections

Anonymous
Exercise! If it's a brisk stroll or a full out hardcore run or workout, just go for it. I feel so much better after working up a sweat after feeling my anxiety come on. (I also recommend listening to some really upbeat music, whether it's heavy rock, house, dubstep, pop.. seriously helps letting loose)
Anonymous
You could go for nice long walks,listen to music and watch movies that you really enjoy. It also depends on the type of person you are.
AndyLo6201
One tried and tested distraction which has always worked wonderd for me is exercise. It's even supported by science. It releases endorphins in our body which makes us feel happy and relaxed. So sweat it out and forget your problems!
Peaceofmyheart
breathing exercises, going for a walk, talking to friends, mindfulness, yoga, gratitude exercises, watching funny videos online
dragon97
Guided meditation :)
Elvalight
I always go online, since there are so many distractions, but picking up a hobby such as knitting, crocheting, drawing, painting, writing, reading, and photography are all good distractions. Movies/tv shows also work but keep them from being too scary/action packed till you feel better.
Anonymous
Breathing exercises, fitness, reading, talking to someone. Focus on positive things. Focus on things you can control and avoid worrying about things you cannot control.
Twokindears
Slow deep breathing can help you to relax, painting,drawing, focusing on something that brings joy! Reading a good book and also a short walk can help yoi to relax! I hope these suggestions help some!
onedirection1213
I hear talking to someone friendly like your parents or really good friends help out..
Anonymous
Take a little sheet of paper and a pen and try to sketch and/or write down what bothers your mind. Then look at it, read through it and think about what've written/sketched down. Then, take the sheet and rip it apart to little sheds of paper and throw it into a bin.
Anonymous
Do everything which is not reminding you of your anxiety. Hearing loud music, going shopping, be out with friends, express something via art (or writing).
Missionmagic101
There are many good ways to help you with your anxiety. You can always take some time out to yourself and listen to some music or meditate. Taking deep breaths are great to help slow down your heart rate and make you feel calmer. Talk to someone who you can rely on; a friend, a partner, family... Then you can also try some good activities to keep you distracted: exercise, painting, writing, dancing, writing, anything that will make you feel better and doesn't harm you.
AngelCharms2017
try going for a walk or listen to music to help relax you . Do some mediation or yoga excerises. Thinking of place like for example like beach that you are ther.
healingDreamer56
Take a deep breath and breath in for 8, breath out for 8. Then list 5 things you can see near you, 4 things you can touch near you, 3 things you hear around you, 2 things you can smell around you, and 1 thing you can taste. What does your mouth taste like at the moment. This strategy helped me and is a common one, and you can get your mind off of your anxiety for a while.
majesticturtle33
Exercise is a great distraction from anxiety and can help to reduce anxiety levels. Meditation and mindfulness activities can also provide a good distraction from your anxiety.
NyxCain
Sometimes things like math problems or art projects can help me. Talking to people (doesn't even have to be about yourself) might make you feel less anxious if you are an extrovert
Thehonesthelpergoose
I think anything can get your endorphins up is a awesome distraction when it comes to anxiety. try and get up and get your heart rate going youll feel better in no time
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
My favorite distraction is my cat, but this works for any pet. Pets are one of the BEST distractions, try playing with your pet or just snuggling, trust me it works wonders.
MeghanSmiley
There are many ways to distract yourself from your anxiety! Distractions can be anything that takes your focus away from your fears and onto something else. Distractions are different for everyone - some people find watching videos on YouTube a good distraction, others find chatting with a friend to work for them. Remember that your mind has to be off of the anxious thoughts for at /least/ four minutes before your body stops feeling anxious. Our biochemical bodies can't match the speed of our bioelectrical brains!
Anonymous
Anything like meditation to music therapy would be healthy distractions. Nothing else, just concentrate on your breathing.
hanalokahi
Remember to breathe. And try to do an activity that gets you connected to your body so you can connect your mind to your body. When I do a body based activity it really helps bring me out of my head.
SJA18
anxiety can be hard to manage and getting a distraction can help some good distractions can include: -exercise exercise is great for releasing happy chemicals in the brain and is healthy for the body -meditation meditation can help as it helps calm you down and can also help you sleep in some cases these are just some examples of distractions or things you can try to help relief anxiety. it depends on personal preference really on what works for you sometimes talking to someone about your anxiety can relief the symptoms as you got what was worrying you off your chest.
Peoplehelper
Sometimes when I'm anxious I pick ten things in the room and say their colours out loud over and over again until I forget what I was worried about
cupofchamomile08
I find it helpful to call a friend who is willing to listen to me talk about how I'm feeling. Going for a walk and practicing deep breathing techniques is also very helpful. Sometimes I pull out my art supplies and start to create something -- crafting or painting or anything like that is helpful to me!
organticOcean11
When my anxiety gets really bad I usually try to read a good book and generally I read one that I have either read many times before or a little kids book so I don't get any more anxious from the book. I also sometimes take a hot shower or bath and practice breathing excercises. Or I will do a spot that I love. For me that is gymnastics and yoga but it could be anything especially things that can get you into nature like running and hiking. Swimming is another good one.
Anonymous
Excersisng is a great way to deal with anxiety or going on a nice long run can help. Talking to someone
Phoebe98
Kinetic sand, YouTube, tv shows especially family guy, old 80s movies, I watch comedies when I'm anxious though
Anonymous
Anxiety can be awful, but some good distraction I've found are reading, writing, listening to music, playing with my pet, drawing/coloring, and exercising. Just anything I enjoy and that can help ground me.
Anonymous
Whenever I get really bad anxiety and just want a distraction some things I do are; talking with my friends, listening to music, going out and doing something fun, playing with pets, watching something that requires a good amount of thinking, and getting active.
niamh333
It's all about finding what works for you. Some things will help one and not another. My best advice would be to look for what you enjoy doing, and things that have helped in the past. Some ideas include doing things with your hands such as colouring in or crafting, cooking, listening to music, watching funny or cute videos on Youtube or contacting someone you know who can help you feel calmer. The Mindfulness approach can be really helpful too :)