What are some ways you deal with anxiety?

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor, B.A. (Honors, Psychology)

I use a client-centered, solution-focused approach. Particular interests in: self-injury, depression, anxiety, life stress, and change.

Roadie
Most importantly for me at least, having social anxiety, the first thing I do in the morning is talk to as many people as possible. It sets me up for the day and gets my confidence up for later interactions, which keeps those anxious feelings at bay. I also identify and confront those things that stimulate my social anxiety in the first place. I look people in the eye, raise my head, and open up my body language. I do my best to ensure that I do not avoid social interactions or hide in social situations. Finally, if I feel I'm beginning to become anxious in a social setting, I try to focus on the other person, what they are saying, and get cues from them. That keeps that internal voice quiet.
DonaldK
Prayer, Telling someone, deep breathing, music, TV, Going to the movies, taking a walk, spending time with friends.
Casryn86
I try making myself as busy as possible. That way I take the anxious energy and put it to use. I feel more productive, which makes me feel more in control. I do things like prepare meals for the week, clean my apartment, or get ahead on assignments.
FaithE
Anxiety is something that can be really challenging to deal with. I deal with anxiety by doing some physical activity, which can be a great way to relieve tension and stress. I also make sure I always have some "me-time" throughout the week where I do something I enjoy, like reading a book, watching a movie, or taking a long shower!
zconnorg
Some ways that I personally deal with my anxiety is meditation, realizing that I'm being anxious, telling others about my anxiety, going to a therapist once a week to talk about my anxiety, staying away from high caffeinated beverages, and trying to fight my anxiety head on (not avoiding it). Dealing with anxiety is very hard but it is definitely doable. Anxiety is not impossible to beat.
Kellie
I lock myself into my room and just surround myself with music. I normally pull out old sheet music and re live my past performances since I was calm and happy then.
LeeleeRose
I do yoga, relaxation techniques, read, write, draw, doodle, drink water, stretch, and think calmly, and listening to music also really helps me.
kpx3
I deal with anxiety by writing, playing piano, taking drives by the beach. Anything peaceful to help give myself clarity. The more engaged and active you are with a passionate hobby, the more stress levels go down.
DivergentMockingjay
There are many ways to deal with Anxiety, but my favorites are.. -Mint gum, because it keeps you from tensing your jaw, and the mint soothes you -Aromatherapy is a very powerful toolfor me. Lavender scents are very soothing. You can find aromatherapy at health stores and bath and body works. Progressive Muscle relaxation is also great. Starting from your face and going all the way down to your toes, it is first tensing and then releasing said tension in each part of your body.
StJaume
I usually talk about it with my friends, or even people here on 7 Cups. Alternatively, I keep myself busy with a combination of video games and comedy. I also turn to prayer and long walks, too.
anjanie14
i read, i find that rocking back and forth also helps.music is also a big helper and drinking tea :)
graciegoose
Ive learned how to breath and take a minute to myself and think about the situation i'm in and remember its not as bad as my mind is telling me it is.
Anonymous
I deal with anxiety by first taking a deep breath and try to calm myself down then I usually try to take my mind off it by doing something else.
lamiaa
Listen to loud music which I actually find to be very relaxing, go for a run, and more importantly, write down the things bothering me so that I can deal with them one at a time and not overwhelm myself with everything all at once.
Xaini
i'll calm the person & make them relax, build repo, when they feel comfortable then ask about their issue
CMThornRose
The tapping process helps. There are herbal things, I personally found rescue remedy to be a great help. One you have control over anxiety it is a very small problem in time. Take time for you, set a space in your day to relax and do nothing. Yoga maybe, or even meditation. There are some good things on the internet and youtube. It's what works for you that'll be the best way.
remnantshadow
Some ways I deal with my anxiety is bye spacing out my triggers throughout the week so I have time to recover before doing another. I also, take a lot of time just for myself, whether it be journaling, a good book, or just curling up on the couch. If my anxiety is really bad, I'll try meditation, listening to music, or chatting online of 7cups or another site.
TellMeAboutIt
take deep breathes and count to tenn and if that dosen't work lay down and then relax when u fall asleep u'll wake up relaxed
Zora17
My methods are seeking support, researching to understand it better, confronting it by taking small challenges to gradually expand my comfort zone, evaluating any automatic negative thoughts and predictions and replacing them, meditation and relaxation, and laughing at it sometimes to be more comfortable and less afraid of it.
colorfulcrocs
I usually read a book, take a warm, relaxing bath, listen to music, watch television or talk to some of my friends.
Makena1012
If you are experiencing an anxiety attack you can try breathing exercises such as: breathing in for 4 seconds then you hold you breath for 7 seconds and then you breathe out for 8. Repeat this as many times as needed.
GraceOz
Dealing with anxiety is hard for me. I usually just try to take a deep breath and talk myself through whatever I'm feeling anxious about at the time. Sometimes, I'm anxious about things that won't even matter in the long run.
Cielxblu
Some ways that I deal with anxiety is to always stay calm, I take deep breaths and try to distract myself if I am feeling really anxious
KaylaBear
When placed into a situation which makes me anxious i use music to help calm myself down. i walk around town with one headphone in with my music on low so i can hear that while having to deal with the things i have to do.
Saraahh
November 1st, 2014 8:13am
Taking medical drugs may always help, however if the anxiety is not very serious, slowly breathing in and out during panic attacks may help.
Anonymous
When I a m feeling anxious I find it is calming to take slow breaths in, hold it for about 6 seconds and then slowly breathe out. I repeat this 3 or 4 times and I feel a lot better.
Anonymous
Anxiety can wreak havoc on our day to day activities. Learning to cope with exercises you can do to calm yourself can help. Relaxation videos on youtube are great, anxiety help guides are good resources as well. Exercises such as counting to ten, analyzing your situation in a healthy way, staying active, talking about it, not overloading yourself but not letting it keep you from what you need to accomplish. Just some ideas
Sevsev11
Depending on how severe your anxiety gets to you there are all sorts of ways to dealing with it! When I have an anxiety attack, I usually find something to distract me from it. Like, putting something really cold on my arm, thinking about a favorite memory, or even just daydreaming helps me. Now, I also try to focus on my breathing like how you do when you meditate. That's also a great way to distract you. I have heard that there actual breathing methods that are scientifically proven to help you as well! Hope this helps! (:
PirateTeen
Distract yourself by watching videos on youtube. Playing computer games. Reading books. Playing sports. Having fun with your friends. Watch a movie at home. Talk to a therapist. Summary: Find a way to distract yourself.
MaeLatham
distracting myself, usually by doing something with my hands. also by evening and calming my breathing