What does depression feel like?

390 Answers.
What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Top Rated Answer
fixyou
It feels like your head is burning in pain. You feel you wont ever be happy. The voices in your head take their toll, continously stabbing you with fear and negetivity. It seems like you are covered with huge painful bleeding scars that no one can see, so no one really understands the pain you are dealing with. Its hard to take life one day at a time. Your head weighs like a thousand tons. It always seems like you are running in circles, never getting anywhere. Lot of anger, lot of sadness. It seems like you are on fire and no one or nothing can put it out for long. You are always yearning for relief from it. Sometimes you feel chest pain headaches or break into sweat. You cry a lot. Or you stop feeling anything and become numb.You dont want to leave the house, anxiety wont let you. You want to be left alone. This is what it feels like and i havent even given a full account of it.
Newest Answer
helpfulTortoise7459
I don't even know anymore what I feel, I cry constantly, can't explain myself, breathing is a chore that I have to seriously think about, my stomach feels empty I'm tired but just can't sleep I've been off my medication for 6 month now but really struggling without it

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Euggodoy
It's like drowning, it's like an addiction, you want to get out of it but at the same time you don't and it feels awful bc no one can understand you.
turkoizdog
It's like alternating between feeling stuck in the past and worrying about the future. Like feeling stupid for something you said, and ruminating in that, and then worrying about saying more stupid things the next time you have to go interact with people.
ChocoholicMouse
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Anonymous
Its like being trapped in a mind where you are never happy and when you are it doesn't feel right. You get use to not being happy and learn to accept it.
zeiwald
Having depression is like if there is another soul inside you who is doing its best to "kick out" the real you and take over control. No matter what you do or say - there's always depression knocking on your shoulder saying you're not good enough, not worth it, useless... It sucks, really. And in my case anxieties kicked in when depression had totally knocked me down. I became extremely scared and got anxious if I had to do all those normal things that I used to love before mental illness. All my days passed by, being in bed. Hardest part was my dad saying "you're just lazy", he didn't realize that I wasn't physically able to do any better because I was ill. I was left alone. It was devastating.
Rel
Depression is like going through life like you're trying to wade through water. Everything feels sluggish, slow, difficult, and if you make one wrong step you'll trip and drown. Anxiety is the feeling that rushes through your chest when you are about to miss a step on the staircase or you catch your foot on a crack in the pavement, and you think, for a moment, you are going to fall. it is that feeling, but constant.
Anonymous
To have depression is to have no motivation; No motivation to wake up, no motivation to socialize, no motivation to live. It is a crushing weight that you just need some support to lift.
pandamars08
Having Depression and Anxiety at the same time is like having no emotions and yet feeling everything at all. It's wanting to not care and isolate yourself but at the same time, it is worrying about many things and feelings around you. It's a constant battle of not caring and caring too much. It's a line of confusion and swirling void and it is a very thin line to cross. It is like being half-asleep and half-awake, you are trapped in limbo state and you don't know what to do anymore, you are just trapped in your mind: an ebbing vortex of both emptiness and loud voices. Depression and anxiety is almost like you are away from your body and you watch yourself slowly disintegrate and disappear in your own hands.
Anonymous
Having depression and anxiety feels incredibly lonely. And the frustrating thing is that things that could help make things better (such being physically active, talking to someone, going out with friends) are so much more difficult to do when you feel depressed and anxious.
Mimi
Having depression and anxiety is very physically and emotionally draining. It feels like you lose your true self and no matter how hard you try you can't find who you once were.
Anonymous
Having depression and anxiety at the same time is really hard. Having depression is like drowning in your problems, without being able to stop them. It's really hard and dessesperant, and it's one of the worst feeling ever. Having anxiety is very hard as well. It has a lot of physical symptoms and it can make your life as a living hell. The problem of having both disorders is that it can "drive you mad". When you have depression you don't feel like doing anything, you feel low, you feel sad. When you have anxiety you always feel like in a hurry, like if you were put under pressure. And having both is just very hard. There is a disorder called Mixed anxiety-depressive disorde, where both disroders are together.
Voref
Depression is like being coated in a thick tar, which makes it difficult to do anything. It can be so difficult to even get up in the morning, let alone have the motivation to do anything with the day. The thought 'What's the point?' is one that regularly comes to mind, and your thoughts are automatically negative, even when you do not even realise it. Depression makes you feel really guilty. You don't do things, you know you should do things, but you can't. This makes you feel guilty, like you are wasting your life and just no good being around. Anxiety is feeling strange walking down the road, especially when someone walks past you. Do you look up? Do you look down? You became so self aware. It's avoiding situations and then feeling guilty because you did, but secretly relieved that you didn't have to do it. But then feeling bad again because you know it's not healthy to avoid situations. Anxiety is having a low comfort zone and sticking within it, but you don't really know why.
Galene
Well, that is something really hard to explain... I had depression and anxieties for over a year and it was really hard to get out of it. First of all, I would never cause something like that willingly to myself, so I like to call my depression "her" as if it is another person (Same with anxiety). It's just that whenever something happens, even if it is something good for you she finds a way to make you feel horrible about it. I know I didn't help much, but think of depression as a really big sea, and you, being there in the middle without knowing how to swim. At first you are confused, you don't know what is wrong, why this happened, and start questioning many things that have to do with you. Then once you start and learn how to swim, and feel kinda good, there comes a really huge wave. You start drowning, since your swimming is not good at all, and try to keep your head above the surface of the water, which can be REALLY hard at some times. You are struggling with the water. Then it calms down again until you manage to "swim" again. And again, there comes the next wave, and the story goes on and on. But I have to tell you, once you get out of it, the feeling is wonderful. You see the whole world with a new prespective, and you will understand easier whenever somebody else is going through something as well. Based on my experience, this is exactly how i would explain my depression and anxieties to anybody that never had any experience with that. I hope it helped :)
Anonymous
It's having to stay in bed because you cant will yourself to move but freaking out at the thought of missing school or work. It's being stuck between not wanting to go to bed and not wanting to wake up. It's wanting to do so much but not being able to do anything. It's a lot of little things.
Anonymous
when i am depressed I feel like I am dull my brain works slower, happiness is superficial, life becomes meaningless and when i am anxious i feel a heavy burden on my heart.
Hannah1121
It is the biggest contradiction ever. You care too much, but you also don't care anymore. You don't know how to feel ever. You have two different sides of you trying to tell you what to do, and you never know which side to listen to.
lizziecazs
It's like you lost something and you don't quite know what until one day you realize you lost yourself
Anonymous
Depression to me is like drowning, while everyone else is breathing. It's also kind of like life in slow motion. It feels like being shackled and having no power or sense of existence. It's sort of identity crisis also. Who am I, and why am I alive? To me that is depression.
peachpie
It's almost indescribable, the feeling as if something is literally weighing you down, you're tired and forcing a smile feels so painful. You think no one understands and you just want to isolate yourself so nothing happens to you.
Anonymous
It's a feeling of isolation, discomfort and in some cases fatigue. Both have their own symptoms: depression is more personal, feeling like you don't matter or you're doing something wrong, even if you're not. Anxiety, on the other hand, is excessive self-awareness and being afraid of judgement, in addition to many more things.
Anonymous
It's very difficult. I have both depression and anxiety and it's not only hard on me, but anybody who I am around.
writersoul
When you are depressed you feel sad a lot, but it's not a "normal" sad, it's mor like a feeling depressed that you just can't get out of for that very moment. And Anxiety? Well,all day, every day, life is like this. Fear. Apprehension. Avoidance. Pain. Anxiety about what you said. Fear that you said something wrong. Worry about others' disapproval. Afraid of rejection, of not fitting in. Anxious to enter a conversation, afraid you'll have nothing to talk about.
Anonymous
It feels like you can't breathe in a room full of people, because someone might stare at you fi you make the tiniest noise. You feel like everyone is always talking about you, even though they usually aren't. Depression is different for everyone, as is anxiety, but for me depression is the feeling of being utterly alone no matter what you do. Silently crying for help but no one cares. My anxiety is like the feeling you get when you begin the swift descent from the highest point of a roller coaster, and your body can't keep up.
kittykat
Depression is often referred to as a feeling of overwhelming sadness, and anxiety is referred to as a feeling of overwhelming fear. These descriptors aren't always accurate, however. Depression has many symptoms including numbness and lethargy, which can make it hard to feel any emotions at all, including sadness. Depression can also make someone lose their appetite, lose interest in activities they once enjoyed, and feel incredibly frustrated with themselves. Anxiety also has physical symptoms, including sweating and shortness of breath. People with anxiety may overthink even simple tasks, be overwhelmed by perfectionism, or feel inadequate. They may also develop fears of being judged by the people around them, even if there is no rational reason for doing so.
ryke
For me anxiety led to depression, and they're feeding on each other. I get anxious over the most irrational things, thing unworthy of anxiety. I think this thought, and my rational brain tells me it's nothing to be anxious about. I try to figure out why I feel like I'm suffocating, and why I have this heavy weight on my heart, for something that is unworthy. Then I cant make sense of it, I get frustrated with myself, because I cant figure out why I feel this way. I then just leave the feeling to dwell inside me, and I continue to feel suffocated, and as if my heart is carrying a 100 kilogram weight around. Eventually, my mind goes blank, I simply stop thinking. I realise I'm not thinking then I try to figure things out from the beginning, and the circle begins again. I then usually decide to talk to my love, and since my anxiety affect my thoughts about my relationship with him, I start to get anxious about whether I'm driving him away with my irrational fears. Then I decide I'm not going to talk to him about it, because I don't want to hurt him. The thing is, he is the only one I have left to talk to, I have nobody else. I have no energy socializing. I start to get depressed and wonder: "What is wrong with me?." I am 16, I am exhausted, I can't talk to people because I'm exhausted. I think one thought, and my mind spirals. I don't know how to help myself, thus I become depressed. I want to have energy and enjoy my youth, instead I sit in physics and repeat to myself: "Breathe, breathe, it will be okay, just breathe." If it wasn't for my love who sat through all of this with my, I would've lost myself completely.
pastagirl
It's knowing you have so many things to do and stressing over them but being physically and emotionally unable to get out of bed. So you sit there, heart thumping quickly thinking about those responsibilities but feeling like there's so many reasons why getting out of bed is bad or useless. You feel so useless and don't feel like you have a reason to live, and you're constantly torn between worrying about life and dreading life
Anonymous
Hard. Depression isn't caring about anything, and anxiety is caring too much about everything, so the two conflict a lot and it's hard to keep them in check. You'll skip a bunch of stuff, or neglect to do things like schoolwork or chores, and then a couple hours later, your anxiety will freak out, thinking of all the bad things that could happen because of the stuff you skipped.
Anonymous
Living with depression and anxiety is hard to do. I have dealt with it for the past two years. You feel hopeless and worthless like no one is there for you. You feel like you are in a dark world where no one understands you. Never forget that there is always someone there for you to talk to. We all have a purpose.
trisjlistens
Believe me, it's hard. No one ever takes it seriously. No one understands. Even my parents and friends don't understand. People mistake you for so many things that you're not. It's hard. It's just really hard.
Anonymous
For anxiety, you feel like you're juggling so many balls that you just drop all of them and panic about the failure. For depression, you feel like you're sitting alone in the bottom of a hole in the earth. It's dark and getting smaller. You watch the light above you narrowing and dwindling.
Anonymous
Depression is summed up for me as wanting to do something, anything, and not feeling the motivation or creativity to do it.
MostColorfulHello
Depression and anxiety are those 2 friends you never invited over in the first place - and they want to sponge off of your energy and consume your happiness. The key is that they are created and dwell inside of our OWN minds and we can control and manage them. You can choose to "make friends" with them and acknowledge their pettiness *and* push them into their own corner - but getting rid of them is a much tougher chore. Having a plan in place for when either or both of them show up is ESSENTIAL to managing the stressors that they carry along. Tell anxiety - out loud: "NOT today - and tomorrow isn't looking promising, either." WE are in control of our self - it just takes patience and understanding to manage the bad guys. YOU can do it - start today. remember - out loud if you have to - and be FIRM like driving an evil spirit from your home: "NOT today - and tomorrow isn't looking promising, either. Go the hell on somewhere and leave me alone!" ♥
Seqnab
It is definitely an empty feeling. Whether it be neglect from friends, abusive/divorced family, there is a certain loneliness one exhibits from lack of love or respect given. Many know it as normal, they have not known any different feeling their whole life—they always wonder why they feel so secluded from the rest of the pack. But with enough self-discipline and courage, you can find the strength within yourself to overcome the feeling. Usually, that inner strength is not realized until another tells you "Hey, that's no way to live!" Anyways, that is how it was for me! Have faith, and stay safe.
Orchid17
Anxiety; It feels like the aftermath of being on multiple roller coasters. It the feeling of your body being pulled and going numb as if you were still on the ride. To me, it feels like my body cannot stop shaking from the inside. Depression; It feels like I've given up. Like I will just step out at the right time a truck is driving down the street, my mind will go blank and I'll feel numb once the truck hits. No positive thoughts. Just one single word echoing in my head; "Die". I feel like this all the time. I hide it from everyone. But hiding it causes you more pain and agony than you can imagine. Get help.
AlexxBlade496
Having depression is very difficult. It's like you have a dark cloud that surrounds you wherever you go. Imagine waking up in the morning a your paralized. You cant move or do anything to help it, just lie there in a puddle of your own emotions. You feel sd and lonely for no particular reason. That is what it's like to have depression.
rebelslueth45
Having both depression and anxiety sucks, they're almost complete opposites of each other which leaves you in the middle of an internal civil war.
zconnorg
Depression and anxiety can be very debilitating. It takes a lot of energy out of you and can keep you from doing the things you want to do. It keeps you from really enjoying life. I've found that going to a therapist once a week and going on medication for depression and anxiety has helped me personally. Sometimes you can feel like you are alone and feel like you will never get better, but it's not true.
Anonymous
When you have depression your sad all the time and with anxiety your always worried about everything
xoxowickedgirlxoxo
its extra hard because you end up getting depressed about the things your anxious about
yessitshannah
Having depression and anxiety is like watching everyone else around you swimming, while you're in the midst of drowning. You try to scream for someone to help you but everyone else is engulfed in their own thing.
Anonymous
It feels like you're scared of bad outcomes that you can't change by yourself, it changes the persons thoughts to negative ones that simply aren't true.
Anonymous
When you are depressed it's like you are loosing yourself.Nothing seems possible. Anxiety is like fear
Anonymous
I haven't been diagnosed with anything but what I interpret as depression is just this feeling like you're not worth it, like no one would miss you if you were gone. And it hurts so much and you feel like you have to stop it from hurting and then it all fades away a bit and you look normal but it's still waiting there, ready to pounce and strike again. And then the anxiety just feeds it because you worry so much and you panic and your mind is moving too fast and you can't breathe and you feel like you'll never do anything right and that just leads to depression again.
Ibiihere
Depression is feeling unhappy most of the time and anxiety is loosing lots and lots of fun in your life :D
Charlotte54
Many people associate the feeling of depression with the sensation of drowning or being in a bubble - being isolated and unable to escape from it. Anxiety, I would say, is similar to just being on edge all of the time, being hypersensitive to the world around you and feeling apprehensive about everything.
helpfulsam99
It's like something is pressing on your chest and you want to do things and be happy but this THING is pushing you back down and making you just curl up and cry. And there's the constant nagging sensation that everyone you know is happier than you. Everyone else is having fun and making friends and you're just lying on the couch looking at your phone because you feel like you already died so why leave the house? It's the feeling of watching dirty clothes pile up on the floor and knowing you could easily pick them up but never having the energy. It's looking outside and seeing nothing alive no matter what season it is. Winter is full of dead grey things but the sun in the summer is just as terrifying and sad. It gets to the point where sadness physically hurts but it's the only thing you know you actually feel because you're so numb.
emotionalHuman8137
Depression to me feels like having so many questions but never the right answers. It feels like you arent good enough to be yourself. Its like if your too much to handle. It feels as if nothing is ever right. Like if the knot in your stomach just keeps getting tighter. You set goals for yourself but your mind just tells you that you will never accomplish. All you wanna do when youre alone is cry in silence wondering why life sucks for you. Like you got everything but everything means nothing.. Its like an adrenaline rush.. You shake uncontrollably always taking fault even on things that arent your fault it feels like your suffocating it feels like sadness monotone & happy all together thats the worst feeling ever
BlondeSouthernBelle88
depression is very empty. things just feel off or wrong, you dont feel hopeful or happy about anything in your life. you're crying alot for no apparent reason either at nothing, or something then normally would be insignificant. you feel like you are moving and thinking in slow motion, getting up in the morning takes alot of effort. carrying on a normal conversation is a struggle, you cant seem to express yourself. you're having trouble making simple decisions. your friends and family really irritate you. your anxious and worried alot. everything seems hopeless. you feel like you cant do anything right.
Anonymous
It varies, of course...for me, depression felt like a deadweight. A weight on my ankle, requiring extra effort to complete tasks that should've been simple. The weight was poisonous, too. It would seep into my leg through my body, filling me with not just immense sadness, but a feeling of hopelessness and helplessness. It was as if I was in a jail cell, with the door open, but the weight filled me with such thoughts that I was convinced leaving would hurt worse. Anxiety was so different. It was almost unbearable. For me, it was like having a loud screeching buzzsaw next to me at all times, or like being held over the mouth of a giant animal. I felt this indescribable doom, like something completely horrible would happen to me. Everyday things made me scared for absolutely no reason other than negative association. I felt anxious in my bedroom, so now my bedroom was cursed. I felt anxious in the car, so now there was something wrong with the car. I felt anxious with friends, so I knew they would hurt me. I thought my anxiety was a sign or an omen of something terrible, even though I really felt it for no reason.
Sp00nman
To have depression one will feel unmotivated to do daily tasks. One will feel as if there is no real need to do it. One who struggles with anxiety will feel overwelming feelings that just take over the mind and begin thinking of off the wall things that never really happen or will never happen.
Tuesdayismyname
Depression feels like this overhead weight that's always there. It makes you sad and tired. Anxiety makes you feel like something is coming and it makes you sweat and shake and cry.
Anonymous
You're always exhausted. No motivation, you don't wanna do anything and you don't care about anything. You could just lie still in place and never move.
JoyfulHeart822
It feels like being numb, except in your mind. It's like your almost too tired to gather up the strength to feel any emotions. You don't want to go out, but you don't want to stay in. It's not a good feeling.
soothingRainfall
It is likely to feel sad and think there is no use in life anymore engulfed with fear guilt remorse and all negative thoughts
Innoncentflower
It's not the greatest thing in the world.it's like feeling sad and scared all the time and no one understands you.
mamaBear88
March 23rd, 2016 7:51am
Like a deep pit or emptiness in your stomach that just won't go away or just utter sadness, loneliness, or feelings of being lost.
Letschat9
And empty cup unable to be filled, feeling alien in your own skin, alone and afraid of yourself and the world.
reliableApple5869
Like nothing does or ever will matter. Depression is like sinking through every single day and night ,isolated and alone, even when you're surrounded by people. It's wanting everything to end and not having to feel the grief anymore. It's knowing you'll never be happy again.
lyricalscarf32
depression feels like a pit. a hole in your heart and brain, it feels heavy and like its a 100lbs weight just dragging you down.
Recent Answers
Anonymous
It feels like sliding down into a deep well where all your energy is sapped away by the cold and the dark. You know you are in the well, but you can't get out on your own and are losing the energy to keep trying. No one else can see the well, feel your weariness, or feel the numbing cold but you, so they don't understand why you don't just climb out already, into the sun. They lose patience with you and blame you for falling in, when you did nothing on your own to get there, had been fighting to stay out, but now that you are there, you don't have enough strength left to climb out.
VeRzose91
Depression feels like you can't concentrate on other stuffs. Once you tried, you feel like its only you hands and eyes are cooperating. But you mind is somewhere else and your head is a little bit heavy.
Anonymous
January 31st, 2018 11:53pm
No one understands even the closest to you and the best of listeners. Forever fighting negative thoughts and critical voices putting you down making your face go bright red when you talk as all you can hear is negativit from your own head, feeling inadequate and simply not good enough ever,
RedReborn
Depression is a weighted blanket the gets heavier the longer you carry it. No matter how hard you try you can not remove it but it can get lighter.
Anonymous
Feels like not having much will to do much and everything appears a chore ...
Swiftie777
December 2nd, 2017 7:56pm
I feel afraid all the time. I feel worthless and like I am a burden to my family and everyone. I feel like there is something inside me thats burning inside me that has taken away all of my inner peace. I feel restless all the time. I am extremely fearful off the future. I am constantly second guessing everything in my life. I want to run away and die because it's seems like the easiest option
Anonymous
It feels like you want to die but you can't . It feels like you want to drown in a pound of your own tears . You want to cry but also don't want anyone to hear but at the same time also want everyone to hear . You look happy in the eyes of others but from inside you are burning . There's always that burning pain in your chest that you want to get rid of but also at the same time it is what helping you to tolerate . You hate looking weak and emotional in front of people but sometimes you can't just keep it in, you want to cry, you want to scream , you want scratch your skin off. The emotional pain is something that is unbearable. You don't know how to get out of it.
lucy2116
This site has pave way for me to meet a man that actually helped me get my lovely husband back home. I saw different testimonies of different spell casters on this site, and I decide to choose one out of them to see if his spell prayers is real. I am testifying back now that prophet prayer is powerful, his spell works for me just within 5days. my husband is back and we are living together happily. Thanks to you prophet. You have really proven to me that these testimonies about you is real.CAN NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR TEMPLE HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS:HOLYPROPHET8@GMAIL.COM CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS
bluewhalesong
Depression to me is like taking a soaking wet sponge and wringing it out. That middle point of the sponge are my feelings being twisted back and forth. It is the hardest kick in the stomach without you throwing up. It is wanting something physically painful to happen to take ur mind off the invisible pain. It is getting hit & mangled by a train but not lucky enough to die. Instead, you lay there like twisted wreckage ignored by all & rendered useless but being alive to experience all the broken bones, ribs, & torn flesh but not able to stop the pain. It is a life sentence that never ends. It is a being in an abusive relationship that you cannot leave. It is floating in an ocean all alone, you don't die but your one step from it.
adventurousCoconut5536
Its like I have feelings of intense anxiety, sadness, guilt and fear, all at one time. Weird things set me off, like even sad sounding music from a kids show. I was lying down while my daughter watched monster high and the dramatic music brought out sad feelings but I couldnt pin down any certain thing. Its like "toxic emotion soup".
apulley618
My body aches like I have the flu but I know I don’t. I feel tired, drained, and achy all over. I keep asking myself what is wrong with me, why can’t I just snap out of it, even though I already know the answer. I didn’t sleep well at all last night I kept waking up to a pool of my own sweat. I am so hot that I can’t keep the covers on me but as soon as I take them off I’m freezing cold, it’s a horrible feeling. I could barely find the motivation to get out of bed this morning to go to work and I love my job. I feel I am beginning to hate my job forcing myself to get up and go, which in turn makes me extremely anxious because I cannot afford to lose my job. Also, how do you even explain that to your employer that you are so depressed you can barely make it to work, it’s sad and embarrassing and I feel they wouldn’t even believe me if I told them. One thing with depression is you become a very great actor; you try and make people believe you’re happy so they don’t see the sadness. Also, it’s a sadness that I can’t explain, it’s a feeling of sadness even though nothing has happened to make me sad, I can’t explain it or make it go away. What is even worse is having anxiety and depression at the same time. It’s an overwhelming sadness and overwhelming fear all at the same time. I am torn between worrying about life and dreading life. It’s like I am standing in a crowded room screaming for help and not a single person even looks my way. To me anxiety is the worse of the two. It cripples me in fear, with a feeling of not being able to breath and sweating so much that my body is drenched. The fear makes me isolate myself from everyone, with this overwhelming feeling of being judged, which in turn makes me feel so alone. I feel as if no one cares about me like I am all alone in this. It is taking everything I got not to cry right now while I am sitting at work. It’s so embarrassing I can’t stand it. I feel like such a loser even though I know I am strong. It’s been hours and I still can’t shake this feeling. I feel shaky, light headed, and I keep feeling like I am going to throw up. I am so hazy I can barely focus; it’s like being in a bad dream. I’m exhausted and have no motivation, I just want to lie in bed and never get out.
Finishwellson
Each day I mourn the loss of my prior self. I retrace the steps that led to the period when this beast cemented into be being, trying to make sense of it, my way of fighting for myself. The Beast begins its work on me the second I wake. "You're supposed to be dead and gone. Each day you stay is an abomination. In fact, you should never have been born." And at the end of a day of battle .. What's left is all I have for my kids. Others think I am weak and pathetic so I keep to myself and suffer in silence, all day, all night. All these years .. And the memories of before are stolen, one at a time. Soon I will have little to no memory of before. I miss living life. It's not supoosed to be this way.
Anonymous
Depression feels like you and the world are nothingness. That nothing can't be felt or experienced which leaves you sad and wanting. You want to go out and be with people and have fun but there is no drive or motivation, it's just a nice idea. All you really want to do is be alone in silence without thinking or doing anything.
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2017 8:02am
To me, depression feels like you're walking upstream through a current strong enough to pull you under 4 times over. There are others with you but they are walking along the banks, telling you to "just get out of the water." But instead of extanding hand to help, they just move on and leave you behind. Every once in a while, you find a rock that is strong enough for you to lean on, and you can rest for a bit. But the rocks always get tired of holding you up, and when they let go, you left drowning, thrown 50 ft back again. And nothing is harder than standing up in that current, when everything in you is telling you just how much easier things would be if you just let yourself get dragged under...
Anonymous
Depression to me feels like a tight rope that I am bound with and I have no way out of it. When depressed I feel as if I have lost all hope and my life means meaningless.
Anonymous
It feels like loosing all hope. Sometimes suicidal thoughts come to your mind in extreme conditions.
Thebablefish
to me it sometimes means feeling nothing at all and it hurts, no matter how hard you try to be happy you cant seem to even if your closest friends are with you it doesn't seem to work. It means you are tired all the time and just want to sleep though your thoughts keep you up until midnight. You want to cry randomly and feel the need to hide under a desk sometimes if things get too intense. Even if you have a good day it can hit randomly in the middle of a laugh with your friends you are hit with sadness that makes the laughter fade into nothing.
majesticLight96
I was so hurt and bent out of shape several years ago, after many years of chosen singlehood, and the relationship ending abruptly! I obsessed about how foolish I had been, letting myself be used, and then dumped via text, ouch! It was a 6 month long distance relationship and I was falling for the other person. It was a painful loss. The depression was instant, but the self-care came immediately when I changed by phone number, the day of the break-up. I notice that friends who have had similar break-ups, tend not to do this at all, in the hopes, unconsciously, that maybe their lost beloved will call and want to get back together. This is the worst thing we can do, as our self-esteem hinges on letting another person define us as women and it can be very depressing. My own level of depression was deep at the time, and I was spiraling down with self-loathing. It was hard to get out of bed, and my anger was turned inward. I saw a counselor and that was very helpful. I also shared my sadness and grief with friends who were supportive. Depression comes in many forms, lack of interest in normal things...check! Lack of pleasure, check! Lack of energy and appetite and trouble sleeping, check! I had all of those symptoms. I found that movement, even walking, is an antidote for those symptoms. I think in addition to the physical, social and professional help, my faith in a loving higher power, really got me through! Anyone who suffers from depression, and we all do at some point in our lives, would get through it with less trauma, (there's no way around it) by reaching out, as well as within. Sometimes medication is required, and there is no shame in that. Whatever it looks like, my message to you is to just get the help you need! Life is full of hellos and goodbyes, and a series and highs and lows. To me, the key is to not get too high or low, and nurture myself in the hard times, with support, meditation and prayer. I sure wish I had 7cups back then!!! Be Blessed and remember, it'll get better! Peace, Majestic.
marvelousMermaid87
Depression feels heavy. Trapping. It feels achy and tight and dull. It consume you and makes every single thing seem mundane or pointless. You worry about what others think of you, yet push them away because you are so sad and hurting so much. It is different for everyone, but it is something so painful that is curable.
Anonymous
Depression can show in many ways, but it often feels like a constant struggle to keep your head above water. It's as if every little task feels like a huge obstacle.
insightfulCreature77
Tired all the time/overwhelmed a lot/angry over the tiniest things/crying in the shower/ telling everyone I can't come out/and SO lonely
Anonymous
Depression feels like there's a demon inside of you eating it's way out. There's a little bug inside you're ear telling you you're worthless and will never do anything right.
Anonymous
depression feels different to everyone, to me it feels like I have no energy, it causes me to feel like a zombie, I walk around and look like me but on the inside i have no feeling.
Anonymous
For me depression felt like a permanent night, were there was no light, no hope and no faith. It felt like it would never end.
Euphrosyne
It's like walking through a deep puddle of mud. You're slow, tired, things are difficult, but everywhere you look, there's more mud. And you walk towards the nearest patch of land, but it never seems to come any closer. Hopefully, you do get out. And you think you're fine, like that difficult, painful past has left you until you look down and realize you're covered in mud stains. Depression never really leaves you.
Anonymous
like nothing. sometimes you feel nothing, sometimes you feel everything. it really depends on you though, if you read some tumblr post on people who "actually have depression" act and you don't have all those symptoms don't stress about it! everyones different.
Anonymous
sometimes it feels like sudden sadness, over nothing or very small reasons, things you dont think would set you off, but for some reason do. sometimes its a lack of feeling. you want to be happy, you want to feel and laugh at the jokes your friends are telling, but you for some reason you cant explain, cant. it can be not feeling like cleaning, or enjoying anything, even getting out of bed. you might wanna try, but for some reason you cant sometimes its a cloud in your chest. with every breath you feel it, and it can be suffocating. sometimes it hurts. its sadness and pain and crying and tears it can be no motivation to do anything. what you need to, what you love to do.
Anonymous
People believe you just feel sadness. In actuality, it is a combination of numbness and sadness. You feel numb to your surroundings, someone insults you but your only emotional reaction is numbness not anger or frustration
StayStrongNeverLoseHope
Depression is when you feel lonely and lost, you feel worthless, like no one cares or understands you. The whole world is crashing down on you, your mind is all over the place, you can't focus, you have no motivation, bad thoughts invade your mind to the point that you start to believe what it tells you. It feels like you're drowning, like nobody is able to help you. Anxiety is feeling worried and scared constantly, you're worrying about what people are saying about you, you're panicking over things that might not even matter. It's a horrible feeling, your heart starts to beat faster, your body just melts, you can feel the blood rushing around, and you start to shake and you can't get over it, and it's constant. It's even harder when people don't understand you or when you really want it to stop, but it doesn't.
FelipeAG
Depression is actually a very serious illness. It's very important to talk about your problems with someone and to receive treatment with a professional if it's necessary as soon as possible depending of your condition. To accept you have depression is something really brave, to accept it is to challenge it to become someone who is fighting and finding a journey to discover ourselves and our own strengths and love. The most important thing is to keep hope really high, it's always a light.