What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Innoncentflower
It's not the greatest thing in the world.it's like feeling sad and scared all the time and no one understands you.
Anonymous
When you look at your favorite passions and hobbies, you feel like not doing it anymore and you feel less interested with it, You feel tired, you feel sluggish and you feel hopeless in life, like it has no meaning to you anymore, You feel as if things just seem so wrong, everything irritates you and it makes you feel negative about it, when you look around it's like life is moving in a slow motion, no matter how hard you concentrate on something, you just can't focus on it, you feel like you're trapped in your own mind, drowning yourself repeatedly without dying, you have recurring thoughts of suicide and death. Your senses feel dull and it's like your body is just a shell and you are a sad soul hiding in it. when you laugh you feel as though you're just laughing, not really a real laugh, you barely eat or eat a lot than before, you will self loath too. That's how depression feels like :/
Anonymous
sometimes it feels like sudden sadness, over nothing or very small reasons, things you dont think would set you off, but for some reason do. sometimes its a lack of feeling. you want to be happy, you want to feel and laugh at the jokes your friends are telling, but you for some reason you cant explain, cant. it can be not feeling like cleaning, or enjoying anything, even getting out of bed. you might wanna try, but for some reason you cant sometimes its a cloud in your chest. with every breath you feel it, and it can be suffocating. sometimes it hurts. its sadness and pain and crying and tears it can be no motivation to do anything. what you need to, what you love to do.
Anonymous
Depression feels like there's a demon inside of you eating it's way out. There's a little bug inside you're ear telling you you're worthless and will never do anything right.
insightfulCreature77
Tired all the time/overwhelmed a lot/angry over the tiniest things/crying in the shower/ telling everyone I can't come out/and SO lonely
Anonymous
You can't really have a pinpoint answer for this. Overall, it's a really dreadful feeling. Although you can mask it up with a smile and some laughs, throughout the day you just feel like crap. You feel tired all the time and everything just makes you nervous. It's like walking in a forest for years and years and all the owls and birds are staring down at you.
Anonymous
It's like something really heavy always keeps pushing you to the ground, so you just lie down and accept the weight on you chest, struggling with every breath. And though you really don't care, at the same time you care so much it eats you alive.
Thebablefish
to me it sometimes means feeling nothing at all and it hurts, no matter how hard you try to be happy you cant seem to even if your closest friends are with you it doesn't seem to work. It means you are tired all the time and just want to sleep though your thoughts keep you up until midnight. You want to cry randomly and feel the need to hide under a desk sometimes if things get too intense. Even if you have a good day it can hit randomly in the middle of a laugh with your friends you are hit with sadness that makes the laughter fade into nothing.
Letschat9
And empty cup unable to be filled, feeling alien in your own skin, alone and afraid of yourself and the world.
reliableApple5869
Like nothing does or ever will matter. Depression is like sinking through every single day and night ,isolated and alone, even when you're surrounded by people. It's wanting everything to end and not having to feel the grief anymore. It's knowing you'll never be happy again.
lyricalscarf32
depression feels like a pit. a hole in your heart and brain, it feels heavy and like its a 100lbs weight just dragging you down.
Anonymous
It feels like loosing all hope. Sometimes suicidal thoughts come to your mind in extreme conditions.
Anonymous
You can't describe it 😪
StevensLion
It's not a great experience. It sucks the life out of you. It makes everything in life seem hopeless, pointless and not worth it. Everything is painful and you're always down no matter what. If you can manage to pull yourself up, it's not for long. Sometimes you're just empty and you don't feel anything.
silverSound86
Depression and anxiety makes one very vulnerable and unable to make life enhancing decisions. The focus turns to immediate short term decisions which may not be helpful in the long term. They both clog decision making process and blurs clarity. The focus becomes on the individual and the outside world is seen as a threat many times. It leaves the person stressed and affects his/her overall contribution to society.
Anonymous
Separately they're bad enough. Together, it's like I am either worried sick or too apathetic for words.
TheGavin
Imagine being in a dark room, the door is locked and you have to find your hope is this sinister room. But you must be careful. Because false hope is waiting for you to grab a hold on to it.. waiting to show you where the light switch is only to show you that the hope you heard was only your imagination... Now you sit there, in this room with your worst enemy, waiting for this door to open. That is what depression feels like....
Anonymous
depression feels different to everyone, to me it feels like I have no energy, it causes me to feel like a zombie, I walk around and look like me but on the inside i have no feeling.
Anonymous
Depression can show in many ways, but it often feels like a constant struggle to keep your head above water. It's as if every little task feels like a huge obstacle.
Anonymous
Depression feels like you and the world are nothingness. That nothing can't be felt or experienced which leaves you sad and wanting. You want to go out and be with people and have fun but there is no drive or motivation, it's just a nice idea. All you really want to do is be alone in silence without thinking or doing anything.
Finishwellson
Each day I mourn the loss of my prior self. I retrace the steps that led to the period when this beast cemented into be being, trying to make sense of it, my way of fighting for myself. The Beast begins its work on me the second I wake. "You're supposed to be dead and gone. Each day you stay is an abomination. In fact, you should never have been born." And at the end of a day of battle .. What's left is all I have for my kids. Others think I am weak and pathetic so I keep to myself and suffer in silence, all day, all night. All these years .. And the memories of before are stolen, one at a time. Soon I will have little to no memory of before. I miss living life. It's not supoosed to be this way.
apulley618
My body aches like I have the flu but I know I don’t. I feel tired, drained, and achy all over. I keep asking myself what is wrong with me, why can’t I just snap out of it, even though I already know the answer. I didn’t sleep well at all last night I kept waking up to a pool of my own sweat. I am so hot that I can’t keep the covers on me but as soon as I take them off I’m freezing cold, it’s a horrible feeling. I could barely find the motivation to get out of bed this morning to go to work and I love my job. I feel I am beginning to hate my job forcing myself to get up and go, which in turn makes me extremely anxious because I cannot afford to lose my job. Also, how do you even explain that to your employer that you are so depressed you can barely make it to work, it’s sad and embarrassing and I feel they wouldn’t even believe me if I told them. One thing with depression is you become a very great actor; you try and make people believe you’re happy so they don’t see the sadness. Also, it’s a sadness that I can’t explain, it’s a feeling of sadness even though nothing has happened to make me sad, I can’t explain it or make it go away. What is even worse is having anxiety and depression at the same time. It’s an overwhelming sadness and overwhelming fear all at the same time. I am torn between worrying about life and dreading life. It’s like I am standing in a crowded room screaming for help and not a single person even looks my way. To me anxiety is the worse of the two. It cripples me in fear, with a feeling of not being able to breath and sweating so much that my body is drenched. The fear makes me isolate myself from everyone, with this overwhelming feeling of being judged, which in turn makes me feel so alone. I feel as if no one cares about me like I am all alone in this. It is taking everything I got not to cry right now while I am sitting at work. It’s so embarrassing I can’t stand it. I feel like such a loser even though I know I am strong. It’s been hours and I still can’t shake this feeling. I feel shaky, light headed, and I keep feeling like I am going to throw up. I am so hazy I can barely focus; it’s like being in a bad dream. I’m exhausted and have no motivation, I just want to lie in bed and never get out.
Anonymous
It sucks. A lot. But it's also how you deal with it that truly matters. For myself, I learned how to live and cope with my depression and anxiety by finding things in life that make me content. When I have anxiety I begin to play a song in my head and listen to the tune to keep me grounded. I also found that talking to someone or even singing helps keep me from tipping over the edge to anxiety. I also found that breathing in deeply and just relaxing helps as well.
Aey
its like you're drowning and no one is around you, you try to fight it but you never survive it. Then you chock more and you just want it to stop, you want to feel okay again, you want to feel safe, you feel like you need a home.
Anonymous
Super difficult. Sometimes it leads you to overthink. Like you are feeling worthless, alone, unloved, and many different negative feelings. And to be honest, being depressed is really hard to overcome.
Anonymous
It feels like there's an elastic band round your brain every time you get frustrated. It skews the way you think and everything seems unclear. Your eyes hurt, you can't really think about anything.
Anonymous
For me my anxiety was because I had depression. I used to get BAD, really bad panic attacks which made me more awful about myself, which let to the thoughts of ending my life. I used to feel hopeless and numb. Even though I was with people, I felt like I was in some sad island all by myself. Lost interest in everything I used to love, to feel something I used to try harming myself and slowly it became an addiction. having depression is not something you want to be. Having depression is not the same as feeling blue, sad or feeling depressed due to some small or big factor. When you are under the nets of depression, it is hard to come out because there is this thing in your mind where it keeps on telling you that you are not good, you are awful, nobody likes you and so. It is awful being depressed.
Jasmineh2000
awful, its one of the worst things ever, you constantly feel down and judged and you lose all your friends by it eventually
thatfangirlyouknow
Depression feels like a weight pulling you down everywhere you go. The sadness always lurks in the back of your mind when you are happy and it always comes out to bug you. You don't want to wake up every morning. You will become engulfed in your sadness and it can lasts months or even years. Anxiety is just as bad. Waking up in the morning and stressing over every little thing. Double checking everything to make i=sure its all fine. Constantly bouncing your leg up and down, picking the skin of your fingers, biting your nails, sweating, repeating things in your mind, over thinking, shaky speech, a fear of messing up. They certainly aren't fun.
Anonymous
It seems like the world around you is collapsing, darkness has taken over you, your heart is sinking in a deep deep pit and it seems like there will never be a way out and that you might just... die. I have battled with depression. Currently I am depressed in regards to work stress and I feel like this is the moment to express exactly what I feel truthfully. However, I am not going to fall for the neagtivity that is pulling me down. I will get up and fight! I will not let myself down! Myself needs me and if I lose myself how am I going to attain my goals. I want to achieve so much! I want to travel the world! So I am just going to take a deep breathe, think about my blessings, thank God for them, forgive all who brought misery to me. Then I will smile, yeah that's a natural smile right there! Now I feel so much better! Hoorah! :D