What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Weallarebeautiful
You feel unwanted. Your always nervous. You feel like everybody is against you. Your always worried.
Anonymous
It feels like a heavy anchor beneath you that you cannot move. Whenever you think, it is there. It makes you think everything is pointless and shallow
7cupsofteaMelanie
March 23rd, 2016 4:54am
It's like having a bad day but everyday. The feeling you get when you lose your job, you get dumped, or something that makes you unhappy, that's how you feel everyday. You can't control it, but it controls you.
Skygivesyoulight
Like you're lost. Empty inside. Don't know how to express your emotions. Loss of interest. Feeling like you don't want to live.
SaelbenNoa
Depression feels like emptyness, lack of purpose, will to live and future, like standing in middle of nothing with nowhere to go, and nowhere to begin. Anxiety is more of panic and being unsure about something, but not knowing why and then panicking and wanting to scream and so on.
stargazer3118
It feels isolating, lonely, scary and overwhelming. It feels like everything you're worrying about is the be-all and end-all of all things but at the same time you're worrying irrationally but it's hard to convince yourself to not worry because what if, just what if whatever you're worrying about might actually be something to be worried about?
Anonymous
It's like your drowning, you're screaming for help but no one can hear you. You're looking up and you can see people in your life who are happy and you wish you were like them and not you. Some days things seem fine until a voice in your head reminds you that it isn't fine, nothing ever really is. You begin to lose hope and the days all seem to blend into a blur, your friends notice something's wrong and try to help you but they don't know how. Even though things seem bad now eventually things get better, even if your sink a little you'll remember how to float again.
Anonymous
Its like being inside a burning skyscraper.Staying in it will kill you and the only other option you can think of is to jump out of the window.
Anonymous
In all honesty, just having one of them sucks. Having both together, is miserable. Your moods vary depending on the day, and the slightest thing can set you off. It's horrible. But there are others who are going through the same thing and can help. You are not alone, that is the important thing to remember.
AnxiousKitten
Being diagnosed with both, it is extremely hard and very confusing. A lot of the time I feel empty. A lot of the time I'm bored. I either cry myself to sleep or pass out after having a major panic attack. But it gets better. They are both treatable.
Anonymous
Depression is like going through life like you're trying to wade through water. Everything feels sluggish, slow, difficult, and if you make one wrong step you'll trip and drown. Anxiety is the feeling that rushes through your chest when you are about to miss a step on the staircase or you catch your foot on a crack in the pavement, and you think, for a moment, you are going to fall. it is that feeling, but constant.
becca2000
It's caring too much and too little. It's being unable to get out of bed and then panicking about your lack of progress. It's 3pm panic attacks and 3am sobbing uncontrollably. It's wanting to die but being scared as hell. It's the worst thing imaginable.
Anonymous
For depression it feels like you don't matter in this world anymore and no matter what you feel like doing to make it better you always feel or imagine that it's of no use. As anxiety is where you're so nervous about the future that you never think outside the box and are fine with being mediocre, in other words it's called being scared of the uncertainty of the future.
zoelistening
It can be difficult because they are very contradictory illnesses, at least for me. Depression makes me not want to do anything, but anxiety makes me want to do everything all at once. For example, I will know I have a 6 page paper to write for a class. My depression makes me sit in my bed all day feeling sorry myself and not willing to do any work, yet the entire time my anxiety is eating away at me, giving me spouts of panic attacks regarding my lack of progress on the paper. I believe with enough practice one can learn to manage both of these illnesses, it just takes experience and self-awareness :)
Jenniiy
Anxiety is the fear of failing and overthinking everything. Depression is the feeling of emptiness and fear. Having both is weird because you can't do anything right in your opinion. You overthink everything again and again but still feel empty. So sometimes you don't even know how you feel.
skylei37
Having depression and anxiety feels like there's a rock blocking your view of the horizon. It drains your power and it deprives you of the happiness that you deserve.
BessyB
It's like wanting to do everything but wanting to do nothing at all It's like wanting to score high on a test but not having the energy to study It's being afraid to lose your best friends but not having the energy to hang out with them It's sitting in your bed at 3AM worrying about the future you don't even want to have
DipityEnigma
Some people may get offended by this question, especially since a lot of the stuff can be found online. There's not really any set way to explain it, except that it's not something that you would want to have. There's information easily found online but if you want information without having to do your own research, these links should be helpful: Depression - https://www.7cups.com/depression-help-online/ and Anxiety - https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/ I hope this information is useful to you.
NickManUtd92
The feeling of depression is hard. Probably the most challenging emotion to work through. You get to a point where you are far down in the hole that you can't see the light. The hardest part, getting out of that hole. You start making progress upwards but there are so many things that knock you down. It's also tempting to just lay down and sulk in your misery because it's easier to deal with. Anxiety I would say is the most confusing emotion someone can feel. I find it hard to explain since there is suck a wide variety of things you can feel while having anxiety. You can feel insecure, paranoid, fearful, or confused. You can feel all of those things at the same time.
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety are two different things and can work together or apart. As coming from someone whom has overcome both i'd gladly explain my personal experiences. Depression is like this deep pit in your stomach caused by anything under the sun, maybe your dog died or maybe you didn't pass your test. the pit of sadness is always there and seems to never go away... maybe you're having a good day? but when you're not busy it's like the depression comes back. Anxiety feels like you're constantly on edge or nervous about something. depending on what your anxiety is about it feels like anything could trigger an attack. The fear of something not going the way you want or plan it to be can cause so much anxiety that can break someone down. Hope this helps!
RollingTide
Every day is a battle within yourself. A war waged from the darkest places covering you like a thick, wet, dark, blanket, while you run thru an avalanche of jagged ice and snow with your insides burning like the fires of hell as the concussion of bombs pounds every inch of your body. But thru that darkness, you see it, a pin prick of light which gives you a glimmer of hope as it speeds towards you getting brighter and hotter, only to realize, It was just another BOMB.
Anonymous
Anxiety feels like having a little person inside you banging on your chest and never letting you relax or calm down. The little person makes it impossible for you to take control of your own thoughts. It takes your thoughts and makes them seem like 10x worse then they already are. It makes you feel like everyone else only sees the other person, and not you. You can never think things through and make things better for yourself without having an attack. You feel captive by the little person until you just give up and let them take over.
KawaiiP0tat0
Depression feels a little different to each individual. For me, it was like wanting to be happy and understanding that I had everything I needed to be happy, but being incapable of being happy regardless of what I did. And it didn't feel like that every single day. It did not mean that I never smiled - I was actually known for being a very cheerful person. And every now and then I'd have days when I would feel myself genuinely feeling but it was a very fleeting feeling. But once again it is different for everyone and also depends on the severity of their depression.
Smilekid0808
March 23rd, 2016 9:07pm
Depression often feels like a sadness so heavy, you can barely lift yourself from bed in the morning. You feel a lack of motivation to complete even regular, day to day tasks, and bigger projects can feel almost impossible. Sometimes you will feel withdrawn from the people in your life, and you will isolate yourself from them; you might not even have the desire to reach out and tell them you are feeling. It feels like emotional fatigue and exhaustion, like you are simply too tired to continue. But I promise, you absolutely can. Reach out to a listener on 7 cups, a family member, or a friend. Odds are, you're not alone.
Anonymous
Depression feels different for everyone, but for me it feels like a constant sadness, sinking feeling. Everything is dull and I cant imagine being happy again. You have good days but when you have bad days it can stop you from doing everyday activities for example, I may have somewhere to be but I don't have any energy to go there. Hope this helps
Mia7077Soul
Like , life is dark and empty , feeling worthless , unhappy , have no emotions for anyone or anything.
FelipeAG
Depression is actually a very serious illness. It's very important to talk about your problems with someone and to receive treatment with a professional if it's necessary as soon as possible depending of your condition. To accept you have depression is something really brave, to accept it is to challenge it to become someone who is fighting and finding a journey to discover ourselves and our own strengths and love. The most important thing is to keep hope really high, it's always a light.
StayStrongNeverLoseHope
Depression is when you feel lonely and lost, you feel worthless, like no one cares or understands you. The whole world is crashing down on you, your mind is all over the place, you can't focus, you have no motivation, bad thoughts invade your mind to the point that you start to believe what it tells you. It feels like you're drowning, like nobody is able to help you. Anxiety is feeling worried and scared constantly, you're worrying about what people are saying about you, you're panicking over things that might not even matter. It's a horrible feeling, your heart starts to beat faster, your body just melts, you can feel the blood rushing around, and you start to shake and you can't get over it, and it's constant. It's even harder when people don't understand you or when you really want it to stop, but it doesn't.
Anonymous
People believe you just feel sadness. In actuality, it is a combination of numbness and sadness. You feel numb to your surroundings, someone insults you but your only emotional reaction is numbness not anger or frustration
Euphrosyne
It's like walking through a deep puddle of mud. You're slow, tired, things are difficult, but everywhere you look, there's more mud. And you walk towards the nearest patch of land, but it never seems to come any closer. Hopefully, you do get out. And you think you're fine, like that difficult, painful past has left you until you look down and realize you're covered in mud stains. Depression never really leaves you.