What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
For me depression felt like a permanent night, were there was no light, no hope and no faith. It felt like it would never end.
marvelousMermaid87
Depression feels heavy. Trapping. It feels achy and tight and dull. It consume you and makes every single thing seem mundane or pointless. You worry about what others think of you, yet push them away because you are so sad and hurting so much. It is different for everyone, but it is something so painful that is curable.
majesticLight96
I was so hurt and bent out of shape several years ago, after many years of chosen singlehood, and the relationship ending abruptly! I obsessed about how foolish I had been, letting myself be used, and then dumped via text, ouch! It was a 6 month long distance relationship and I was falling for the other person. It was a painful loss. The depression was instant, but the self-care came immediately when I changed by phone number, the day of the break-up. I notice that friends who have had similar break-ups, tend not to do this at all, in the hopes, unconsciously, that maybe their lost beloved will call and want to get back together. This is the worst thing we can do, as our self-esteem hinges on letting another person define us as women and it can be very depressing. My own level of depression was deep at the time, and I was spiraling down with self-loathing. It was hard to get out of bed, and my anger was turned inward. I saw a counselor and that was very helpful. I also shared my sadness and grief with friends who were supportive. Depression comes in many forms, lack of interest in normal things...check! Lack of pleasure, check! Lack of energy and appetite and trouble sleeping, check! I had all of those symptoms. I found that movement, even walking, is an antidote for those symptoms. I think in addition to the physical, social and professional help, my faith in a loving higher power, really got me through! Anyone who suffers from depression, and we all do at some point in our lives, would get through it with less trauma, (there's no way around it) by reaching out, as well as within. Sometimes medication is required, and there is no shame in that. Whatever it looks like, my message to you is to just get the help you need! Life is full of hellos and goodbyes, and a series and highs and lows. To me, the key is to not get too high or low, and nurture myself in the hard times, with support, meditation and prayer. I sure wish I had 7cups back then!!! Be Blessed and remember, it'll get better! Peace, Majestic.
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2017 8:02am
To me, depression feels like you're walking upstream through a current strong enough to pull you under 4 times over. There are others with you but they are walking along the banks, telling you to "just get out of the water." But instead of extanding hand to help, they just move on and leave you behind. Every once in a while, you find a rock that is strong enough for you to lean on, and you can rest for a bit. But the rocks always get tired of holding you up, and when they let go, you left drowning, thrown 50 ft back again. And nothing is harder than standing up in that current, when everything in you is telling you just how much easier things would be if you just let yourself get dragged under...
adventurousCoconut5536
Its like I have feelings of intense anxiety, sadness, guilt and fear, all at one time. Weird things set me off, like even sad sounding music from a kids show. I was lying down while my daughter watched monster high and the dramatic music brought out sad feelings but I couldnt pin down any certain thing. Its like "toxic emotion soup".
xxivcrey
it's actually hard to explain..it is as if you're surrounded of dark clouds and you don't have any idea when will it move and clear out..same as having anxiety, its like as if your a time bomb, any second you'll explode, any second you'll blast. It's hard to explain actually.
Anonymous
Hell. It's hell. You don't want to leave the house, because you are afraid that you'll have an attack in public. You are constantly scared that you will have to talk to someone, and that's just the anxiety. Depression is like drowning, and no one around you notices.
Mayaisthename
It's all different, it depends on you really, but make sure you not comparing yours to others.
Anonymous
different for everyone. the dictionary definition would give you a more general definition but it is still affected by individual difference even if everyone with depression/anxiety have the same symptoms.
kthanks
Its like your stuck in the ground and cant get out, and the more you struggle to get out, the farther you get in. Then people will laugh at you because they've never felt what it's like to be stuck for 3 years
lovelystrings16
Anxiety means you are nervous about everything or anxious that something, maybe out of your control, will happen. Depression is hard and can make you think you failed at life and everything you do is terrible. They are different but they come hand in hand.
Anonymous
Having depression can often feel hopeless and kind of like you're drowning but at the same time, unable to sink. Having anxiety is worrying a lot, having lots of fear.
Anonymous
It almost feels like you're so mad at the world for being mad at you for not "fitting in" with society.
Miracle
Having depression and anxiety are experiences which will be different for every sufferer. So it is difficult to say it will be exactly like...... However there are some common core symptoms, suffering from anxiety can often be considered to be similar to the fear we feel in ordinary situations such as sitting a test, but magnified and prolonged to an excessive and unhelpful degree, so that it affects us on a day to day basis. Depression however is usually in that symptoms can be of opposite extremes eg. Not wanting to eat or overeating, or not being able to sleep or sleeping as much as possible, however the defining characteristic is a depressed mood and lack of motivation more common than persistant sadness though is apathy.
Anonymous
From my personal experience with Depression and Anxiety together is hard to put into words due to it being so many feelings and past scares that its a drawn out ordeal. At times you never know what is waiting for you when you walk out of your safety net (Home) and go out and deal with the issues that blow up and bite us in the buts. I have been in recovery for 7+ years and still have issues that pop up and trigger me but with the Recovery Center Training and class's I took helped me deal with the issues in a fast and timing manner.
ray99
Depression and anxiety is very hard. Something i struggle with today. you feel like you're drowning and no one can save you.
Anonymous
It feels like you're on a beach and all this sudden you close your eyes for a minuet but you wake up in the ocean underwater, you want to get up for air but you can't, thats what depression is like partly.
soulbuddy251
Depression is submitting to fear and loss of love, a void that consumes you till nothing seems worth doing or living for. Anxiety consists of fear to nearby events due to worry of failure or lack of preparation that could shorten your breath, raise your heart rate, and confound your thought process making the actions for the future events near impossible.
Anonymous
It's almost like being swallowed by an incredible invisible force. It's frustrating and we find our brains doing things that seem crazy to us. We wonder why on earth something so "small" was such a big deal. It's a dark hole. Very unpleasant.
TheDarkestDarkness
It feels like being stuck in your own head. You can't get out, no matter how hard you try. You fight and stuggle, but it always seems like you're losing that fight.
Anonymous
Having Depression is like Feeling numb all the time. You don't care about anything or anyone. You don't want to get up in the morning to go to school or like doing anything at all. But having anxiety is caring about everything to much, worrying about everything. Wondering if what you said was right, if they are going to like you or if you just annoy everyone aound you.
Laradcl
It feels like everyone around you is moving forward in their lives and you are stuck in the same position. Wanting to move but being unable to, being held back by the little voices inside your head. While everyone expects you to be great you are unable to fulfill your dreams
NMalmstrom
It feels like drowning with no chances to get out of the water, everything blacks out, it takes so much energy like swimming in ocean for hours searching for island.
Truth0615
The feeling of being alone and the constant worrying that something bad will happen and that there is not solution or help from anyone else.
AcornCactus
At the same time, it's the extremities of your sympathic/parasympathetic systems against eachother. One part of you doesn't want to get up and go to school and wants to cry and sleep, while the other freaks out about the assignment that might be missed and they classes they might fail
Anonymous
From personal experience, I know a lot about this subject. Having depression and anxiety at the same time is something extremely difficult. It's like worrying about everything (anxiety) and not caring about about anything (depression) at the same time
Anonymous
for every person it's different. but anxiety makes you over feel and panic over anything and sometimes everything. When to me depression does the opposite it makes you numb and you loose care for a lot of things.
Anonymous
In all honesty it can be absolutely brutal. I still have anxiety but it used to be a lot worse. I felt incompetent at times with my ability to meet new people and always being afraid of bugging them. Then I also felt lonely and betrayed from my parent's divorce making a very dangerous mixture. I eventually realized that it doesn't help me or anybody else to wallow in what I think is 'wrong' with myself. So I decided that I needed to change my attitude and build up my self-esteem that had been destroyed. It took time and wasn't easy, but after finally relying on my friends and doing countless 'small' exercises I believe I changed for the better. I still sometimes have problems with both; but I don't let it control me and immediately get the support and help I need.
peacefulCat41
Having depression and anxiety can feel like nothing can go right and the world is out to get you. But when you step back, you see that it is just emotions making you feel this way, and there are plenty of people waiting to help you if you just ask, many of which are feeling the same thing.
Anonymous
It's like you're underwater trying to swim to the surface, but there's something holding onto you, pulling you down, preventing you from breathing.