What does it mean when my heart beats really fast when I walk into a crowded room?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

mirielleeden
This could be a sign of anxiety induced by crowds or lots of people. While it is difficult, it can be easy to manage with the right help and support. Not everyone gets anxious from the same things and not everyone has the same symptoms so talking to your doctor or a therapist is always a good idea. Feeling this way can be very stressful but there’s always a way to get help even through online resources. Never hesitate to call a hotline for your anxiety or even just talk to a friend. I wish you the very best.
Anonymous
Anxiety might be the cause of the heart palpitations. Social occasions can be a very stressful experience and makes my heart race sometimes. The amount of people in the room may also have an impact on your mental state. Going into a room, especially one such as this, may be uncomfortable. The social obligation that will be required of you is intimidating. Even the sheer numbers of people can make my anxiety rise. The people within may require something from you, such as something as normal as conversation. Or perhaps, they may want to ask you questions. Maybe they are just as uncomfortable with conversation as you are. There is many circumstances that you could experience, causing your anxiety to have physical symptoms.