What does it mean when you get nervous for no reason?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

presocratics
Usually when people ask this question they mean to say that they get nervous for no good reason or for no apparent reason, because every feeling is caused and therefore has a reason for occurring. In some cases, a person might be generally anxious about almost everything. In other cases, something within the person's environment or some thought or memory triggers the nervous reaction. In still other cases, a person might be experiencing side-effects from a medication or is depleted of physiological resources.
Anonymous
Your brain is trying to trick you. You see the brain is like a monkey, continuously chattering. So in order to shut it up, give it work, or simply observe your breath. It'll stop
superpoppy14
This could be a sign of anxiety. Try talking to a friend, family member or someone you trust. You can also talk to your doctor who can refer you to counselling or give you tips on how to handle your nerves.
Tiffany88
You are experiencing anxiety. It may indeed be for no reason but it is probably for a reason you are not consciously remembering or thinking of.
Anonymous
Deep down inside when you are stressed about something and get worried or feel restless. then these are symptoms of anxiety. In my opinion, when you are feeling anxious then talk to someone and tell him/her your problems if that doesn't ease you up then talk to a counselor or psychiatrist. (You may be having anxiety disorder) So when you are anxious, the best thing to do is to talk with someone you trust.
BeccaRose11
When you get nervous for no reason, it means you have anxiety. You could have anxiety that was inherited by family, trama, or even low blue sugar and your diet itself.
Anonymous
It's called anxiety and don't fret millions suffer from it. Do some research and see if you follow up with any of the related symptoms and tell a doctor this and have him prescribe medication if it interferes with your daily life
SilentSerenityy
It sounds more like anxiety, which can trigger at random points for no particular reason. You may want to check out the anxiety guide we have here.
Anonymous
It could mean that you are having a panic attack. Anxiety can pop up at random times and it's very unpredictable.
AngelFace97
There is always a reason as to why we feel a specific way.It just means that we need to think long and hard about what the reason/cause is and how we can deal with it.
Anonymous
You might have anxiety, you should speak to a therapist if it gets so bad that it interferes with your daily life
GiaPanda
It could be anxiety? Not necessarily but being nervous and in panic all/most of the time is one of the major symptoms
Anonymous
That you potentially have anxiety unknown to yourself which could explain why you think it happens for no apparent reason
randables
Anxiety of course! Often times our mind manipulates us into thinking of every possible negative outcome that could happen. During those times, we shouldn't let the devil on our shoulder down talk us. It's always important to remember that our feelings are not always the facts. Try to prove that negativity wrong! :)
brightJoy72
This question really strikes a negative chord in me. When I get nervous for no reason it's probably conditioned response. Some call it intuition. This is a very unpleasant feeling. I can't ignore it. I can't in-ignore it. Grounding myself at that moment by recognizing things for as they are helps along with taking five deep relaxing breaths.
dropinanocean
You're worried about something deep inside that you can't really explain at the moment. You should try to explain why you feel nervous. This helps you to understand what's going on.
Anonymous
I don't think that we get nervous for no reason. Always need a reason, we need to stop and think why did we get that way.
chatterbug
That you might be experiencing anxiety or something that is quite little may be worrying you more than you think it should.
TakeMeToWxnderland
I think you are anxious about the outcome. Sometimes we stress over things that aren't in our own hands. We think the worst of ourselves/ a situation. Sometimes you just have to let things go. " why would you swim when you can surf " just let things happen and go with the flow
ListenMoreTalkLess
Anxiety and nervousness are common emotions that we experience. However, sometimes they can be severe and negatively impact our lives. In this case, anti-anxiety medication and/or therapy may be beneficial.
ScorpioSun11
It means that you may have anxiety about something. This could be anxiety about something that you are specifically experiencing in that moment, or something that you are anticipating, whether it is certain to happen or not.
Anonymous
it mean we got anxiety. Normally we got nervous because we think about some things that we are afraid of too hard.
Redtiger01
I would say it's anxiety, but I don't think people get nervous without a reason. Technically, our subconscious mind always has a reason.
Anonymous
It could mean nothing. But it is possible you may suffer from anxiety. Anxiety will cause you to worry and be nervous even when there's absolutely no reason to.
lacedaniellehelp17
Anxiety. Anxiety can be triggered by so many things. It's best to seek medical help or write down things that make you feel nervous and see if that triggers the random nervousness.
Anonymous
Perhaps your subconscious is worried about something. At times, you won't want to consciously face an issue and try to push it out of your mind. However, that doesn't mean the issue is gone. It's still there and your subconscious is still aware of it. Consequently, you'll feel nervous about something without consciously being aware of it. Usually, I try to be honest with myself and directly approach and recognize what is causing me anxiety.
Anonymous
If you get nervous for no reason, it could be anxiety. It could also just be nerves. I too get nervous in random situations. I try to calm myself down and forget about what is making me nervous.
PeacefulFruit
It doesn't mean anything! It's just the way you are. It's a perfectly normal way to be. In fact if you can accept that it's totally normal to be nervous, then you won't be as nervous anymore! The biggest problem with fear is the fear of becoming afraid! When you can love your fear and accept as part of you then it isn't a problem and it only add character to your lovely personality!
Anonymous
It means you probably have Anxiety. I personally know how that feels, it gets better. The first step is talking to someone
FriendlyKitten
You may be passing throught an anxiety episode so that your body is overreacting for stimuli that would normally be no great deal, but it is for you. It's hard to tell more without knowing more details, but I hope it helped!