What if I am not good at what I love to do?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

Anonymous
You will never know unless you try. If you love to do it, you can practice until you're great at it.
Nsquared15
As long as you love doing what you are doing, you shouldn't care about whether or not you are good at it. Stressing yourself about something like that does nothing but cause, well, stress. Misplaced stress that should be used in other environments.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2016 7:17am
There is no such thing as being good or not, it's all depend on how long you have been doing it. Go do it, don't let the fear of being good or perfect keep you from doing things that you love.
keirashepherd123
March 23rd, 2016 8:31pm
It doesn't matter if you are not good at it. If you love it you should carry on. If it makes you feel good then carry on. But as soon as it makes you feel upset or nervous stop.
KateK8Kate
Doing what you love to do is about YOU. If it makes YOU feel good, then you're good at it in my eyes. I'm not very good at crochet, but I love to do it anyway. I feel good when I'm making something, and that's more important than how it turns out.
carlier231
If you love it, then continue doing it! Life is too short to not enjoy what you do. And who knows, maybe you'll get better at it :)
alwaysJoy
As long as you love to do it and it makes you happy, keep doing it! Plus, more practice will help you get even better at it.
Yourfairygodbro
Well if what you love to do is moral and makes you happy then you should focus on enjoying doing it and let yourself improve as you go. You could take example from others and try to improve in the same way they did. As long as you keep researching and practicing, you're bound to improve over time. If you just say "I'm not good" and end it there then you won't ever improve. Also, you should be happy for others success along with your own in what you're trying to do even if it's set up like a competition. Realize how much progress you've already made, treat others on the same path fairly and kindly and then you'll be able to get ahead without as much bitterness.
maskedshadow
if you love it, then you will work hard at it and if you work hard at it you will be good at it success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
YellowDaffies
"Being good" is so subjective. "Being good" at something can mean that you give it your heart and jump in with the love you have for it. So maybe the answer to to redefine "being good".
Anonymous
Continue anyway. If you love it, and you practice, you'll get better. And if it makes you feel happy and good, then definitely continue.
Anonymous
April 2nd, 2016 2:33am
Keep doing it! Practice does make perfect, and if its something that you love, go ahead! People should be able to do whatever they like in life, regardless of skill.
lipsticklez
Practice a lot have someone who is good help you with the problems they see Stay focused and DO NOT GIVE UP*
WillemvdWetering
I would try to accept that I am not good at it, but still just enjoy that thing. I don't have to be good at something to do something I enjoy in life!
Malte
If it is something you love it doesn't matter if you are good at it or not. The most important part is that you enjoy it.
nrigaud
Keep trying. Keep fighting. Eventually, you'll get better. I love my major and no, it's not what I'm best at, but I intend to keep trying and fighting tooth and nail until I get there. You can too :)
Anonymous
I've learned that I just have to juggle my career and my hobbies to make time for what I love to do whether or not I'm good at it. And as a hobby, I'm learning to do what I love with no shame - even if it means dancing like a scared chicken in the dance studio! It's never too late to improve and gain skills you've never had!
BreAnna5
Practice! If you love it,you have the desire to devote time to it.This will in turn make you more progressive!
calmRose33
I guess if you dont try it out you will never know maybe try it and see if your good at it im sure you will be great at it
mb81
First, it is important to distinguish between loving the process of doing something and loving the result of doing something. If you love the process, then the joy is simply in doing it regardless of what happens as a result (i.e., renown, money, etc.). If you truly are in this camp, then it should not matter if you aren't very "good". You'll enjoy doing what you're doing. That being said, there is a far narrower gap between having great talent and having no talent than people realize. Consistent pursuit of a skill usually wins out, regardless of initial ability. So don't worry that you aren't yet very good at what you love to do -- if you genuinely love the process, it shouldn't matter. And if you don't, then there's a good chance you don't really love it -- what you may love is simply the idea of the result.
SenpaiXD
In life, there are people who are talented and there are people who work hard. Yes, you might hear this before. But the universal trait to success is hard work. Through vigorous hard work, never giving up attitude and repetition, hence why the light bulb was created. And you can do, by doing what you love and keep doing so. : )
Aquadreamer4151
if you love it do it. do not second guess your ability. i love basketball doesn't mean i am going to play in the wnba just means i wish to participate in basketball where possible
purpleidea777
Not everything has to be done for an audience. If you love to do it, that can be enough. Do some things for you.
disconsolate
you can always learn. allow yourself to be a beginner. progress, not perfection. practice a LOT. and never stop learning. no one is excellent the first time. if you love what you do, fight for it. if you can't go a day without thinking about it. never give up on it.
EmilijaS
That's natural, no matter how cruel and heartless this answer of mine must sound. But if you are not that good at the things you want to do, why would that be the reason to stop doing them? You don't need to make profit or get acknowledgment for that, just do what makes you happy for the sake of yourself.
Anonymous
Keep trying your hardest. If you love to do something, continue to do it. It doesn't matter if you are good or not, you love to do it, and if you want to continue, then continue to do it. It makes you happy, you love to do it.
Nosh
Who cares? Do you like doing it? yes? Than why does it matter? Just get out there and do what you love!
Viana
It is completely alright. Doing something you love should never look like a job but more like a hobby. You just have to try taking it step by step, seeing where you go wrong and finding the best solution. But remember, you shouldn't think of it as work, more like a refreshing activity.
Understandingfox
Then don't worry about it. If you love to do something, then being able to do it and get positive feelings out of it is the true reward. Passion in my opinion is more powerful than status or ability.
BatmanAtYourService
It's alright but that doesn't mean you should stop working towards it. Let the passion guide you to perfection. Nobody is perfect at anything. Just keep improving.