What if I am not good at what I love to do?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

TheGreyFixer
If you have found what you love, first of all, I would like to applaud you. It can take many people a long time to figure out, as strange as that may sound. Secondly, I would like to point out that no one gets anywhere without a large amount of hard work. Even these so-called "naturally talented" people you see around will have had to put in work to get where they are now. For some, it's easier than for others. For those others, it can be a lot harder. Never give up on what you love. But don't feel like you have to stagnate, either. Seek new ways to get better at what you love. If it's art, or music, try a free life-drawing class or join a group. If it's sports, find events to take part in or try out a new workout. If it's algebraic equations, find workbooks on the internet. The possibilities are endless. But don't let yourself be downcast because you're comparing yourself to others or having trouble progressing. If you're doing it because it makes you happy, just do it.
mindfulBeing92
Take it as a lesson learned. There is always time to learn a new trade, and to find a new passion that may be relative to what you previously had wanted.
Lina16
You don't have to be good at something to enjoy it. Having fun is a lot more important that being good at something. :)
BlueSky101
Well, you have to keep trying to be better. Expert in anything was once a beginner! You will - mostly - fail in the beginning. But eventually, you will be good (very good probably) at what you love to do!
Anonymous
If you don't like one of the things your interested try another of your interest and find a way you can approach it in a different way.
Anonymous
We will always put more effort into what we love doing, because love is passion and passion is fuel. Even if you do not start out good, you will become good or even excellent. no one starts perfect at what they love doing, but it is the fact that they love it, that makes them work for it and sooner or later excel! Believe in yourself and follow your passion :)
thisrideisawildone
Recognise why you feel that you aren't good at it - chances are it is just your personal perception, and whether you are good or not is subjective anyway. If you enjoy what you are doing, and have a passion for it - that is the most important thing. Passion is rare, and doing something you love helps so so much. Don't give that up because you feel you may not be good enough - because you always are good enough.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2016 11:28am
If you love to do it, then you should keep doing it.If it makes you happy, dont let it go.Success comes after fails.
booklover1224
No one is good at what they love right away. Try your best and take it one step at a time. Practice, not just instinct, is what makes you good at something.
AbraxasM
If you love doing something, it doesn't matter are you good at it or not as long as you're happy. :)
Anonymous
If you love to do something then you can do it very well in spite of others opinion. People always do thing they passioned about very well.
Anonymous
we are social being , we have some skills and qualities , sharp your edges and work hard what you love to do , i'm sure you will be successful.
TheFallenOne14s
many things we thought we really love and wasn't meant to be ours , at some point there will be one thing that we are really good at by nature or by hard work, that we truly love doing it
gabbyyyy
Still do it! Do what makes you happy because nothing else matters. And after some practice you will get better at what you love to do.
Anonymous
Always trust yourself in what you do if you love what you do all you need is the inspiration to keep pushing forward in what you love to do and excel on it.
ari88
Practice! This is the 21st century and most borders and walls have been torn down. You can do and be whoever you want. If you love to do something, work at it. You will get better. Persevere. If it's not meant to be, then you'll have to make peace and be content but if it is, you will get there.
Whitepeace20
Everyone has to start somewhere to get where they want, even if it is something you love to do. In other words, if you are not perfect at it, it is completely alright since you may still be in beginner/starting stages. Remember, keep practicing. Practice makes perfect. Also, don't lose hope :) You will get there someday. Like I said before, everyone has to start somewhere. Champions weren't just born champions - they weren't good at it in the beginning but they worked hard, they failed, they got back up and tried and tried and tried, again and again - that is what made them into champions. Don't give up and don't lose hope. You will make it :)
AlwaysKeepFighting56
You don't need to be good at something to make you happy. What do you look for when you're doing what you love to do? To enjoy? or to be good? If the answer is trying to be good, try all you can... but if you can't, is not the end of the world. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be good at something else!
Anonymous
Keep trying and trying until you succeed, there's no bad or good, you just try your best till you get to were you want to be xx
Jerome28
Doing what you love to do (positive constructive activities) promotes the creative flow experience. Peak experiences result, these are crucial for the self-actualization process. Accept yourself where you are, at whatever level of ability to you currently have. Then, when you work forward, also build skill at fostering the best creative spirit you can.
EStreet578
I think everyone struggles at one time or another with thoughts that they are not good at what they love to do. Often, we can be our harshest critics and expect more than anyone else. Many times is not a matter of not being good, but rather the situation is not as bad as you think. It may help to take a step back and look at what you do from the outside in. Chances are, you are doing much better than you think.
Sassy001
If I wasn't good at what I love to do,I would try to find another way to enjoy it if possible.For example,If I love to play baseball,but wasn't good at it,I could look into coaching baseball or playing just for fun as a hobby or even playing a video game of baseball for fun.Sometimes with more training,practice or learning you can get better at whatever it is you love to do.Just because you don't succeed the first time at something,doesn't mean your a failure.If it was what I really love to do,I would get back up and try again.If there was a reason I just couldn't do it,like I wasn't physiically able,than I would try to find something else I love to do and was good at.
insightfulCreature77
You learn! From online sites and mentors on the job or in your field. Join networks to meet others in your field or with skills you want to improve on. Read, ask questions, volunteer with groups or people who can offer the experiences you need. And don't forget to thank the people who help you get where you want to be!
insightfulNatural90
Never give up hope . If you love something then do it with all your heart and you will be successful. Roald Dhal loved to write but his grades in English were low. But he ended up being one of the greatest children story teller. So never lose hope
Anonymous
Well like you said, it's something you love to do. It doesn't matter what other people think of you. If you love to do it, then do it however you want. Also if you don't think you're good enough at it just practice till you succeed.
MockingBird27
Does it really matter? You love what you do so you don't need in my opinion is be anywhere near good at it. It's for your own self's enjoyment. You shouldn't risk losing what you love to do just because you think you are no good at something. You'll definitely regret it if you do lose it, in the future.
Amourelle
I'll do my best to be good enough, I have enough years to live for so why keep on trying on something you love.
ams96
I know it sounds cliche, but practice makes perfect. If you love to do it, keep doing it. You can only get better!
wonderousBlueberry4
Practice makes perfect. So we just have to keep trying or use our skills in different ways in order to achieve our goals and to do what we love. We must put value in ourselves.
AzzyWasHere
It’s not always important to be amazing at what you love to do, what’s important is that you love to do it. If you do it enough, someday you can be great at it (practice makes perfect). It’s like playing an instrument. It’s such an incredible feeling to make music, but only crazy prodigies are good right off the bat. The rest of us have to work at it, but if you love it, then it’ll most definitely be worth it. So, don’t worry about not being good at what you love, the journey you take to becoming better at whatever you’re doing will make you love it even more.