What should I do if people think I am lying?

Jennifer Fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

exquisiteRainbows65
It doesn't really matter what people think, you should know that you are being truthful and that what really counts. They can keep their opinion to themselves and I believe truth always find its way to the surface sooner r later.
hopefulWhisper21
If people think you're lying, take the time to clearly explain yourself, without begging for their acceptance. You have to live for you, and not for others.
Anonymous
If people think you are lying, you have a couple of options. You can prove them wrong (using proof), or ignore them and let them think however they want. Usually if you have proof of whatever it may be, they will believe you.
OneMomentInHerPresence
May 23rd, 2018 1:46am
If people think you’re lying just keep saying that it’s the truth, over and over, and eventually they will realize. If there is any way to prove you aren’t lying you might want to do that. In addition try not to laugh. When you laugh people usually assume you’re lying even if you aren’t.
WoundSoother
If you're talking to someone face to face then use your body language to back you up. People will believe your body language for sure. Be yourself and state what you want to say at your best knowledge and be confident that regardless what people think you should feel comfortable that you only disclosed the truth.
generousRabbit93
you dont really have to prove anyone anything but if you want too try to get enough proof you can to prove your point
CyanSam
You cannot forcibly change what people will feel but there are ways to handle accusations in a way that protects yourself from having something like this spiral out of control. It's best not to lash out or counter-accuse. (ex."You all suck" and"I'm not lying, it's Jimmy whos lying) Keeping level headed can take you a long way. Maintaining a serious tone and face when addressing those accusations can also help. Being clear and sticking to the truth. If the above fails, it's time to start thinking about removing the accusers from your life. Deleting them off social media. Going no contact. Maintaining strict boundaries and finding people to support you. Being accused of a lie can range from a very simple miscommunication to a highly traumatic experiance in the right circumstance.
Anonymous
I think the best course of action if someone thinks I am lying is to first remember that to not take it personal-that will only make you become defensive and make this worse and what I would say is "You have the choice not to believe me but what I am saying I know to be true and I would not steer you wrong." That should be enough to speak your truth and also let the other person know that you have their best interest in mind. At the end of the day that is really the only thing you can do is be honest and true and people can take it or leave it.
katherine081902
I don't know the specific situation but I think if people think you are lying, self evaluate and ask yourself if you have given them any reason to think you are lying. Examine the situation and see if it is really worth arguing about or anything. If they are your friends, they should trust you unless you have given them a reason not to. If the case is that you have lied in the past and they don't trust your word, then show them through your actions you have changed or are trying to change if that's the case. If not, then there must be something else going on. Some people just don't trust others easily but that doesn't necessarily mean they would think you are lying. Ask them straight up why they think you are lying and if there is actual reasoning or if they just need time to trust you. I am the type of person who just needs time to trust someone and I can tell you from experience, the best thing to do in that case would be to give them time and show them you are trustworthy. I hope this helps. :)
blindvision
If people believe you are being dishonest, imagine as to how?? Lying is something everyone does; some small lies can lead to big changes. Sometimes, we consider the best thing to do is lie to spare a loved one's feelings or to stay out of trouble. However, in most cases, the truth is always found. If people assume you are lying, there might be a few reasons why: Have you lied to them before? Are they a distrusting person in general? Do they know a different truth? Has someone else told them you're a liar? A key to remember in all conflict resolutions is: a conflict cannot be resolved unless both parties are willing to resolve it. If they refuse to believe you are telling the truth, there may not be much you can do to immediately change their mind.
SmileyBear
Just tell them you are being honest and stick to it. Don't alter your story and say it with confidence. If they still believe your lying don't accept what they say about you, just trust yourself, know you're being honest and eventually they should come round.
Anonymous
Don't create an argument based on their assumption that you are lying. Understand that others may have difficulty understanding at times and realize that their lack of understanding is not entirely under your control. If you haven't explained something to the extent that you should have, that's under your control. If you're being cryptic, that's under your control. But if you answered to your capable entirety, it is not under your control.
VanessaGraceStory
If people think you are lying and you are not. Then be honest and tell them how you are telling the truth. Explaining a situation they assumed can be helpful if it causes any issues
Emotionalpez
Calmly explain your logic as to why they think you are lying. Rationalize within your own life why other may be thinking this way and be confident in your own decisions.
Teaandnotebooks
Tell the truth. Let them know that you are telling the truth. If others don't believe you the most important thing is to believe yourself. You know that you are telling the truth even if others don't and that can be really hard.
Anonymous
Explain why they should believe you. Also, do not exaggerate. It will make it easier to believe you.
softSugar91
You should not get agitated and explain that you aren't lying, and if they do not believe it, then so be it. You don't need to prove yourself to anybody.
ChrisToListen
Prove to them that you're not, and if you can't prove it and you have no reason to lie, explain to them that you have no reason to lie, and if they think you do, ask them what that would be. The big thing here is explaining yourself. If you explain yourself and yet they still accuse you of lying, especially if they're your friends, they aren't worth your time.
loyalCanine
There is nothing you can really do if people think that you are lying. If you attempt to persuade them of the truth without proof you may just harden their opinion. Rather if you are being honest I simply keep calm and take confidence in the knowledge that the truth will be known soon enough or that at least I know I was honest. Even if the truth never comes out I can take pride in my character for doing the right thing.
Anonymous
Reasure them that what i am telling them is the truth. Unless they have any other reason too believe i am lying theres no reason too carry on the discussion. If they do not stop i shall walk away
SoulHealing
Nothing, If you hold the truth you don't need to do anything. Sooner or later they will see your are truthful. Truth and goodness will always win
Anonymous
If people think you're lying, I guess the best thing to do is show evidence that you're not. And if there is no evidence or they simply aren't convinced, then maybe it's best to let them be. A lot of times people judge us and it's not even because of us or actions we did, sometimes it's about themselves. So I guess depending on how important it is for you to prove them you're not lying, I guess if it's not too relevant, maybe you could just ignore them.
JeffListens
Everyone is entitled to their own perspectives and opinions, so long as it is not affecting other people's lives. You can always start by confronting the person and you talk about the facts that concerns the situation. If you have explained everything and they are not convinced, there is nothing more that you can do, you don't have to prove yourself! you did your part and your true friends and families know what is true, cause true people who really knew you believe in you. :)
beju
Be confident about yourself. Self doubt is sometimes the cause for people thinking like this. The more confident you become the problem will go on becoming smaller and smaller.
whimsicalLove17
Show evidence and proof . Have people there as proof .. etc at what time and when, Give examples of where you were etc .. and what you were doing etc.
WatchingOverYou
You can have a talk (or several) with them (particularly with the closer ones), showing you're being honest and truthful, in the sense of hoping they'll understand your intentions and start believing in you.
NotAGod
November 22nd, 2017 2:43am
Nothing, not a thing. You don't have to prove yourself to anybody. However, this can be up to debate given your past actions. Did you lie countlessly before? If so, don't even bother asking that question. If not, don't even bother trying to convince them otherwise.
LittleMissJoy
December 22nd, 2017 2:58pm
If others seem to think that you are lying yet you have actually been honest then that’s there problem. As long as you are telling the truth then you are doing the right then. Sure they can try to do something to see if they can catch you lying but all their doing is wasting their own time.
December 22nd, 2017 10:37pm
This is very general statement and the answer depends on your past history with these people. You might want to find out why they think you are lying, it can give you a valuable clue.
Anonymous
What can you do? Beat them till they believe you? Not your fault if people choose not to listen to you. It is up to the person to decide what he does with information, one cannot force and idea upon another person. Speak your mind with clarity and it matters not who listens