What triggers random anxiety and panic attacks when nothing is going on?

Smita Joshi, BA Psychology / MA / Advanced EFT Practitioner

I am empathetic with my Clients going through emotional overwhelm and passionate in helping them. I am supportive, openminded & interactive in helping my clients.

Anonymous
Reminding your past memories and all sorts of bad things happened in past..and when u can't get out of it
Olivia1113
Well imagine that you are a coffee mug and every drop is a stressful moment. Even though at first a single drop seems like nothing, after some time goes by, it will overflow. For me, those little droplets don’t seem like much in the moment, but if you don’t get them off of your chest they will overflow.
Chynecheremsworld
Overthinking and being less busy and negative most people dont like to act on their decisions they only think about it and keep being delusional instead of realistic
Anonymous
The thoughts going on unconsciously in your head. It happens to me all the time, the random attacks that come out of nowhere.
Anonymous
Certain people who invade our own thoughts. Or seeing those same people in person or in itger people.
SJA18
anxiety and panic attacks can be triggered by things that you see, think or feel in that moment that remind you of a time where you were most anxious or panicked. using coping strategies and consulting your GP would be a great support for you as they can help reduce the severity of the attacks and assist you find out what the cause of the attacks are.
ArcaneSystem
Panic attacks can be triggered by sub-concious triggers. You may have no idea why you are having a panic attack but your brain associates some action with a negative memory. It could be as little as hearing a certain sound.
HopieRemi
Everyone has different types of triggers. Sometimes it can be something completely random. Everyone is different.
liludallas
Anything can connect to our memories, thoughts, and fears. Something you see on the street, or an object or a person that reminds you of someone or something in your past. Sometimes, when we have to much of a free time on our hands, we get into thinking about things that went wrong in our past or might get wrong in future.
warmWaterfall22
Any number of things can cause anxiety for people. It will vary from person-to-person. Panic attacks may have specific triggers, but it could also be for an unknown reason. Knowing how to work through them and being able to recognise how they manifest in you can help you stave them off or lessen their impact. After you recover from one, think about what happened, keep note of the triggers and see if you can recognise them should they happen again. Start working your way through them as soon as you can, to reduce their impact.
Anonymous
When you have an anxiety attack it's usually triggered by something going around you (meaning if you take the outside factor out, then it will subside). A panic attack is caused when nothing is going on and there is no discernable trigger, so to answer the question there is no outside trigger. The reason why panic attacks happen is unclear really.
Anonymous
Well...You have to start trying to figure out what triggers them. Your surroundings, thoughts, someone else's actions, it could be anything. Stress could also be a reason.
Anonymous
Anxiety and panic can be triggered by the simplest of thoughts. While there might not be something going on around you, you may think of something that triggers this response, such as a public situation.
Armora
Everyone who suffers from anxiety or depression gets triggered by different things, persons, situations,... A similiar question would be Why do some people get triggered? But also this depends from person to person. Some get memories that really go deep, or they might be afraid of surtain situations, people, elements etc. These are just a few examples. I guess what i'm trying to say is there is no real answer to this question. Since we can not compare ones suffering to anothers. They all suffer differently.
Anonymous
Insecurity triggers anxiety and panick attack. When people have no confident and they start to worry about what the others might think, Then they overthink it. They keep think and think about what the worst scenerio could happen untill it creeps them out, then panick attack happens.
amiablePeace77
unprocessed thoughts, being like in a spiral going up and down but never reaching the point to finish with a negative thought that could cause anxiety and panic attacks. any comments or actions from the outside we see as "negative" can be a trigger but also simply not having anything to focus on, the brain will easily pick up existing negative stories in our head to have something to do.
PxrfectWorld
Your mind has the ability to wander when we are not distracted. Usually, this is why we are the most anxious at night or when we are by ourselves. When we aren't doing something else, we end up getting caught up in our fears and negative thoughts. Almost everyone has been there.
Anonymous
For me when I had panic attacks, it was typically certain thoughts that would up my heart rate to where I started hyperventilating or it was my hypochondria, which triggered fears that something was wrong with me, then I would get numb from the hyperventilation and freak myself out even more and next thing you know I'm in a full blown panic attack.
loyalCanine
For myself, this usually occurs when I am alone. I believe it to be when our focus externally is reduced because we are not occupied with an activity or project. Our focus then turns inward and we begin to look for potential difficulties or far of problems. Unfortunately, I think our judgmental side also turns onto ourselves generating a phantom opponent and causing the anxiety.
Anonymous
When nothing is going on, it means your mind is left empty allowing anxiety to take up residence there. Anything could trigger your anxiety, it is unique to each person and we all experience it in different ways. When your anxiety is taking up your whole mind it builds up to a panic attack level. Together we can work together to push the rising panic down, and help you find ways of crowding out your anxious thoughts.
NataEcho
October 22nd, 2017 8:44am
Thinking about or remembering past events in your life can trigger anxiety and panic attacks as you relive unpleasant memories. Thinking and worrying about the future can also trigger anxiety and panic attacks as you worry about what's going to happen, whether you'll be successful, the consequences if you fail, inadequacy etc.
caringTurtle35
A life of a Pacific Islander, Money and family obligation seems to be the culprit that triggers anxiety. Children in this part of the world are investments to our parents and families regardless of how you were raised. You are expected to give back and don't questions your obligations either it is a family or extended family related. Most of these obligations involves money and your time to attend. Please don't get me wrong I love my family and my communities but sometimes their expectations is too much to bear. My anxiety shows in a form of not sleeping due to so many things in my mind or been rude in my words so I could protect myself from being hurt or lashing back in a language that hurts the other person. The pay back is a bitch but at that exact moment there is a relief that they got your message and u could embrassed it for a moment. I wonder if I am the only person in this world with these issues. Vinaka
majesticYellow
Your mind is thinking to much about something even if you don't know what it is. Sometimes we overthink things and our body reacts to that.
aestheticbeebo
I guess when you're alone you start thinking and then you start to stress out on the real random stuff in your life and that triggers it.
eeveeon
Sometimes it can be anything. My best opinion would be that your brain has gone into a fight or flight mode, causing you to panic. Panic attacks and anxiety such as these is usually a chemical imbalance in the brain, requiring medication, therapy or relaxation techniques to reduce episodes and to control panicking situations.
Anonymous
Sometimes we dont know the reason for our anxiety or there is not reason at all! I believe the best you can do in that situation is to do things that relaxes you and forget about the cause
usefulPiano76
Unfortunately for me when I am working and two many people in my store I do not like having so many people in a small place
cuddlyDay48
Mostly Bad experience associated within a certain place, a sound or even a person there must a stimulant that causes the anxiety
Anonymous
The past, and the thought of the future. They scare you into panic attacks. They can cause depression to.
Pelican42
Sometimes, You can end up asking yourself questions to develop a story in your head or to solve a problem then suddenly something will come to you. Perhaps its a question of uncertainty - "Do they talk to me because they like me?" or a realization - "There is going to be a lot of people there", But from that point it begins to spiral out of control, driven by self-doubt or dread leading to an anxious feeling that is too difficult to shake off until the event happens or until you can find some way to distract yourself, or a feeling of dread with a perception such as "It is unavoidable" and mentally pushing yourself into a corner until you end up breaking.