What's the best tip to calm down?

Kajsa Futrell, RTC

I specialise in respectfully helping people navigate their way through trauma and relationship issues. The adversities in our life can actually transform us.

indigo888
When you're feeling really stressed or down, drop everything and go take care of yourself! I love to go make a cup of tea or cocoa, put on some mediating or relaxing music, read a book. Watch your favorite TV show. Take a walk outside. You could even go take a bath and think of all your problems drifting away. I know life can get so complicated but at the end of the day we must remember to love our self.
Anonymous
Take a few deep breathes and tell yourself things are going to be okay. Think about the bigger picture and try not to sweat the small stuff.
valdenan
Take deep breaths. Focus on your breathing. With every in breath, count 1 and every out, count 2, until you get to 10. Repeat this until you feel more calm. Then, when you're ready, reflect on how you felt before breathing. Say to yourself "I just felt this emotion. I let it come to me, and now I'm letting it go." Come back to your center.
Anonymous
First off you need to take control of your breathing. Take deep breaths, counting to ten. Then once you have found your centre and have control over your breathing, begin to think about what might be troubling you, and hopefully you should assern what is causing you to be as such.
Anonymous
Doing something physical like walking, swimming or deep breathing. Also a great trick I learned was the 5 senses. Where ever you are count 5 things you can see, smell, touch, hear and taste if possible. It's very grounding and can get you out of your head & back into your body.
Anonymous
to focus on something else and keep your mind occupied until you relax . There are things like count backwards or focus on a good memory etc..
Anonymous
For me recently it’s is using a ice cube and putting it on my hands and wrists and around my neck as well as deep breaths however ice cubes seems to do the trick
Breathing is a good way to calm down. It is easy to learn and can be done anytime anywhere. Many other mindfulness exercises can be learned as a way to calm down.
Anonymous
What helps me is to count out of order: 7, 2, 4, 10, and so on. Our minds can't freak out and focus on something that doesn't make sense too. I hope that helps!
healerhumor
One of the best tips for calming oneself down is to think of the positive things. Always remembering before speaking up that words once blurted can never be taken back. Just like wounds, they heal but scars remain.
Anonymous
simply breathing! in and out slowly with your eyes closed. perhaps use a meditation app or calming music on youtube as i’ve found that it helps me to calm down significantly more than when it’s quiet. being alone can also help some people. have a safe place to which you can retreat whenever you feel angry, overwhelmed or anxious, so that you can calm down on your own. this may help a lot. also, some people find that drinking water calms them down, just slow and small sips until they are feeling more calm and less agitated or stressed
Eddy93
Open calming apps like "Calm" or "Headspace" and listen some mindfulness meditation =) If the anxiety is severe then I suggest to have some deep breathing and after that try progressive muscle relaxation, or you can combine them! https://www.verywellmind.com/ways-to-calm-down-quickly-when-overwhelmed-3145197 Sometimes basic things can also help, for example prepare your favorite tee and start to read your favorite book! Or watch your favorite tv show on netflix! If you have a dog, then you can have a walk outside with your dog! If nothing from these activities don`t work, than try some immediate physical activities- do 20 jumping jacks, 20 push apps etc! It will distract you from anxiety!