When do I know it's the right time to see a professional for my anxiety?

Elena Morales, LMHC

I believe silence creates a cycle. With empathic and collaborative therapy, we break the cycle. I help clients feel validated and supported passed anger, shame, and anxiety.

Manneken
If you are thinking about it then the time is right. If it turns out that you only need a little re-assurance, then you will still have done the right thing by tackling it before it gets worse. In any case, a professional will be better placed to judge your needs and once you have been there you will have a better perspective on your position.
bountifulWillow67
You should seek professional help for anxiety when it starts interfering with your everyday life.
Neyaboo
If you have to even ask the question, you know it's the right time to seek a professional's help with this.
dancer19
If you feel like your anxiety is disrupting your day to day life, it may be time to talk to a professional. Making the decision to go to a professional can be anxiety-producing itself. In fact, the hardest part of the whole process might be picking up the phone to make your first appointment!
HawaiianAir
The right time to see a professional for anxiety is as soon as you can. : ) If this is something you're thinking about, then it's likely you have good reason to see a therapist, and if you have health insurance, you should go for it. Also, it can take weeks sometimes to schedule with someone good so you may as well go ahead and book it. What's the worst that can happen?
Emma64
When you feel comfortable and it feels 100% right to you. As long it is you making the decision then you will know.
Anonymous
You will have to seek professional help if its been too long and if its inter-fearing with your day to day activities.
gentleRabbit
When you no longer can control the levels of your anxiety and relaxation techniques stop working. If you feel too overwhelmed by your anxiety and it is beginning to control your life or personal relationships, it's time to see a professional. Anxiety does not control you, you are the one in charge!
peace1991
I think its time to see a professional when its all you can think about and it distracts you from everyday life.
Lovekensa
When you feel that it is disrupting your day to day life. When you feel like you can't manage it by yourself and need help to control your panic attacks.
Anonymous
If it includes every day - breathing issues, fainting, dizzy, worrying alot and you can't handle it you need someone's help urgent then its better to consult to your doctor and get help asap before its out of control.
strongerthanever
anytime is the right time, i know for me it was when it started to interfere with my everyday life for example going to the shops but not being able to get out of the car.
Laura94
When you no longer feel like you can function without some sort of help. Especially if you suffer from symptoms such as chest pains, tension and panic attacks etc.
ToriD1994
When your anxiety leads to a lowering of functionality, here meaning your perceived ability to do daily activities, or overwhelming distress in which the anxiety is consistently on your mind hindering your enjoyment of your life, it is the right time to see a professional.
Chelsdeanne93
You should seek help when you feel like a professional will be helpful to you. If you feel overwhelmed and that your anxiety is interfering with your life, seeing a professional is a good move.
Lovelydaytoday
If your anxiety is affecting you daily normal functions and interfering with your life responsibilities, it may be time to see a proffesional. They can assist you in taking the right steps towards eliminating it.
Alicat711
If you feel like your anxiety is having a negative impact on your life and prevents you from doing things you want to do, it's probably a good idea to talk with a professional about it. Doctors are really nice about it and can come up with the best way to treat and improve your anxiety.
Crye
If you feel that you need to see a professional right away, then you could consult a doctor immediately. But based on your question, (hope I'm not coming off as too assuming, just trying to offer a different perspective) it doesn't feel urgent enough. I guess, you should still seek help asap if it interferes with your normal life and you've been feeling some form of pain for a period of time (even if you don't have a fever). But you could also clear it up with your guidance counselor or human resources division. So that you could get back to your usual life more smoothly.
Anonymous
When it affects your social life and daily life and you just can't talk to anyone this means that you should see a professional
Anonymous
When ever you feel like it Hun! When you feel like you may need some guidance then do it in your own pace
Joeypencil881
When I've tried everything that I could to alleviate the anxiety that I'm feeling but still couldn't succeed in doing so.
softIceCream7788
When it interferes with your daily life, sleeping, eating, working, communicating with people, trusting, loving, working, exercising, going to school. If anxiety stands in the way of performing daily tasks and it persists, then you need to see a therapist.
CopperSkies
There is no 'right time' to see a professional, especially for mental health issues as they can really start to spiral out of control. Once you begin to notice anxiety and recognise the symptoms you should think about seeing a doctor, before it starts to really affect your life.
Anonymous
It's all about what you think is the right time, but if your anxiety is taking over your life or keeping you from doing things that you need or want to do, you should probably see a professional.
Chantelly121
Professional help should be sought if you feel you cannot function adequately in every day situations such as work, socialising, at school or at home. If it getting in the way of you enjoying your life, then seeking professional help is key
arinlaw12
Sometimes, anxiety can be smoothed out with a little TLC, a listening ear, and support. However, if anxiety is preventing you from doing what you love, is a constant struggle, and pulls you into a depression, perhaps you should seek professional help.
MissKitty73
Anxiety can be scary and hard to understand/manage. I started seeing a professional when I built up the courage, but I knew I needed their help when I no longer could manage my symptoms on my own. You know you better than anyone else, and you know what's best. If it's time to have assistance on your path, be honest to yourself about your needs and seek guidance.
Anonymous
If you have anxiety often and it has effected how you live your life. If you have panic attacks often, worry constantly, and can't seem to find a way to help your anxiety are a few signs you should seek some professional help. I have felt all these things in my life and have seen help which i benefited from.
Anonymous
I found that when my anxiety and depression was actually interfering with my life it was time to seek some professional help. I found is so very helpful and life saving to have a second reasoned opinion from a person trained in psychology/psychiatry who knew what I was talking about. Best thing I ever did!
adoredHug70
When it's hard to carry on daily activities without feeling overwhelmed. When you are having more than 2 panic attacks daily. When you are having symptoms like chest pain and difficulty breathing.