Who can get anxiety?

Brenda King, PsyD

I treat life changes, women’s issues, and issues of aging using evidence-based treatments with healthy doses of warmth, empathy and humor to enhance healing and growth.

recurrenced
Anyone! Mental illness does not discriminate. Everyone experiences symptoms of anxiety from time to time, it's natural for new, unfamiliar, or challenging situations to prompt feelings of anxiety or nervousness. However, some people struggle with severe forms of anxiety. Anxiety disorders are mental health conditions that involve excessive amounts of anxiety, fear, nervousness, worry, or dread. Anxiety that is too constant or too intense can cause a person to feel preoccupied, distracted, tense, and always on alert.
Anonymous
Anyone prone to harboring many worries or concerns. Anxiety seems to creep up on those who are deeply caring, perfectionistic or feeling vulnerable. Or all three! So if you find yourself preoccupied with others (what they think, how they feel), place the greatest importance on doing 'the right thing' at all times, or if you tend to feel unsafe and fear harm in situations out of your control, these are anxiety breeding grounds. So, anxiety can evolve from personal attributes (e.g. being highly empathetic), or situational and environmental factors (like living in poverty). If you find anxieties are interfering with your life, I hope you reach out for support.
smileforawhile
Anyone and everyone can get anxiety. Anxiety can be caused by stress and trauma. If your family has a history of having anxiety disorders, you're more likely to develop it.
hardtimesbetterlife12
Anyone can get anxiety even children have been known to exhibit symptoms of anxiety and it often goes unrecognized and or passes with time or professional aid.
Anonymous
Anyone can get anxiety! It's part of life in everything you do. I can really guarantee you that everyone you know has been anxious at least once in their life for something. Be it social or anything.
Anonymous
Anyone and everyone! It's natural for us to get anxiety from time to time. Whether it be severe or very minimal. It is a normal reaction to being overwhelmed by something.
Erynn
Anyone! It's mixture of biological factors and environmental stressors. For some people it's almost 100% biological (ex: "I have a great life, I've never had a traumatic experience, and yet I'm continually anxious") and for others it's almost 100% due to experiences (ex: "Something bad happened to me in the past, and now I am really anxious."). For most people it's a mixture (ex: "Some hard stuff happened, and some of my family members also struggle with anxiety or other illnesses, and I struggle with anxiety.")
Anonymous
anyone. everyone. the disorder doesn't discriminate. but if you have a high family history than it is more likely
lorka
GAD develops in about 1 in 50 people at some stage in life. Twice as many women as men are affected. It usually first develops in your 20s but is frequently being recognised in older people.
KKGunner
Anyone, really, but certain conditions make it more likely for it to develop, e.g trauma, a significant life change, long periods of emotional distress, being around someone who mistreats you, etc.
hannahbeexox
Anyone. Anyone at all. Anxiety comes from within.. it's a demon many people face. All of us could be victims if we let it overtake us.
SocialButterfly31
Everyone gets anxiety at sometimes in their lives and if they don't then they are lying. I feel anxiety can be something positive or negative for example you can feel positive anxiety because your are anxious about getting married and walking down the aisle. Or in a negative way that you are feeling anxiety because you think you won't pass the test.
neverletlifetakeyourspark
Anyone can get anxiety or any other mental disorder without any particular reason. Sometimes the brain just gets sick. But don't worry, EVERY mental disorder is curable.
lollo
Honestly, everyone can get anxiety. Even before I was raped, when I was a happy, carefree person, I found myself becoming anxious. There is no shame in having anxiety, I believe everyone has it, it is just the level of intensity that differs from person to person.
SweetlySerene85
Anyone can get anxiety. It has been tested and seen in people of all ages. Sometimes it will happen as a teenager. Often it will develop in adulthood with increasing stresses and obligations. But it is always handleable.
toFindPeace89
Everyone can get anxiety. Anxiety is synonymous with fear, which modern culture and media unfortunately perpetuates. You are not alone in your anxiety. It is extremely prevalent, probably more than ever.
Das
Anyone- anxiety isn't specific to a certain type of person, so if you are anxious don't feel like your issue isn't real
willaur
Anybody can get anxiety, it's how each individual processes that anxiety or manages it that makes a difference. Some people get anxious but it doesn't affect their day to day lives, whereas others are highly impacted by the anxious feelings.
Anonymous
Anyone. (I had to take up 100 characters to fulfill the field requirement, but Anyone is accurate.)
pie314159
anybody can get anxiety. it doesn't have a gender, race, or age preference. anxiety is usually caused by a long term of stress.
Anonymous
Anyone can have anxiety. Most of the time you wouldn't recognize someone having anxiety could be the person next to you maybe even a celebrity on TV.
BellaIvy77
Absolutely anyone can get anxiety, no matter how severe, how old, young, rich or poor, it can happen to anyone, whether it be from a traumatic event, or from daily life, you're not alone. There are people to help you through it.
Anonymous
Everyone feels anxious sometimes – worried or afraid of something happening, or obsessed about something happening in a certain way. When that fear or anxiety becomes something that gets in the way of your life (school or work, relationships, ability to enjoy things or cope), doesn’t go away and causes you distress, that is when it could be a more serious anxiety disorder.
admirableFaith91
November 2nd, 2015 8:37am
People coming from a bad childhood experience can get anxiety easily. It has been seen that children who face any negative experience like bullying, abuse or lack of confidence has a tendency of getting anxiety after they become adults.
Anonymous
People who are highly stressed. Depressions and past/current difficult distressing experiences can also cause anxiety. It's important to breathe slowly and count to 10. Plus to sip water and get fresh air asap.
Anonymous
Everybody can get anxiety, stress, and depression are two main causes of people getting anxiety according to what I learned
Anonymous
Anyone can get anxiety. People with Depression People overweight and eating disorders also causes it
Anonymous
Technically, everybody gets anxiety! Anxiety is a healthy response to stressors, and is evolutionarily adaptive. Anxiety is NOT adaptive when it begins to cause significant distress or impair your every day functioning. Anxiety disorders are quite common and treatable; if this sounds like you, set up an appointment with your doctor or a counselor/therapist!
Anonymous
Anyone can get anxiety. As there are also many types of anxiety it can happen to anyone in different forms.
Anonymous
Anybody can get anxiety. It affects 1 in 4 people in their lifetime. We can't choose who has anxiety