Why am I anxious at night before bed?

Why am I anxious at night before bed?
★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

Danielle999
This is a time where you're alone with your thoughts - there is no one there to talk to, and nothing to distract you. Your brain isn't over stimulated, so it is able to go into deep though. You tend to over think or exaggerate things in your mind. So when all is quiet and everyone else has gone to sleep, those thoughts you've buried all day come out to play.
LanternintheStorm78
I am anxious at night before bed worrying about what is going to happened the next day, even if there is nothing stressful, I still have an insane need to worry about it.
Sharan
Too many things going on all at once in your head. . So much to get done, not breaking things down into chunks and feeling anxious just from the thought of doing certain things. . Not taking the time to relax and spend time to do things that you enjoy and things that make you feel happy and relaxed. Motion = Emotion and the more you move about, exercising and even being active doing an activity you enjoy as well as drinking plenty of water and eating well can help keep your mind functioning well and keep you energised and refreshed and you will feel less anxious as you are allowing yourself to focus on the things that will make you feel good.
Anonymous
An answer I've always heard is that your mind wanders places as you're getting ready for bed. This is because of your mind getting ready to dream or getting ready for the next day, which isn't good for your mental or physical health if it won't let you sleep. A possible way to help is to write some thoughts down on a piece of paper and give a little detail on the notes before bed.
UnknownAngel
Maybe its because you are thinking to much. it is good to meditate before bed to release negatively.
PracticalMaple
You may be worried about the day thats about to come, or maybe dreams if you get bad dreams? relax yourself as much as possible before bed, relaxing shower/bath with good music and nicely scented candles and anything to get you in to your own happy place
kthepoet13
A therapist told me once that our anxiety and depression typically comes at night because of one sole fact: it's night. At this point in the day, our minds are quieting, yet mostly alive. We don't really have anything better to do and we're just settling down for the evening. Due to this, our mind starts thinking, since we have nothing to distract us. That's usually why. Our demons attack us when there's nothing for us to fight with.
LadyOphelia5
If you have a pressing issues to handle the next day, you might experience a heighten sense of anxiety.
enlightenedWillow78
i feel anxious because of my future and traumatic experience during day might also be one the reasons for being anxious
elliejade
It could be because you are thinking too much about what is gonna happen the next day, say you don't think your homework is right.
Jessicka
Probably because you're winding down from a long day, trying to fall asleep, then your thoughts about what you may do tomorrow or how earlier that day went could be a cause for that anxiousness.
Anonymous
It is likely just your thoughts from the day. Try to give yourself time to relax and unwind from the day - if possible, turn off the TV, turn off the computer, turn off your phone and just go screen free for a good 30 mins to an hour before bed.
Anonymous
You have all the days thoughts rolling through head. Try writing your thoughts down at the end of the day
compassionateShoulder97
In my experience, I have experienced anxiety before bed because of all the thoughts that come when I lie down. There are no distractions, only darkness and silence and your thoughts. It can be difficult to turn them off, especially if they are negative or frightening. A way to help with this, I have found, has been to go to bed happy after doing something that I love to do, even if it is just relaxation.
Anonymous
That's a really good question, lots of people feel anxious at night for many reasons, part of this is the fact that you alone with your thoughts and start thinking what if? The way to overcome this is to think about the present, remember these thoughts only last for a few minutes. Then there gone, try and keep your mind occupied
Nati24
If you feel anxious at night before bed you must evaluate what you had to eat that day, also if you've experienced an event or talked to someone who made you feel anxious.
Anonymous
I am the same why, for me, it's a time that I have to think about what happened in the day and what i have to do for the following day, so scary things stress me out but i still have to do them.
Anonymous
Usually in my experience, i was anxious at night before bed whenever I had something important to do the next morning
ChlobiWanKenobi
It is common to be anxious at night before bed because you know that when you go to sleep you're going to have to wake up and you are not sure what the next day will bring. If you are being bullied at school for example, it is possible you are anxious about what will happen tomorrow. Your thoughts are most active before you sleep as well as you do not have anything to put your mind on. Playing soft, melodic music will help you get to sleep.
mrnjyclmc
Because we think of everything we've been through before going to bed and that includes our problems and trials we had throughout the day. We feel anxious because of the negative thoughts popping in our mind while thinking of everything we've done wrong.
bestWillow37
The next day, what will happen that I'm not prepared for that I didn't study for or what did I forget about?
ElatedBliss85
At bedtime all of the worries you have accumulated over the course of the day will now begin to float through your mind. Being alone in a dark room doing nothing but lying there with your thoughts allows you no distractions from them, which often allows them to grow bigger. You can try concentrate on taking some deep breaths and slow your heart rate, allowing you to fall into a calming sleep.
blissfulSunrise93
Do you have nightmares at all? Or you could be anxious about what could possibly happen the next day.
BlackYuki
Becouse I couldn't do anything good that day and i lived for nothing... I breathe for nothing, and all i do speaking was to hurt somebody with my depression
WarmBeauty46
When you are laying in bed, you expect to relax, but that does not always happen. Instead you mind is now free to expand on all of your problems from the day. A great way to help this is to entertain your thoughts with something else!
Anonymous
Living a stressful life can cause this or just having to must things on your plate. I helped myself with meditation throughout the day and just taking time out for yourself helped me.
iouty
The brain at night is trying to problem solve which can make you feel excessively anxious at any given nightly time.
JoeMarlo
This can be a range of things, fear of waking up sick is something I struggle with. Being unconscious is another trouble for some people as they may feel defenseless or worry about being attacked whilst unawares. Understandable to a mild level but if it impacts your sleep cycle every night and is damaging/obsessive please do seek help.
Dantnad
i am anxious to start another day, to sing, to record again, i love what i do, that's what i am anxious about
Anonymous
Thoughts of the day can creep up at night and interfere with sleep. Many people are in the same situation. I wish you the best in finding a solution to it.