Why am I so nervous around my girlfriend?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

meowcolin10
At the time I was dating a girl. I always felt like the upper hand was gonna be pushed aganist me. I'm not very popular in my school and I always thought that the people in my school where gonna tell her that I was not good enough or anything in particular. She tried to assure me that wasn't true (At least at the time it wasn't.) but it was always that gut feeling.
michaelp1976
It takes time to get to be comfortable around anyone, this is especially so when it's someone you really care about.
Anonymous
Well if you really like her, it may be because you are scared to embarrass yourself in front of her. It could also be because of something she does that makes you feel uncomfortable, it all depends on the situation at hand.
AlwaysHereToHelp2232
Because you love her, she may give you a little anxiety but thats only because you dont want to mess up around her
Anonymous
It's okay to be nervous. Most people experience nervousness in their lives in some level or in some situations. It's a combination of excitement and fear. You may want to ask yourself "Why do I feel afraid around her?" and see how reasonable your concerns are, which may help alleviate your nervousness. Think: has your girlfriend ever seen you without your nervousness? It's important to be in an environment where you feel comfortable being yourself and being loved as yourself. You deserve happiness, and the very fact that she is your girlfriend is proof that she's curious about the real you.
playfulheart81
probably because you are in love and dont want to screw it up or you are hiding something..the question is vague and would need more detail
luminousHeart50
Maybe because you are afraid to be yourself around her because you think she is not going to like you for who you are. You are most likely afraid of rejection. Maybe you think you are unworthy of her love because you have some insecurities about yourself. But thats okay, that is normal, alot of people feel that way,even myself.Try focusing on yourself first before starting any close relationships with people. Learn to love yourself first for who are.
Other
Because you care about her, and that's a wonderful thing! If you didn't care, you wouldn't bother being nervous.
Anonymous
You are probably so nervous because you like her. It's alright to be nervous. In my own experience, if I am nervous around someone I will go ahead and tell them that I'm feeling nervous. Usually they can empathize or they may be feeling the same way.
Anonymous
It looks like you have stress around your partner. Could you give me any additional information about how you feel?
RaCat
Because we are always feel nervous around the people we care, we want to make an impression to them and show them our best sides :)
Anonymous
That depends, what is the nervousness? Is it because you have overwhelming feelings? Or is it because she makes you feel stressed/anxious/nervous about yourself? The two feelings are so different and should be treated as such. If its a positive nervousness then it's just because of feelings and it's perfectly okay. Otherwise... perhaps you should reconsider the relationship.
Anonymous
You may feel the need to impress her but don't know how to. And because you don't know how to you feel nervous.
sketchynight
Maybe because you love her and care about her, caring about someone that you feel nervous about saying something that will make her feel upset, angry, etc.
FeelFreeToASK
If you know someone well you never feel nervous, so that could be a possible answer to your question. Talk to her frequently it will work. Know about her, whatever you do keep the conversation rolling..
StayPositiveFriend
This really depends on the situation. You should have a talk with a listener so they can help you in more detail. But generally speaking, this often comes from a fear of losing them or low confidence - a fear of doing something that might drive them away. It sounds a lot easier than done, but fear has no place in a relationship. If she is with you then she likes you for who you are, don't be afraid to be yourself and don't worry about losing her for no reason. Remember to communicate as this is key to a healthy relationship. If she has done something specific to make you feel nervous then discuss this with her in an open and honest conversation.
AnnieAnne
If you're nervous around your girlfriend you probably care about her very much and that's a good thing! You probably want to present yourself in the best way possible and want to impress her, but consider that your girlfriend is also human and make mistakes too. As you get to know each other better and become more comfortable in each other presence that situation is most likely to improve and you will start to feel better around her.
smileitswhit
That is a question that I feel you can only answer for yourself. It's important for you to evaluate it yourself and figured out way.
Anonymous
It's natural to be nervous around your partner, especially if it's a new relationship. Many people experience nerves in romantic relationships as people feel like there is a lot of pressure to be perfect. If you're feeling nervous, talking to your partner about it, chances are they feel the same and so you can help each other through it.
mackenzieanne76
Maybe it is because you don't want to mess up or lose her because you did the wrong thing. You should tell her you are nervous around her and you guys and work out a plan or something to do about it :)
lightlovehope
Maybe because you like her so much that you seem anxious about possibly embarrassing yourself in front of her, or upsetting her?
Anonymous
Many reasons. Because you really like her so you don't want to embrace yourself in front of her is one good reason.
BlueChicManiac
because it may be new to you.you don't know whats gonna happen so its nerve raking. I not know if this was helpful but it may be...
CopperSkies
Is this your first girlfriend? If so, it could simply be because it's something that you've never experienced before and it all feels a bit odd. This is something that will improve with time, so i wouldn't worry about it :)
EstellaListens
October 22nd, 2016 6:06am
That is amcompletely normal feeling, especially if you are at the beginning of your relationship! The reason as to why you are nervous depends on your situation and relationship with your girlfriend. If you just started dating, you may be nervous for any number of reasons! It is a challenging thing to begin and build a solid relationship with another person. It is two separate individuals, coming together, sharing sometimes very intimate things and not knowing how the other person will respond! Even if you have been together for awhile, nervousness can come about with any types of change. For example, if you both are recovering from a major argument, learning/doing something new together, coming together again after long distance, etc. There are also more personal reasons. Do you feel insecure in yourself for any reason? Are you nervous around your girlfriend only or other people as well? Another important question I would consider is what type of "nervous" does she make you feel? Is it a nervous-excitement? Which may be a good feeling, like looking forward to a first date. Or is more a nervous-dread/fear? It is good to think about why you feel this way as both an individual and in your relationship with her. I wish you the best in discovering your answer!
LastHope1218
You are probably nervous around your girlfriend, because you like her and you don't want to mess things up. Probably the best thing to do would be to be yourself and be polite.
Anonymous
Maybe you are insecure. Loads of people are, it's nothing weird. Maybe just talk to her about it. That could help.
Anonymous
Relationships often carry a lot of stress/pressure and expectations, as a result it's not uncommon for your hormones to peak and cause feeling of anxiety and worry.
Anonymous
Perhaps maybe because you're afraid to lose her? I can guess you must be in relationship with her not long ago from now. Anyway, being yourself is important for a long-term relationship. I would suggest that you talk more to her, and don't just think of impressing her if you can't afford to.
Anonymous
Nothing is permanent in this world. Things comes and goes by. So does a girlfriend. If she is made for you then will stay with you