Why can't I force myself to go to class?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

CursesAndMagic
Sometimes lack of motivation isn’t something you can just snap out of. It’s difficult to force yourself to do something if you don’t want too. Motivation such as week planning, and looking after your body can all contribute to improving motivation and going to class. Also if you’re doing something you don’t enjoy for example cleaning, it’s more difficult to force yourself to undertake the task, which often acts as a barrier.
Olufon
It may be because I am frustrated with my classes and don't think going to class will help me at all.
SoftAlpaca10
June 2nd, 2018 1:00am
Classes can be a very stressful enviornment. Going to class can be very hard. You may be getting very anxious in the classroom setting.
Anonymous
If you don't find the subject on that class interesting then it'll be hard for you to attend the class.
hopefulParadise73
August 3rd, 2018 4:48am
By realizing that going to class will benefit you.You will learn something new and will emerge as a successful person
Anonymous
It can be caused by many reasons. School is a hard job - generally speaking. Sometimes it's hard to find motivation to do productive things, especially during cold winter months (when people are more tended to suffer with seasonal depression). Maybe you could think about this one subject you like and this will keep you motivated. Maybe you have some good friends at school and going there is an opportunity to meet them! You can also remember that school is a place, where you can discover what interests you and develop in this area. I don't have more information about your situation, so it's hard to give any good advice :)
empathicRiver85
This is all in the mind. It is not that you CAN'T go to class, even if you "force" yourself, it is that you subconsciously may not BELIEVE that you can go to class. Trying to force yourself only puts more negative stress on you. Try using positive affirmations after hearing your morning alarm or before you walk into class: (Ex: "I can do this", "I'm OK"). If you wake up with the preconceived notion that you are going to go through hell trying to force yourself to go to class, you won't want to go because you simply won't want to fight with yourself. Change the routine, wake up a little earlier to settle yourself and to get ready in your own time, and affirm yourself with your own words or a recording. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
providenceOlive
Sometimes people don't want to go to class simply because they lack the motivation to or don't feel the need to go because they can learn everything by themselves. Everyone's learning style is different so it's best to adopt the one that you find works best!
magicalMelody47
You can't force yourself do anything, but you always can try to think of something positive of going to class so that you'll go willingly
gratefulMind29
I think sometimes we feel afraid of our own emotions and we overestimate their power. As a result it can be very difficult to do something we believe will cause us pain and discomfort and therefore avoid it.
Anonymous
You can, but there must be an underlying reason. Tell me more about how you feel about your classes..
2cupsofteaa
Perhaps because class induces stress in you, and nobody likes sitting through hours of lectures, especially if the professor is boring. Perhaps you're just tired too and don't find the subject entertaining
Anonymous
When I was in college, I had trouble getting energy to go to class due to my depression. It could be due to anything from depression to anxiety.
WishfulMoon
You shouldn't. You should do what makes you happy. And if you don't want to go to class, make something that hepls you to be a better person. Desvolt your personality. Make what makes you feel better. It's your life
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
You know some days are harder then others... every once in a while, I wake up and I know I just can't make it to class, so I take a me day. I don't go to class and instead get some more sleep, the hope is always that when I wake up, I will feel better. Give yourself some time and get some rest.
Anonymous
Sometimes, going to class just means all the workload you're going to have, facing other classmates, having to participate in discussions and tasks. Especially for those dealing with social anxiety, it's difficult. Our minds have a hard time being brave and and saying it's now or never. But, you've got to know that at the end of the day you go to class to study and learn. Maybe when you put your focus on studies and really think about why you're going for class, it might encourage you to go instead of you forcing it upon yourself.
SincererelyAlice
March 3rd, 2017 6:58pm
Even though there was a time you could, those feelings and the motivation cannot be found everyday. It seems to spontaneously disappear, or maybe not so spontaneously if you try to understand its cause; still though, even though you know of the reason you should and that your motivation was strong enough once, it cannot bring it back for the time being.
TaranWanderer
There must be a reason you have trouble going, whether it be related to the actual class itself, or to something else troubling in your life. It's okay to have a hard time getting yourself to do things, even if you know you should do them. Try taking it slower, do little steps. Ask for help from people in the class if you can, if they can share notes or explain the lecture. Try to think about why you're having a hard time going to class, and work towards getting yourself to where you want to be. Just remember to not beat yourself up about anything you're not doing, and focus on the things that you are doing.
Anonymous
Well, there are a number of reasons that you may not wish to go to class that range from a terrible teacher to depression. Only you can decide where on that scale you are.
Tamagotome
It might be an issue of depression. I've had the same problem in my life and I went to a school counselor and it actually really helped! If you don't like your counselor, speaking to a friend you trust could also help. Or just talking to someone here on 7 cups!
Anonymous
find out what is triggering my anxiety when I need to go to class and what I can do to change the way I feel
ElanortheFair
Although class and school is important your health is more so, especially if it is college or university. Life is short and it's important to care for yourself, if going to class is going to hurt you emotionally or physically due to abuse or bullying do not put yourself through unnecessary pain. You should never feel forced into education, learning should be fun and an experience you want to do, if you feel forced you won't learn or progress at all anyway.
Anonymous
You can't force yourself to go to class is because you may be medically incapable of, sick or illness not recovered, homeschooling, got in trouble and many other ways too.
Henryoverhere
When you fall into a rut it is very difficult to get moving, especially if you are behind and do not want to face the class, try to be courageous and take initial steps towards going
Anonymous
You just cannot force yourself to go to the class because it is not something which you're doing for other people. It's something you're doing for your own good. So you should be interested in what you do
ConsumeWordsNotDrugs
January 31st, 2018 5:48pm
Its not a class on forcing, more a case on wanting. Its important to look at the long term benefits of it, and remembering that one day all of this hard work will pay off.
tranquilSoul93
February 1st, 2018 4:37pm
Forcing won't help you just have to make your mind that there is something interesting to learn start talking interest in particular topic or make group of friends with whom you can get along in class this way your study will also improve.
Anonymous
February 1st, 2018 10:45pm
It could be you have experienced extreme stress or anxiety toward school. Try thinking positive now.
PosiPotato
Sometimes small things feel like big things and that is ok. Perhaps you are feeling like class is one of those big things today.
cardology
Going to class means having to focus, having to listen, to pay attention, and often times to socialise too. The classroom can be a setting for stress, anxiety and pressure. While the classroom is associated with these negative emotions, it might be much harder to convince ourselves to attend while we're going through a difficult time.