Why can't I force myself to go to class?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

Anonymous
Is there something that’s making it hard for you to go to class? A person there? The work itself? Whatever it is, identify this obstacle, and find a way to remove it. If it’s a person, try talking to your professor. If your workload is too much, also talk to the professor. If you are finding that you physically cannot muster up the energy to go, there are many things you can do to help! Try drinking more water in the mornings. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Make small, gradual changes to your lifestyle and you will notice a difference. I hope this has helped you, or someone else reading this! All the best x
Anonymous
August 2nd, 2019 12:37pm
The reason is that you are forcing yourself and not doing it wholeheartedly. It's a tough job to attend all classes and take down lectures but something interesting or a passion for something makes us attend them. It could be a simple reason such as shortage of attendance or compulsions from parents. Its rare to find students who love to go to school or college for studying . It's done for sake of doing until you like something about it. People don't go to class mostly because of laziness or oversleeping or frustration. There are multiple reasons. Doing something you like and something acceptable in the environment of a classroom could make you attend the classes.
Jezbr
There could be many reasons. Anxiety can pin us to chairs and floors without us knowing why. I had a season of life where I couldn't get off a chair. I was stressed and isolated and unable to function properly. And slowly I figured out what was a part of the maelstrom that ended with the chair freeze, but, know that it happens to many people. It is often your body and minds reaction to some things in your life and is stops you. Just relax. Find a place in your mind and body to find some kind of stillness. Now if the question is more to "I am physically able to go to class I just don't want to" then you could track where that fear/ anxiety/ boredom comes from. To find ourselves safe in a room of strangers to learn sometimes difficult concepts, we need some semblance of protection, resilience and desire.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2019 8:45am
Sometimes you just need rest yourself and want to taking time for yourself. It's okay. Sometimes classroom being boring or you feel unhappy there. Just remember that you are human and you need to be free. But class not bad at all. I mean there are something good and bad there. But I think you just learn to be positive thinking and think about your future. Yeah, education not guarantee all of our future.. But it Will help you.. The impact is deal with your pain every you step at class. And then.. My last advice.. Don't force yourself. Just make reflection, "what do you want for your future life?"
Anonymous
It sounds like you are having trouble to attend the class. There can be many reasons behind that. Like your class is on a time where you don't feel convenient to go to it may be difficult for you to attend classes on such a time. So in that case I would suggest to have someone with you go attend class with your buddy. And if it is too early then set up alarm so you can wake up early and try to sleep early. It can be difficult sometimes to attend class but if you make yourself disciplined to go there no matter how you feel then a time will come when you'll feel better . So keep trying you'll get better. And make good friends that way you can also get help in attending the class. Exercise keep yourself healthy it may also help you
Twokindears
There are times in life when we become so overwhelmed that getting out of bed is a great task! If there are a lot of stress in our life and e have to work on resolving them before we can move forward! Taking one step at a time and completing smaller tasks will help to prepare us for the next task! Just like climbing stairs; each step is an incline, the lower the step the easier it is to master it! So with things we do in life we must take one step at a time until we are able to achieve the desired goal!