Why can't I talk easily in front of my class?

Sandra Butler, AOD, DV counselor

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Experienced in understanding how emotions and feelings affect our lifes in every aspect of interacting, not just with others, but how we process those emotions. I can help you

AuntieLili
I talk easily now, but as a child and young person I was mortified. This came from conditioning in my childhood of feeling shame from having critical controlling parents. I had to retrain myself. Substitute teaching helped me a lot. I subbed for years. I found it funny that in the beginning I was so unnerved by even having a class of kindergartners looking at me. I had to train myself to withstand the direct eye contact. I have no problem speaking now. It took facing the fear over and over until it was no more.
Dinaskhalill
Maybe you're just a shy person and that's okay! :) don't worry too much. You might also have anxiety, and there's a lot of ways to get over it!
Anonymous
As a person who has public speaking experience when we first experience this feeling because we are doing a new task that we never did before. One of the key tips that I learned over the years is looking at a spot on the wall right above their heads so it looks like you have eyesight with them still. After a few times experience speaking in front of the class the anxiety of speaking in front of the class should decrease over time with practice.
KittyLikesToScratch
Some people have anxiety when giving presentations or speaking in front of large crowds. This is a common phobia! Everyone has times where they feel overwhelmed by the potential of being embarrassed.
Hometown2017
I know for me that talking in front of people at school seems super scary. Even though l know that no one will judge me I still am scared. When I feel this way i try taking deep breaths so that i can calm my brain. Then I say what i need to while looking at the back of the room. Then before I know it it is over with.
strawberryPudding82
Many people are like that. I could talk in a conference, or a big meeting but when it comes to a public meeting at home, I stumble because I feel embarrassed if I make a mistake. I read of a trick some use where they choose someone they trust, keep your eye on them at first and block out all others. If it is going to be a long talk, then you could try glancing at others to widen your comfort zone. Remember, we all stumble, and one way to get around it is to memorize either by point since you should well know what you are talking about or if you have a great memory, memorize all that you have to say. If you don't have a good memory, keep your notes handy and you can better control shaky hands by holding them together with your notes cradled inside them. try memory exercises to do better.
Anonymous
sometimes the fear of being judged or laughed at can take over us, some people have a phobia of being social which can also cause that. but in my opinion gaining, self-confidence/self love can take over it, If you asked yourself, how does self-love change that, well when you gain self-love a lot of things come with it, probably like a bonus. like self-confidence, self care and self compassion etc..
fantasticLove52
social anxiety? it is a common thing and there's ways to overcome it. Practice giving a speech in front of your family
Anonymous
When I was in school I was in fear of being embarrassed or that I was seen as not smart enough. It always was difficult for me to compete with my classmates. They always seemed one step further than I was. But later on, I discovered that I was just very nervous and anxious. I've learned techniques to calm myself down and to strengthen my self-consciousness. That helped me a lot.
Kate
You're definitely not alone in feeling this way. It's hard to speak in front of a group. Public speaking can be intimidating and overwhelming. Keep practicing and staying brave. Eventually, it will start to get easier. If not, it could be a symptom of social anxiety in which case I would chat with a doctor about it.
Anonymous
It can be intimidating to have to speak in front of a large crowd of people at once; especially when you have to face these people every day. A lot of people worry that they are being judged by their classmates. A good thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the time in grade school, people are not being nearly as attentive as you think they are.
Anonymous
Alot of us get very nervous to talk in front if classes, thats very normal. Try thinking of it as your body preparing you to do good. We get the same feeling when we are excited and scared so maybe try thinking that you are excited
Streudel
Talking in front of a class can be a stressful endeavor for many people, especially those who have anxiety.
ElleFriend
Don’t let the fast-paced superficial world take over your life. The world is fast paced and it keeps people in their comfort zones. It stops people from thinking and keeps them busy. Being busy searching is wonderful, but don’t get so busy doing that you don’t allow yourself to feel.
comfortingOrange14
According to me, fear of objected, rejected, made fun of and commiting mistake in front of class creeps in. One has to be confident that they are as good enough as others sitting in class and ready to accept if they commit any mistake.
awesomeRose64
Could be social anxiety, or just being too focused on the idea of everyone in one place quietly paying attention to you, and that makes you feel pressure. You get nervous or stage-fright once you realize that all eyes are on you. You might feel doubt about what you're about to say, perhaps because you didn't practice your presentation enough (or with someone else to help prepare for the situation of others silently watching). It could also be that you think that they're silently evaluating your performance, but if you've ever been in that position (as the audience member of a presentation) before, you know that's not the case. Doesn't matter if it's in front of others or just by yourself. If you know what you're meant to say and do, that'll help (if only a little).
N0TW0RTHL3SS
Perhaps you have anxiety. Remember this, whenever you are going to speak publicly, speak as if you are in front of a group of naked people. Funny,huh? Well, this helps lessen the tension you may feel. Also if eye contact scares you look at the top of people's heads and look around the room, people won't be able to tell you arent* looking at them*!
eeveeon
Public speaking is not for everyone. It can be a terrifying thing, and that is very normal. Some of us experience different levels/types of anxieties and public speaking is one of them. With practice and determination it may get easier, it all depends on how you grow and progress.
Anonymous
fear of public speaking is a common thing! i suffer from this as well. i leaned that as you get more comfortable with individuals in your class they get easier to talk in front of.
Anonymous
You may be having some social or general anxiety. Many people, even if they do not show it, feel this way. It is completely normal! Try to use coping skills and self-care before classes.
Anonymous
perhaps because your afraid you may say something wrong, your mess up. there are a variety of reasons why. do you perhaps like someone in there in particular?
YasmineNotYours
it could be because you feel shy in front of all the students... or you could be feeling too self conscious when you're in front of the class
Anonymous
Is because of what i am also suffering from, Self Confidence.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2017 1:33pm
Some people are just shy and that is perfectly okay. Sometimes as much as you want to your body is trying to stop you from communicating with others in a big group. What about trying speaking to them via social media then attempt talking to them in person?
Skybringslight
Social anxiety makes it feel like every word that escapes your mouth is going to be judged by the entire class! Of course you can't talk easily in front of your class. Public speaking is daunting, you are not alone in that.
Weareenough
December 23rd, 2017 8:04am
It is a very common for people to feel fearful about public speaking. In fact, it's one of the most common fears that people experience! The reasons can be complex, but for many people it boils down to humans being social creatures. It's important to belong. When we speak in public, there can be a fear of being judged by the whole group you are speaking in front of, and this can lead to not feeling accepted by the group. The fear of people judging you can be pretty powerful and talking in front of a group can sometimes amplify that fear!
Many people are uncomfortable speaking in front of other people. So it is not unusual that you do not feel comfortable. There are ways to confront this issue and most of them has to do with practice. There are support groups that you can join and work on this difficulty.
positiveLove82
Not many people can talk easily in front of a crowd. But, many people are scared of public speaking/stage fright. It's completely normal. I went through the same thing in school. Just take a deep breath and try to tell yourself they are people just like you. :)
WatchingOverYou
Because you don't feel confortable or are nervous or insecure. This is perfectly okay, some people have more trouble speaking in public than others, but it is a skill that can be trained, practice leads to perfection.
BonViveur
It is normal to find it difficult to speak publicly in front of groups of people. It is an unusual situation, talking without necessarily receiving an immediate response, and feeling like you are on show. It becomes easier with practice, and I find it helpful to remember that the audience are far less interested in any mistakes you make, and more interested in the things you have to tell them. In that way most of them are on your side, even if it doesn't always feel like it.