Why do anxious feelings create the need to go to toilet frequently?

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

Anonymous
from my personal experience going through answers feelings that causes me to go to the bathroom is simply because it is a lot to endure when you are still delicate and fresh from a situation you just barely got over as you are trying to move on with life
PeacefulKnight4u
Brain has a way of reacting to stress. Our body is controlled by the mind which in turn is governed by our emotions. So when you are stressed you get anxious. Being anxious puts a lot of pressure on the brain which leads to stress on the organs. So is panic attacks manifested in different ways like racing heart or visiting toilet, feeling light headed, shivering, loss of voice, fainting etc.. Basically the brain gives up due to stress and so the other organs try to relieve you of the stress in the way they function.
Anonymous
Fear is what makes you want to go to the toilet frequently. Because scientifically speaking as simple as possible the adrenal glands secretae adrenaline when you are scared and the adrenal prepare the body to act in an emergency and the sphincter in the bladder opens up when you're in extreme fear beucase of adrenaline. So anxious feelings have some impact on your kind like fear so that's what happens.
SUNSETOFHAPPINESS
June 2nd, 2016 6:01am
nervous or anxious can make you need to go to the bathroom frequently because the nervousness can make your stomach turn or hurt. When I get nervous or am excited or scared about being in public places, I tend to have to look for the nearest restroom.
StormyAngles18
Being anxious alone affects all parts of the body. Your body responds to different moods. So it is normal to have to "go" or feel sick if you are anxious, sometimes meditation, or reading, or spending time with family or pets can lower the anxiety levels and may reduce the amount of times needed to use the restroom.
CognitiveWitch
Great question! Many people know the feeling of an upset stomach when they're anxious. There is a biological reason behind this experience. You may have heard of the fight/flight response. When your brain perceives a threat, the amygdala sends out an alarm that triggers a cascade of neurotransmitters to be released (adrenaline and cortisol). These neurotransmitters activate the sympathetic nervous system, which plays a key role in that fight/flight response. When the sympathetic nervous system is activated, it has many effects on the body, such as increasing heart rate, increasing respiration, and even rerouting blood flow to power major muscle groups in the arms and legs. In this case, it is causing digestion to suddenly stop which often leads to stomach pain and cramps. While it may have been advantageous for your ancient ancestors to urinate and defecate when faced by a threat (making them lighter/faster and less palatable to certain predators), it can definitely cause issues for you in modern times and it becomes important to learn skills to cope with the anxiety triggering that upset stomach.
Anonymous
Anxiety causes your muscles to tense and eventually that puts pressure on the bladder and you feel the urge to urinate. If it's happening more often then you should visit a doctor.
ElaineSaysHello
Perhaps these feelings are physiologically correlated to paranoia and activating something in our bodies to make our bladder go haywire, which forces us to use the restroom frequently. But then again, I would consult a licensed professional about these matters. Sometimes it doesn't even have to involve anxiety, but a urinary system issue which is a completely different case.
Anonymous
it does that because your scared or desperate something and when that happens you would need to go a lot more frequently.
Anonymous
Panicking and having fears make us feel the need to go to the bathroom more frequently because the anxiety that we're feeling puts stress on our bodies as well. Stay calm and keep yourself healthy.
NamasteRiver
Anxiety is linked to several parts of the brain and the levels of certain chemicals in the brain. When our anxiety is triggered our bodies go into fight or flight mode which initiates some changes in the body for example heart beats faster to enable more blood to get to your muscles that you might be using to run! Part of this fight or flight response is that the brain tells the body to get rid off anything unnesseccary in order to be lighter in case of fighting or flight. There is a lot more information about this on the internet if you Google anxiety and fight or flight response. I Hope that helps!
June 2nd, 2016 5:28am
Hmm... Everyone is different. Those who suffer from "anxious" feelings may all experience different feelings and symptoms. If you feel that you are going more frequently than normal or usual, perhaps talking to your family healthcare provider might be a good idea and get you the answers that you seek. Good Luck!
Anonymous
Cause it increases heart rating, so does blood pressure, so our bladder is faster to react and make us go to the toilet more frequently
Belbelbel
When you feel scared, your body activates your stress response/fight or flight response. This response sends signals to different places in your body and one of those signals is about getting rid of bodily waste as quickly as possible - so you don't have to deal with it when your fleeing/fighting. That's why anxiety can make you need to visit the toilet more often.
Anonymous
The anxious feeling create that feeling because the adrenaline and blood is travelling to the necessary parts of your body your brain thinks it needs to either fight the problem or run from it. This is the flight or flight response. :)
bokchoi
When you're anxious, that's your body going into flight or fight response. Motor functions are prioritised over things like digestion and bladder control, which is why you might feel shaky and need to pee.
Anonymous
Because it's your nerves. That your body reaction so mostly likely you'll make a few trips okay????
Anonymous
Yes, our anxiety affects our bodies in many different ways, creating many uncomfortable symptoms such as frequent urinating
Anonymous
Being nervous or anxious can make you need to go to the bathroom frequently because the nervousness can make your stomach turn or hurt. When I get nervous or am excited or scared about being in public places, I tend to have to look for the nearest restroom.
SoulHealing
Anxiety is related to the Central Nervous System and everyone has different ways of somatization. Vomiting, going to bathroom frequently and other symptoms are common when you are anxious
Kittmousie
I get that feeling quite often at work. I feel as though it is in large part because I want to be alone for a minute or two. It also creates a sense of immediate relief. I've never let the fact that I go to the bathroom a little more often then others get to me. It is what it is and if that is how I need to cope, then I will take those couple minutes to myself.
Bluelight33
Hm I often heared that anxiety can maybe affect the work of the concerned organs generally. But I could imagine that someone goes to toilet cos it is a lockable room and you feel "saver" somehow. Or if the feelings go together with flashbacks and the person is somethere outside she/he want to hide the flash and be alone and undisturbed until stabilized again.
caringFriend21
Scientifically, your body produces hormones that want to speed up the process of digesting. This means that your body is on hyper speed because your neurons and hormones as well as your heart are moving faster than normal.
BearsBeetsBooks
Anxiety creates physical symptoms as well as psychological symptoms. These psychosomatic symptoms can cause bowel irregularities or gastrointestinal issues as well as many other physical symptoms, such as headaches, heart racing, chest pain, shaking, dizziness, nausea, and more. Your gastrointestinal system has a nervous system all its own. When anxiety puts you into fight or flight mode, stress hormones are released. These stress hormones have an effect on that nervous system which may cause you need to need the bathroom more frequently. Another possibility is that you're experiencing IBS or irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder that causes an array of symptoms, such as stomach bloating, abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, and constipation. If you're experiencing these symptoms frequently, you may want to check with your doctor about the possibility of having IBS and what you can do to manage the symptoms.
Kalosia
Usually because the mind finds a way to distract itself from feeling it. The mind does not want to deal with it so it finds the toilet as a distraction. It’s like a getaway. There’s nothing wrong with it. The mind is powerful but when you are going through something the mind scares you from feeling better. It thinks it’s a horrible thing to get better. In reality it’s the most beautiful thing to heal. You also get distracted by movies and games just so you can avoid facing your anxiety. It’s just part of growing up. You will learn to deal with it without distractions.
Momentai
I think that anxiety triggers the fight or flight response, where it is an advantage to evacuate your bowels incase you need to do either.
Anonymous
Maybe it makes you more sensitive or you might go to toilet frequently to subconsciously try to distract your mind from your anxiety
Aquadreamer4151
anxiety causes our adrenaline system to kick in and this causes your body to try and excrete unnecessary fluids so it can slow down non fight or flight systems
WhisperingMist
In my experience my anxiety shows up sometimes as an upset stomach and that causes me to sometimes frequent the restroom.
CopperSkies
The scientific reason behind needing to go to the toilet when anxious is that the body activates the stress response (fight or flight) and a part of that involves the body removing waste products as quickly as possible, so you wouldn't have to whilst fighting or fleeing. An example would be that if you were being chased by a bear, you would be more effective a either fighting or running away if you didn't need to stop to go to the toilet in the middle of it.